MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Admin Hub | The Home of Webmasters
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(2012-07-28, 08:34 PM)BreShiE Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-07-28, 08:17 PM)Charlie Hadden Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-07-28, 08:15 PM)BreShiE Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-07-28, 08:11 PM)Charlie Hadden Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-07-28, 08:03 PM)BreShiE Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not even going to bother replying to this.

And why would that be? I don't see what he said that would be considered illogical: it all makes sense and is perfectly valid advice.

So you're saying, in order for me to run an admin forum, I have to have a custom theme and features? Lol, why's that?

Because administration is an already overpopulated niche, and so your forum needs something to make it stand out. Being new, the content isn't there yet, and so in order to get the content there, you need something else to separate you from the rest and make people want to post on your forum rather than the next.

That was the idea with purchasing this theme. I haven't seen it on any other site, so I thought it'd seem quite unique. I've not had any complaints on the theme, everyone has loved it so I'm going to stick with it. As for features and content, they're still to come. I bought the domain 3 days ago, it's in its very early times, so there's much more to come yet. I'm currently adding content to it as we speak, but we mainly need members to also help contribute.

And then that's a perfectly valid response. I wasn't putting you or your forum down with my first comments, but since you didn't answer Anxiety's question, I was agreed with him. Now that you've gone and explained yourself, I'm not going to take back what I said - at the time it did seem logical - but I am going to slightly shift on my position, and say that as long as you do go ahead and work on those features you've mentioned, it will all come together.

I wasn't trying to start another argument (there's enough of them in the other showcase threads right now), I just didn't understand your claims of it being illogical.

Good luck with it Smile
(2012-07-28, 08:03 PM)BreShiE Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-07-28, 07:57 PM)MinecraftGeek Wrote: [ -> ]He doesn't really need to think, you should be grateful for his advice he has alot of experience with running forums so listen to him!
Also that theme is way over used and I took one look at the forum and thought where is the content?
At least get 1k posts before you advertise.

I've had a long history with him, I shouldn't have to listen to him if I don't want to. I'm not a effing zombie, I do things my way, not others' way. Also, how do you expect me to get content without advertising? Lol.

Normally i dont want to mix in fights but.. the bolded part is the most dumb statement i have ever heard.

Users dont want to go to an Empty forum if it has less then a x amount of post people will gladly pass up the forum for another one which has a far more active community. You are responsible to make a lot of post on your own forum, fill it with useful content related to what is the forum about.

Seeing what you are doing with this one and immediatley make another forum.

http://community.mybb.com/thread-123406.html

While there is nothing wrong with it you are better off focussing on one forum. Doing what your members want, make post give information etc.

Because its not about the theme, its not about the template edits its not about how you make your forum a special snowflake. Its only about content want a good example?

Your dubstep forum has:

http://www.dubstepforum.com/

As competition, the only unique things about that forum is a favicon and a ugly logo.
I expected nothing less from Breshie to be honest. I'm not being harsh but you've relaunched your dubstep forum over and over and over, and now you have this, yet you still refuse to listen to feedback. You didn't answer my question, what have you done to this forum dedicated to forum administration -- which you're claiming to be experts at -- that I haven't listed in my first post? The answer is nothing. That theme is a very popular premium theme too by the way, which isn't a bad thing if it's surrounded by good things.

I would never sign up at your forum and ask for help or willingly contribute, whether I knew you or not. The fact you simply ignore negative feedback doesn't surprise me any more; but all you have done is install a theme, change the logo, make some sections and start advertising. So I expect nothing less than the usual which will be no content being posted and the forum dying. Your ignorance is your biggest weakness Breshie.
From your posts here, you obviously don't know anything about running a community nor do you want to learn about it. I don't see any real incentive to join your forum. You should spend less time lashing out and more time considering people's feedback.

Honestly, your theme is fine but the truth is that there is nothing going on on your homepage. Just showing a list of categories is IMO not acceptable for a forum in the year 2012.
(2012-07-28, 08:15 PM)BreShiE Wrote: [ -> ]So you're saying, in order for me to run an admin forum, I have to have a custom theme and features? Lol, why's that?

Mainly because it shows potential members that you're actually a good administrator. Rolleyes

You have to learn how to take constructive criticism if you plan on being good at anything.
I don't agree that you NEED a unique theme and features (though they sure do help) but either way you need content. A fancy theme and a gimmick will only get you so far, content gets you the rest of the way.

You have no content, no gimmick and a nice though bland theme. I do not foresee success for your forum, but I wish you luck anyway.
(2012-07-28, 09:08 PM)anori Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-07-28, 08:03 PM)BreShiE Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-07-28, 07:57 PM)MinecraftGeek Wrote: [ -> ]He doesn't really need to think, you should be grateful for his advice he has alot of experience with running forums so listen to him!
Also that theme is way over used and I took one look at the forum and thought where is the content?
At least get 1k posts before you advertise.

