MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Showcase forum.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(2012-07-17, 10:50 PM)Audentio Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think you can make the argument that you are where you are today because people were overly critical. Or rather, that being overly critical, harsh as you say, makes people create a better forum. If anything it is discouraging.

Criticism is fine, but there is a line between being helpful and otherwise that I feel needs to be restored in this forum.

I agree with this. I read just about everything in the Showcase forum but I rarely post because I usually don't like what I read. No matter how true something is, I don't see the point - ever - in being harsh about it. There are nicer ways to get your point across to someone than the ways I've been seeing it done.

More on topic - I like Fábio's idea, and that's what I would want to see, personally.
I agree that some of the posts in Showcase can be harsh, but I am starting to feel that way too. It bugs me when I see some really nice forums - the Mahogany Folk Forum or the Nerds for example- even Renegade with his mad number of forums with his Billiards knew it was not good and was asking for help - not getting the respect/help they deserve/need..

It is all these forums that don't even try that make me feel cross - I open each one hoping to see something where I see someone who cares about the forum - and the content - and get hit in the face with yet another half empty unthemed pile of pineapples....

It is not fair on the people who are trying that by the time we reach their forum we are all so angry and jaded at the rest that the poor souls get hit with a sea of cynical remarks.

//End rant.
(2012-07-17, 11:11 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]I agree that some of the posts in Showcase can be harsh, but I am starting to feel that way too. It bugs me when I see some really nice forums - the Mahogany Folk Forum or the Nerds for example- even Renegade with his mad number of forums with his Billiards knew it was not good and was asking for help .

It is all these forums that don't even try that make me feel cross - I open each one hoping to see something where I see someone who cares about the forum - and the content - and get hit in the face with yet another half empty unthemed pile of pineapples....

It is not fair on the people who are trying that by the time we reach their forum we are all so angry and jaded at the rest that the poor souls get hit with a sea of cynical remarks.

//End rant.

I generally agree. A lot of the problem though is the staff's decision to simply close threads instead of deleting them. when they are simply closed the sites are still linked and available to be viewed giving folks with similar crap forums.

if the forum does not meet the rules (customized theme , etc) then the thread should just be deleted and the author told why. leaving them closed just leaves it up to drive traffic and supports the forum. closing for arguing, the thread falling apart, etc is one thing but nto following the rules should mean its deleted
(2012-07-17, 10:50 PM)Audentio Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-07-17, 07:29 PM)wils172 Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly I completely disagree with trying to limited users ability to showcase their new sites here for whatever reason.. The first mybb copy I showcased here was dreadful.. and the only reason I got to where I am today is b/c of the harsh criticisms I received that motivated me to improve..

I don't think you can make the argument that you are where you are today because people were overly critical. Or rather, that being overly critical, harsh as you say, makes people create a better forum. If anything it is discouraging.

Criticism is fine, but there is a line between being helpful and otherwise that I feel needs to be restored in this forum.

I think you should probably speak for yourself, here -- while not the case with MyBB, I've grown in a lot of other pursuits due to people being pretty harsh.

I think the issue here is that people are getting out of the Showcase exactly what they put into it. And in most cases, they are putting in total garbage. It's not like these are twelve year olds we're dealing with (well, mostly -- but who knows?). They're capable of doing better if they'd take more than five minutes to come up with a plan for their community.

At the same time, who can blame them? MyBB, in the name of remaining neutral and not getting itself dirty with non-software related subjects, provides absolutely no "official" tips or guides on starting a community. And it's not due to people not wanting to do it.

(2012-07-17, 11:11 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]I agree that some of the posts in Showcase can be harsh, but I am starting to feel that way too. It bugs me when I see some really nice forums - the Mahogany Folk Forum or the Nerds for example- even Renegade with his mad number of forums with his Billiards knew it was not good and was asking for help - not getting the respect/help they deserve/need..

When people are upfront that they are looking for help, I think the reaction is generally pretty positive. However, people are so fatigued by the huge amount of junk threads permeating the showcase that it's hard to put in that energy. Again, a centralized place for tips and guides on starting a community would help. I'll continue trying to construct this in an unofficial capacity, at least.
I think you should be allowed one showcase thread a month, and if it gets locked or hated on too bad. The bump limit should be 3 not 5 (or is it 3, idr). And, certain people should be blocked from using the forum IMO. Maybe have a posting limit to use it (for example, at least 300 posts).
(2012-07-18, 01:31 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]However, people are so fatigued by the huge amount of junk threads permeating the showcase that it's hard to put in that energy.

