MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: HF bigger than DP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
(2013-01-21, 10:51 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Shawn is a XF pro though so I'm sure this was an easy decision for him.

Not completely true actually, he does not actually know/did not know a massive amount to do with Xenforo core. He just needed something that was up to date and allowed him to build a lot of customization that would still look fresh. Him and a lot of other DP users and still getting used to the actual core stuff. Although after a year long code job for moving DP to xF he knows a lot more now Big Grin

(2013-01-22, 03:17 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]It doesn't help that Digitalpoint has a very, very ugly design motif in general.
I agree that the design is not great now, actually less than good. He changed a few colours and that was about it. However that was the point for the alpha version which you see currently. He wanted to make the many unique, coded features he did himself work functionally and the design was to come at a later date.
DP's move to xF is a really positive action.

MyBB is the best if you want flexible forum software but if you want more social features or in other words "community software", xenForo is the way to go.

(2013-01-22, 04:09 PM)Roach Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-21, 10:51 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Shawn is a XF pro though so I'm sure this was an easy decision for him.

Not completely true actually, he does not actually know/did not know a massive amount to do with Xenforo core. He just needed something that was up to date and allowed him to build a lot of customization that would still look fresh. Him and a lot of other DP users and still getting used to the actual core stuff. Although after a year long code job for moving DP to xF he knows a lot more now Big Grin

(2013-01-22, 03:17 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]It doesn't help that Digitalpoint has a very, very ugly design motif in general.
I agree that the design is not great now, actually less than good. He changed a few colours and that was about it. However that was the point for the alpha version which you see currently. He wanted to make the many unique, coded features he did himself work functionally and the design was to come at a later date.

I am sure people visit his site for the features and content, having a "good" theme won't really make any difference at all. Though I think he should for a minimalistic approach as everyone is going that way and it wouldn't hurt.

And I'm fairly sure, he's a xF pro. Making a countless hour import into a 1 hour process, while retaining 99% of his content is something only a few could do.
What's HF stand for?
<snip>
labrocca's forum
Quote:but if you want more social features or in other words "community software", xenForo is the way to go.

I think IPB has better community and social features than XF.
(2013-01-30, 12:59 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:but if you want more social features or in other words "community software", xenForo is the way to go.

I think IPB has better community and social features than XF.

Agreed, though IPB is a lot slower in my experience.
IPB is fine in terms of speed. You just need a good server to run it.
(2013-02-05, 05:01 PM)Kolton T. Wrote: [ -> ]IPB is fine in terms of speed. You just need a good server to run it.

Pretty much exactly what I was meaning. If you're on cheap shared hosting, don't expect to be sticking on it for long if your community actually grows. It doesn't scale as well as MyBB or even XF.
(2013-01-22, 04:09 PM)Roach Wrote: [ -> ]

http://admin-talk.com/threads/6988/

What are you talking about? I don't think you're aware of how active Shawn has been over at XF these past couple years. And I never said he had anything to do with the core.
(2013-02-05, 07:09 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]http://admin-talk.com/threads/6988/

What are you talking about? I don't think you're aware of how active Shawn has been over at XF these past couple years. And I never said he had anything to do with the core.

Thanks for the link, I see the site owner of a forum I took over interviewed you as well? Smile
(one of the other interviews in that section)

Please let me know if anyone has any questions you'd like us to ask Shawn. We had a lot of fun interviewing him, it was interesting hearing what he had to say about vbulletin and xenforo at the time.

Shawn made the transition to xf with the ability to move to any other framework with a lot less work then the merge from vb looked.

Quote:Do you plan to move Digital Point over to xenforo?
Well, part of my rewrite is making everything I've built platform agnostic... so I could fairly easily migrate it all too any platform (including XenForo). As far as when/if we do... who knows. It would be more a thing where one day it just happens. Nothing really to talk about beforehand.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11