I've had a long history with him, I shouldn't have to listen to him if I don't want to. I'm not a effing zombie, I do things my way, not others' way. Also, how do you expect me to get content without advertising? Lol.

Normally i dont want to mix in fights but.. the bolded part is the most dumb statement i have ever heard.

Users dont want to go to an Empty forum if it has less then a x amount of post people will gladly pass up the forum for another one which has a far more active community. You are responsible to make a lot of post on your own forum, fill it with useful content related to what is the forum about.

Seeing what you are doing with this one and immediatley make another forum.

http://community.mybb.com/thread-123406.html

While there is nothing wrong with it you are better off focussing on one forum. Doing what your members want, make post give information etc.

Because its not about the theme, its not about the template edits its not about how you make your forum a special snowflake. Its only about content want a good example?

Your dubstep forum has:

http://www.dubstepforum.com/

As competition, the only unique things about that forum is a favicon and a ugly logo.

No, see he was saying that I should get 1k posts before advertising it. How could I possibly post 1000 threads on my own? What'd be the point too? It'd just be a waste and look like spam. Also, I have recently started DubstepAddicts, that was a project from a few months back that I decided to re-advertise.

(2012-07-28, 09:14 PM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]I expected nothing less from Breshie to be honest. I'm not being harsh but you've relaunched your dubstep forum over and over and over, and now you have this, yet you still refuse to listen to feedback. You didn't answer my question, what have you done to this forum dedicated to forum administration -- which you're claiming to be experts at -- that I haven't listed in my first post? The answer is nothing. That theme is a very popular premium theme too by the way, which isn't a bad thing if it's surrounded by good things.

I would never sign up at your forum and ask for help or willingly contribute, whether I knew you or not. The fact you simply ignore negative feedback doesn't surprise me any more; but all you have done is install a theme, change the logo, make some sections and start advertising. So I expect nothing less than the usual which will be no content being posted and the forum dying. Your ignorance is your biggest weakness Breshie.

Crayo you should know I'm not ignorant, I do listen to negative feedback. But it's the way people put it across. I mean, take anori for example. He presented himself accordingly and was nice with his reply. Whereas you, and most people on this forum seem to have a sort of "attack" feeling about their posts. That's what gets under my skin. I'm rather happy to listen to peoples feedback, whether good or bad, as long as they do not seem to be attacking me. Now, this may be a product of my own paranoia, but that's how I see it.

As for DubstepAddicts, I'm not re-launching it, I'm re-advertising it. My old thread got closed due to me bumping it too many times, so I decided to create a new thread.

Back to the issue of Admin Hub, I do agree about the points you made (apart from the custom theme) because I give similar advice to people starting a new forum, which is "what gives people a reason to join your forum rather than others". I did, however, rush into this project without doing too much to the forum. Over the next month or so, I'm going to be thinking of ways to make the forum more unique and add content to it. I've got quite a bit of money in PayPal right now, so I may pay people to post. The reason why I'm advertising right now, is to get the content. I'm attempting to get some members to help bring content to the forums, so I don't have to do it all myself.

(2012-07-28, 11:27 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]I don't agree that you NEED a unique theme and features (though they sure do help) but either way you need content. A fancy theme and a gimmick will only get you so far, content gets you the rest of the way.

You have no content, no gimmick and a nice though bland theme. I do not foresee success for your forum, but I wish you luck anyway.

Rather than attempting to shut down my hopes about this forum, why not give some examples on what to do with it? Maybe help me out a little? After all, that's what Admin Hub is for, sharing knowledge with one-another.
Quote:As for DubstepAddicts, I'm not re-launching it, I'm re-advertising it. My old thread got closed due to me bumping it too many times, so I decided to create a new thread.

That isn't how it works. One thread per site and if it gets closed -- too bad.

Quote:Now, this may be a product of my own paranoia, but that's how I see it.

You fostered a clearly negative atmosphere in this thread on your own as soon as you said this:

Quote:Don't be so stupid. Think about that one a little more logically.

Every comment in the thread is going to start with this as its basis.
(2012-07-29, 01:57 AM)BreShiE Wrote: [ -> ]Rather than attempting to shut down my hopes about this forum, why not give some examples on what to do with it? Maybe help me out a little? After all, that's what Admin Hub is for, sharing knowledge with one-another.

He told you that you needed content.
People get the mistaken idea that constructive criticism has to give you all the answers. You need content. It's not up to people here to tell you what kind of content that is -- and if you can't figure it out, perhaps you shouldn't be running a forum about being an admin, one of the key jobs of which is to develop content?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5