Exactly.
(2012-07-18, 01:31 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-07-17, 10:50 PM)Audentio Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-07-17, 07:29 PM)wils172 Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly I completely disagree with trying to limited users ability to showcase their new sites here for whatever reason.. The first mybb copy I showcased here was dreadful.. and the only reason I got to where I am today is b/c of the harsh criticisms I received that motivated me to improve..

I don't think you can make the argument that you are where you are today because people were overly critical. Or rather, that being overly critical, harsh as you say, makes people create a better forum. If anything it is discouraging.

I think you should probably speak for yourself, here -- while not the case with MyBB, I've grown in a lot of other pursuits due to people being pretty harsh.

wils172 said that he improved himself through harsh criticism, but you can do nothing more but speak for yourself. I was pointing out that people take criticism entirely different, and while you may claim it helped you (that is your own opinion), it is not a provable fact that harsh comments make everyone better. Thus, it is important to conclude that harsh comments do not necessarily improve people's work ethic on their forum, therefore it is NOT an excuse to be rude. And yes, it is often rude (I want to say more times than not). Not everyone is up to par as some of the rest of the community.

Can they improve from harsh criticism? Sure, but its not worth doing as there are those who will take it the wrong way. And besides, it makes our forum look like we are all rude. I've thought this for a while now, glad we are going to do something about it.
It might also be an idea to add a sticky in the new Feedback-suggestions forum about tips of what not to do as a new forum owner. Since there currently isnt one.

In that sticky general tips could be placed in regards to for example the amount of sections and the usage of tabs.
We already have had a thread about something like this a few days.. or half a week ago. With some tips though i dont fully agree with them all. I think of a more generalised version would be quite nice to see.

Also this topic could have tips of things that work etc. just a few ideas to help new forum owners get a good start.
If this is put into effect, please don't forget that the Showcase has two purposes: feedback and advertising. For that reason, I hope that the higher ups will not decide to make the new Showcase forum extremely exclusive. Forums that use the default theme, free themes, premium themes, custom themes, core hacks, advanced plugins, whatever...essentially any good site using myBB software should be something that the myBB Group is proud of, and therefore put on display in the Showcase.

I may not be a big site, or the best one, but I work hard and think I deserve a spot in a "Showcase" type forum. In addition, it's been one of my best sources of advertising. I'm sure many others feel the same way. They like this idea but don't want their small or simple site to be doomed to some wild west feedback forum for people who loves tabs, 16 niches and rainbow usernames.

My proposal is that all threads be made in the new feedback forum first. If they publicize good sites, or their admins prove they've worked hard towards improvement, a mod can clean up the thread and put it in the Showcase. Perhaps users can nominate quality threads/forums as well.

I'm not against this by any means, I just don't want the new Showcase to be nothing but Big Board Owners, people that have poured hundreds or thousands in customization, and Harajuju. Wink
(2012-07-18, 11:12 AM)cappazushi Wrote: [ -> ]If this is put into effect, please don't forget that the Showcase has two purposes: feedback and advertising. For that reason, I hope that the higher ups will not decide to make the new Showcase forum extremely exclusive. Forums that use the default theme, free themes, premium themes, custom themes, core hacks, advanced plugins, whatever...essentially any good site using myBB software should be something that the myBB Group is proud of, and therefore put on display in the Showcase.

I may not be a big site, or the best one, but I work hard and think I deserve a spot in a "Showcase" type forum. In addition, it's been one of my best sources of advertising. I'm sure many others feel the same way. They like this idea but don't want their small or simple site to be doomed to some wild west feedback forum for people who loves tabs, 16 niches and rainbow usernames.

My proposal is that all threads be made in the new feedback forum first. If they publicize good sites, or their admins prove they've worked hard towards improvement, a mod can clean up the thread and put it in the Showcase. Perhaps users can nominate quality threads/forums as well.

I'm not against this by any means, I just don't want the new Showcase to be nothing but Big Board Owners, people that have poured hundreds or thousands in customization, and Harajuju. Wink

Oh no i fully agree, but thats why i say it for example if its a forum. And not a blogpost or something in that category. It should not feature Thread rating, and it should be for people:

- Have put in a good amount of effort
- It should not be based purely on the amount of post. Yes the biggest board probably also deserve a spot, if not purely for the fact to showcase that MyBB can support big boards well to.
- It should besides themes also be a place that users can showcase how they have used plugins to enhance their site. Like for example XThread for a number of sites has done.

In the end i guess you could say it simply for users that have shown to put in a good amount of effort into a site. That looks well, and has a good management.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5