MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Samsung Copying AGAIN ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
(2012-08-28, 10:50 PM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]right, because docks haven't existed with this exact functionality for years

do you ever think about what you post or just aimlessly defend apple?

I didn't post it. I linked you all to a blog post made by someone else. Where the hell can you see a "defencive" quote in my post ? I used a question mark, so I'm looking for opinions, I'm not defending anyone. Rolleyes
(2012-08-29, 02:56 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]This dock copy has nothing to do with the fact that it's a dock and everything to do with the fact that it's designed to look nearly identical to Apple's implementation.

my argument was that docks with this identical style have existed for ages, literally

everyone's just upset that it's samsung this time

not that i support samsung in their rampant copying, but the world is just picking on samsung right now

(2012-08-29, 06:04 AM)Frank.Barry Wrote: [ -> ]I didn't post it. I linked you all to a blog post made by someone else. Where the hell can you see a "defencive" quote in my post ? I used a question mark, so I'm looking for opinions, I'm not defending anyone. Rolleyes

the implications of this thread say otherwise (including pretty much every post you've made here ever)
(2012-08-29, 11:55 PM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]my argument was that docks with this identical style have existed for ages, literally

Source?
(2012-08-30, 01:01 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-08-29, 11:55 PM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]my argument was that docks with this identical style have existed for ages, literally

Source?

http://www.windows7hacker.com/index.php/...-all-free/

Just googled it took a about 1 second to find something. Yes its an old article, yes the stuff below the top 4 doesnt look anything like it.
But the number 2 really is almost an exact copy.

http://xwdock.aqua-soft.org/

It is still in violation of a patent from apple, thats true. The only thing in favor of samsung it has a start menu button. And they maybe could list it underneath the normal functions of the taskbar just a reskinned taskbar.
#2 and #3 there are also copies of Apple's glass dock design. Find something designed like this predating Apple's version, is what I'm saying.
(2012-08-30, 01:22 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]#2 and #3 there are also copies of Apple's glass dock design. Find something designed like this predating Apple's version, is what I'm saying.

Honestly i agree with this article:
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=25544

Its really how you define what a dock is. And if you take it by its most core functionality Acorn Computers invented it.

[Image: Risc_OS_311_Wide.png]

I think honestly of that whole article the most important line is this:
Quote:And besides this and the prior art issue, Microsoft Corp. (MSFT) has a broad cross-licensing pact with Apple and tends to zealously defend its Windows OEMs. So it would likely not take kindly to Apple suing a Windows 8 device maker for a semi-similar design in a field with plentiful prior art.
As stated previously, I'm talking about the design, not the functionality. There's a lot of ways to design a dock -- as this article shows -- so why would Samsung ape Apple's designs?

I'm not interested in the legal aspects of this.
(2012-08-30, 01:44 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]As stated previously, I'm talking about the design, not the functionality. There's a lot of ways to design a dock -- as this article shows -- so why would Samsung ape Apple's designs?

I'm not interested in the legal aspects of this.

patents involved:
http://www.google.com/patents/US7434177
http://www.google.com/patents?id=wuMbAAA...56&f=false

The problem is Apple doesnt own the pattent for the design. Only for the flashy animations. So anybody can copy the dock idea but not the tile animations etc.

Read the final part of the article. Simply put apple currently doesnt own the pattent in its current form to even be able to sue samsung.

Quote:Also the patent itself contains a central claim:

Quote:1. A computer system comprising: a display; a cursor for pointing to a position within said display; a bar rendered on said display and having a plurality of tiles associated therewith; and a processor for varying a size of at least one of said plurality of tiles on said display when said cursor is proximate said bar on said display and for repositioning others of said plurality of tiles along said bar to accommodate the varied size of said one tile.

...which is slowly expanded upon in later claims. The core of the claim is resizing tiles and repositioning the tiles, via moving the others. The Samsung S Launcher does not appear to have either functionality.

Apple did not patent a bar with icons. It patented specific animations of its task bar (Dock) icons. Samsung does not appear to be overstepping this by simply having a more Dock/Launcher with static icons and a transparent back because that is not the invention claimed in the in Apple patent.

so why would Samsung ape Apple's designs?

Because there is nothing preventing them from doing so and if something works why change it?
Besides.. what exactly hasnt be patented.. lets for a moment say microsoft would patent everything shown in the our look of the future video.. nobody would be able to create something new then.
Man, are you even reading my posts? I'm not talking about patents or functionality, I'm talking about VISUAL DESIGN. People here are quick to yell at people ripping off themes but apparently this is A-OK.
(2012-08-30, 03:12 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Man, are you even reading my posts? I'm not talking about patents or functionality, I'm talking about VISUAL DESIGN. People here are quick to yell at people ripping off themes but apparently this is A-OK.

But compare the two visually. What exactly is the same.

And without a patent or the rights to it apple has no feet to stand on. Since apple doesnt have to rights to how it looks but only a few icons/animations.

Another problem is you let icons be placed onto this bar, which are simply icons of programs. Other peoples programs. Something you cant claim as yours. So even if they both use the exact same image for word/chrome etc. apple couldnt do a thing.

If you remove the icons and the animations etc look what is left. A reshaped microsoft taskbar. Which has a differnt shape then the apple bar (yes even so slightly its different) Its not stuck to the bottom but has more spacing. Has an extra button that apple doesnt have. And is 1 transparent color. Nothing fancy there are simply to many differences.

Even if you think there are not, there are visual differences. And with the whole prio-art/microsoft/patent/design problems for apple. Their isnt anything they can do then.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9