MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: OMG He Ripped my Work!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
(2012-08-24, 03:51 PM)Yaldaram Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know if its me or what, but I just has a feeling that theme ripping has been drastically increased from 15 months or so. With the increase number of theme production sites, the ratio of theme ripping has been increased aswell.
I agree. For example, someone just learning coding and PS stuff, they are new to it and they take inspirations from others work, or may copy the exact content according to their likes. While taking inspiration is ok, but copying exact content is not what we expect really. However if the sources are different and it still looks like an exact copy of someone work, that may be a RIP, or that can also be a co-incidence (Same Brain Frequency and designing sense for two differnt designers). I don't know what should be done in that case.
You may also have noticed that MyBB has a large number of theme rippers as compared to xenForo although xenForo has way too easy theme creating system as compared to MyBB. I guess, probably its due to that fact that MyBB is Free?
All Xenforo themes look the same anyway so ripping is irrelevant there.
(2012-08-24, 04:52 PM)Yaldaram Wrote: [ -> ]You may also have noticed that MyBB has a large number of theme rippers as compared to xenForo although xenForo has way too easy theme creating system as compared to MyBB. I guess, probably its due to that fact that MyBB is Free?

Have you tried XF's theme system? It's nowhere near as intuitive as MyBB's.

Anyway, I do believe that MyBB being free attracts people who are more willing to rip themes and such as they don't have to pay anything at all.
(2012-08-24, 05:15 PM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]Have you tried XF's theme system? It's nowhere near as intuitive as MyBB's.

I actually heard from Jordan (trilobyte). He wrote something like this somewhere on this community that xenForo theme-ing is much more easy as compared to MyBB. Not sure if I'm able to find his post since it was posted almost an year ago (if I remember it correctly).
Ah. I tried it once and gave up fairly quickly. Making something truly unique takes a fair bit more effort in XF.
(2012-08-24, 05:29 PM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]Making something truly unique takes a fair bit more effort in XF.

That's true.
Probably he meant how the theme system works, you can use conditionals (probably PHP) there, whereas in MyBB you need a lot of work to do some very little stuff.
I remember, when I first came here back in 2007, there was a forum software named something like "Lite Bulletin" (probably if I recall it correctly) and it was created using the MyBB as base. In that software I remember you can use PHP in templates. Also I think it was created by Ryan Ashbrook, probably.

Does anybody (who was present on that era or know about this) can confirm about this? Does anybody provide a link to their website etc.?
Yeah, it was something like: community.litesoft.info
It doesn't exist now though.

Off Topic: @Yaldaram : Congrats on reaching 12K posts on MyBB. Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6