MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Admin Hub | The Home of Webmasters
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Well, This is quite the thread...

At first I thought I started this thread, Being posts like mine... Then I realised that I don't have an admin forum (Well, I do - But not with MyBB running).

OP, Please, Save yourself a lot of trouble. Learn from the experienced folks here, and do as they tell you, As they know. (And now, I'm just sucking up...)

Seriously, I'm going to hazard a guess and say that you will never make it in this Niche. There are a lot of other ones out there, Pick a hobby and go for it. I started one on Railways and it is slowly building up, Since I live in Australia, and we mainly focus on Australian rail, Which reminds me...

Think before you reply to people, It might save your dignity.
(2012-07-29, 01:57 AM)BreShiE Wrote: [ -> ]Crayo you should know I'm not ignorant, I do listen to negative feedback. But it's the way people put it across. I mean, take anori for example. He presented himself accordingly and was nice with his reply. Whereas you, and most people on this forum seem to have a sort of "attack" feeling about their posts. That's what gets under my skin. I'm rather happy to listen to peoples feedback, whether good or bad, as long as they do not seem to be attacking me. Now, this may be a product of my own paranoia, but that's how I see it.

As for DubstepAddicts, I'm not re-launching it, I'm re-advertising it. My old thread got closed due to me bumping it too many times, so I decided to create a new thread.

Back to the issue of Admin Hub, I do agree about the points you made (apart from the custom theme) because I give similar advice to people starting a new forum, which is "what gives people a reason to join your forum rather than others". I did, however, rush into this project without doing too much to the forum. Over the next month or so, I'm going to be thinking of ways to make the forum more unique and add content to it. I've got quite a bit of money in PayPal right now, so I may pay people to post. The reason why I'm advertising right now, is to get the content. I'm attempting to get some members to help bring content to the forums, so I don't have to do it all myself.

I don't see how I attacked you at all. I just gave honest criticism, I'm sorry I didn't surround it in smileys but I expect most the webmasters here to be of age to understand it's genuine help and not an "attack". I don't see why I would need to go around attacking people, so I agree that it's a product of your own paranoia.

If you rush into a project and/or not ready to launch it then it should not be launched imo. The beginning of starting up a forum is incredibly tough. You need to be willing to post articles daily, lots of content that you know might not receive any replies. You could set up another account and talk to yourself for a bit. We don't live in a world where you install a forum, advertise and all members freely post high quality content. That's not how it works.

What helps get new members? A nice original set up. As I said at the moment it really is just a theme installation with some sections, that doesn't separate you at all from the others (which you admitted). This is an admin forum, so it should seem easier for you to do these things than the members signing up. If you have money, instead of paying people to post -- why not invest it in a couple custom plugins?
(2012-07-29, 01:57 AM)BreShiE Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-07-28, 11:27 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]I don't agree that you NEED a unique theme and features (though they sure do help) but either way you need content. A fancy theme and a gimmick will only get you so far, content gets you the rest of the way.

You have no content, no gimmick and a nice though bland theme. I do not foresee success for your forum, but I wish you luck anyway.

Rather than attempting to shut down my hopes about this forum, why not give some examples on what to do with it? Maybe help me out a little? After all, that's what Admin Hub is for, sharing knowledge with one-another.

I am not attempting to shut down your hopes. I said I do not foresee success for the reasons given - the biggest of which is you have no content.

I maybe could help you out a little - but I expect something in return - namely, to be able to go and get some information and insight from the existing articles on the board.

At the time of writing that comment there WERE no articles. You have have to give the users a reason to come in and join the board other than coming and writing the content for you.

I am sorry if I came across as harsh, but it was the truth as I saw it.

Good luck with the forum.
(2012-07-29, 12:18 PM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]I don't see how I attacked you at all. I just gave honest criticism, I'm sorry I didn't surround it in smileys but I expect most the webmasters here to be of age to understand it's genuine help and not an "attack". I don't see why I would need to go around attacking people, so I agree that it's a product of your own paranoia.

If you rush into a project and/or not ready to launch it then it should not be launched imo. The beginning of starting up a forum is incredibly tough. You need to be willing to post articles daily, lots of content that you know might not receive any replies. You could set up another account and talk to yourself for a bit. We don't live in a world where you install a forum, advertise and all members freely post high quality content. That's not how it works.

What helps get new members? A nice original set up. As I said at the moment it really is just a theme installation with some sections, that doesn't separate you at all from the others (which you admitted). This is an admin forum, so it should seem easier for you to do these things than the members signing up. If you have money, instead of paying people to post why not invest it in a couple custom plugins?

I was thinking about custom plugins. One of my friends, will design me any plugin I want if I donate to his site, so that's handy to have. I've been thinking about what kind of plugins would best suite this type of niche, but I can't think. :/
Plugins aren't content -- they're technical features. Without content to populate them they are worthless.
You said "How do you expect me to get content without advertising? lol"
You have to make the content first!
Who is going to join an empty forum with 30 posts?
At least make some content yourself before making showcase threads.
Also i'm not flaming but any feedback about changing things on your site you don't care to listen to!
You think that any suggestions are bad! But just because you think the forum is good doesn't mean it is good, But as I like the name I am going to help you with content ok? Smile
(2012-07-29, 07:14 PM)MinecraftGeek Wrote: [ -> ]You said "How do you expect me to get content without advertising? lol"
You have to make the content first!
Who is going to join an empty forum with 30 posts?
At least make some content yourself before making showcase threads.
Also i'm not flaming but any feedback about changing things on your site you don't care to listen to!
You think that any suggestions are bad! But just because you think the forum is good doesn't mean it is good, But as I like the name I am going to help you with content ok? Smile

I appreciate your help. I'm just waiting to talk to one of my friends, to see if he'll partner up with me, if he does, then there will be a lot more content coming, in quite faster times too. But yeah, I'm trying to add content myself.
I like it, but I think the theme needs cleaned up a bit.
(2012-07-30, 12:34 AM)Ewan Wrote: [ -> ]I like it, but I think the theme needs cleaned up a bit.

How do you mean? What'd need changing?
(2012-07-29, 02:30 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Plugins aren't content -- they're technical features. Without content to populate them they are worthless.

But you could make a bot. That'd work well, I think.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5