MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: My board is fail.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
So when do you accept that a forum is a failure? What do you define as a failing forum? and - what is the best action to take if a forum fails?

I am helping out on a board. We have an ok looking site (the theme is nothing fancy, its a slightly edited Apart theme) and we don't have LOTS of forums. We have 330 members and have about 20 members per day visiting, with 50 users per week - but - same old story - no posts Big Grin

I have been trying to work out WHAT the issue is that people are not posting. I was looking at the board and the content and it seems we have a lot of "information" forums. We have 4 areas (distinct) where the forum is really more of a listings board, there is a raffles / trade area, but again that is not really a discussion area.

I have implemented a points for posts thing where they can spend the points in a board raffle, but I don't see a real increase in activity (the same guys who were posting before are still posting and now getting points).

What I can do to make the board more appealing for users to post? Or should I tell the board owner that his board concept (listings and raffles) is not really conducive to posting and to just live with no posts or to close his board if he wants a discussion board as it will never work?

link: http://www.classifiedbilliards.com/mybb/index.php
As you said the topic focus is probably the issue. If he is putting most of the focus on listings and raffles it just because a one stop shop for people to advertise if there wasn't a community to back it at the start.

I would say try and focus more on pool. Such as posting videos of different shots and reviews of cues. Also maybe hold some sort of competition. And, since it's not the most commonly seen topic for a forum start advertising at pool halls and stuff.

Edit: But, a forum is only dead when you stop trying to improve it because there is always a chance to breath new life into (if you're dedicated enough).
Those section choices are so isolated to a particular discussion topic. Make things more open. The site doesn't feel like a community at all, it feels like a site where users would sign up, get what they want, and leave. You're going to get that on whatever board you make when you target one particular niche. For example, we still get users who sign up, make a thread asking where to watch the latest episode of RAW, get given a link and then they leave. But your job is to make an atmosphere where users want to sign up to discuss, no other motives involved.

How do you achieve that? I reiterate, the section choices need to be better. As I look now, I see no obvious section for me to sign up and talk about pool. The users you want to see your site are pool fans, right? The ones that sign up, talk about pool and help create and continue discussion. The forum seems more suited to those who want to make a quick buck or seek a certain piece of information, those boards are never active. Unfortunately I don't know enough about pool to post what sections I would have there, but I know the majority would be discussion sections.
I'm not good at putting words together, but I guess your forum lacks that space where we can really post. There are a lot of forums, but none where I think I would post. May be because I'm not much into that topic.
You need to find some men who are interested in the nice (Don't know, maybe advertise your forum a little more?)
Just a bit of tip that I thought could be helpful, anyways all the best with it mate Smile
We are already advertising at pool halls, so we are doing pretty well on that, I was trying to keep the sections at a manageable level. I think I will move some of the more obviously INFO only sections down into subforums and bring the more discussion ones to the index.

A BIG problem is that our users are not really keen computer users - they are pool players, so they get easily confused. Sad

I think he needs to have a video gallery, and I can set him one up, see how that goes. We DEFINITELY need to focus more on the help for the newer player, but I think the OWNER should be generating the content (or paying ME to do it. THAT would be a start Big Grin ) Obviously it is up to him to actually invest time in the board and content or it will never get better. I just need to give him the right framework I think.
(2012-08-12, 03:37 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]So when do you accept that a forum is a failure?

When the owners themselves give up on it.

(2012-08-12, 03:37 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]What do you define as a failing forum?

A forum where members aren't doing anything and the owners are getting bored themselves.

(2012-08-12, 03:37 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]and - what is the best action to take if a forum fails?

You heard of reformatting a hard drive? Well, that's a little extreme. But try re-arranging your sections and looking at them from a different perspective. I agree with Anxiety that the section choices are very narrow. This is because... you have too few sections. Or atleast it looks like that. Where's the forum descriptions? You're basically giving a second forum title instead of an actual description of what goes in this section or that section.
I love the theme though. Don't change it much I would say. But perhaps the icons for the Latest Threads box could be smaller maybe? It detracts attention from the actual forum sections.
Ok, small reorg on the front page sections:

Still 3 categories, I have put the more "user activity" type ones at the top and the info ones at the bottom

Pool Hall:
The Lounge - Don't know where to start? Post in here
Game Improvement Tips - Tips and lessons to improve your game plus a sprinkling of random interesting information.
APA League - All APA chat in here
Pool Videos - Post your pool videos here - matches, trick shots, help and how-tos
Find or Add a Pool room near you - Tell us where you play.

Wanted/Trade/For Sale/R@ffles
Wanted/Trade/For Sale - Buy, Sell, or Trade on Classified Billiards
R@ffles - Participate or host your own

Cuemakers, Craftsmen, and Mechanics
(list of info forums Sad )
I think it's a stretch to expect "Pool Videos" to be an active section. Perhaps change the subject of that section to discussing any pool video, instead of being required to post your own. Those descriptions can definitely improve too.
Descriptions? I am not very good at that. I shall try. Maybe bung the videos in with the game tips?
The Lounge - This section is dedicated to discussions unrelated to pool. You can literally talk about anything here. Enjoy!
Game Improvement Tips - Come here to receive tips and lessons to help improve your game plus a sprinkling of random interesting information.
APA League - (I don't know anything about this league, but yours needed improving)
Pool Videos - Have you found an awesome pool video online? Do you want to discuss it? Then post it in here!
Find or Add a Pool room near you - Tell us where you practise, play, and win!

Wanted/Trade/For Sale - Do you have an item in mind which you want to either buy, sell, or trade? Then this section is for you.
R@ffles - You can participate in raffles here with a chance to win some cool prizes. Alternatively you can host your own raffles.

Those were written fast and need touch ups, but that's how I prefer sections to be described. Actually letting the user know what topics are meant to be in there and giving them a more detailed idea on how to contribute.
Pages: 1 2 3 4