MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Can MyBB compete with commercial forum software?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
One thing i was wondering, why are there no MyBB official plugins. What i mean with those are not to big but simple, useful plugins that are not essential for the forum software.

For example a Spam prevention plugin, a bridge system. Those types of things, i know i read somewhere that a plugin was being created called "SpamNinja" but i cant seem to find it anywhere anymore. If this is still the case, things like that could be easily seen as a MyBB official plugin, where the author doesnt matter of the plugin, only that its one of the MyBB developers. And that MyBB is responsible of ensuring that before every update of the forum. The plugins that are officially supported get updated/changed (if necessary) to make sure they keep working.

Only gripe i might have compared to commercial forum softwares. The lack of officially supported plugins.
(2012-09-10, 10:49 AM)anori Wrote: [ -> ]One thing i was wondering, why are there no MyBB official plugins. What i mean with those are not to big but simple, useful plugins that are not essential for the forum software.

For example a Spam prevention plugin, a bridge system. Those types of things, i know i read somewhere that a plugin was being created called "SpamNinja" but i cant seem to find it anywhere anymore. If this is still the case, things like that could be easily seen as a MyBB official plugin, where the author doesnt matter of the plugin, only that its one of the MyBB developers. And that MyBB is responsible of ensuring that before every update of the forum. The plugins that are officially supported get updated/changed (if necessary) to make sure they keep working.

Only gripe i might have compared to commercial forum softwares. The lack of officially supported plugins.
A lot of MyBB developers have made plugins, they could claim those.
(2012-09-10, 10:51 AM)Trickshot Wrote: [ -> ]A lot of MyBB developers have made plugins, they could claim those.

True true, but they are as far as i know not officially supported. And when one of those developers would leave the project / stop maintaining the plugin, it simply could die out and never get updated.

Thats the main thing about officially supported plugins:

"They are maintained by the developers to ensure they always keep working for the latest update"
(2012-09-10, 10:49 AM)anori Wrote: [ -> ]One thing i was wondering, why are there no MyBB official plugins. What i mean with those are not to big but simple, useful plugins that are not essential for the forum software.

We have little time to develop the forum software, we can't just waste more developing official plugins. I've spent a lot of time developing the Mods Site - which is not running live yet - and during that time I could barely work on MyBB itself. Having one person do the work for one major thing will limit the rest of the software development for months.

People don't realize that unfortunately. Oh and yes, I think we can compete with them. Sometimes we lack the motivation yes, sure. But, when we have (non-monetary) motivation we can code way faster and better than when we're being motivated by money (at least that's how I am).

On another topic (those community suits vs MyBB), you can't compare a forum software A + X,Y,Z vs forum software B - it just doesn't make any sense at all. If you were to compare two different community suits, then it would be fine but MyBB is not a community suit so comparing it with one, doesn't make sense. But I think that point has been made clear already and those who want to understand it will understand it.
Regarding Spam Ninja, it's been absorbed into the core in MyBB 1.8. We do kind of have one official plugin too - in the form of the Akismet plugin distributed with MyBB Wink
That's another thing. Why have staff create official plugins? Surely, those should just be core features. The whole idea of plugins is to allow people who aren't able to add things directly to the core mybb download by distributing their small plugin files.
(2012-09-10, 11:22 AM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]That's another thing. Why have staff create official plugins? Surely, those should just be core features. The whole idea of plugins is to allow people who aren't able to add things directly to the core mybb download by distributing their small plugin files.

Official plugins are not mandatory assets to a forum. Yes you can then argue why make them official. But to prevent what vBulletin did just pack more and more onto the software it sometimes is a good idea to just turn certain assets into plugins.

And i get what you are saying Pirata Nervo. But my idea for "officially" supported plugins was more in the way of:

Just support certain plugins, that what ever would happen with the original author the plugin will keep being updated (to work with new release). Im not talking about fully coding a new plugin , just labeling certain plugins to get supported.

If that makes sense, i know currently the MyBB team doesn't have time to create plugins them self so and that's understandable. Comparison would be: Just like if you buy a car you get a warranty.. and in this case you use a plugin and you are ensured this one will keep getting updated regardless what happens with the original author. (Also i don't mean many just some that you would deem important/useful).

Quote:Regarding Spam Ninja, it's been absorbed into the core in MyBB 1.8. We do kind of have one official plugin too - in the form of the Akismet plugin distributed with MyBB

So does that mean there isn't going to be a plugin compatible with the 1.6 series?
Afraid not, as far as I understand the plugin idea was scrapped and we're simply including it as a core 1.8 feature. I'm pretty sure it was mentioned in one of the blog posts regarding 1.8.
(2012-09-10, 11:57 AM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]Afraid not, as far as I understand the plugin idea was scrapped and we're simply including it as a core 1.8 feature. I'm pretty sure it was mentioned in one of the blog posts regarding 1.8.

Could be i have missed that then, ah well thats a shame but okay. Thank you for the information.
(2012-09-10, 07:49 AM)Eric J. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-09-10, 07:41 AM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]Why people compare the MyBB stand alone forum software with those community suits? I mean, MyBB is a forum software, people should compare it with the IPB forum script, not the IPB downloads/blog module or the vB overloaded community software.

Because lack of those things makes MyBB look less developed to the average user. XP

If I were comparing car engines, I wouldn't just compare the parts that both engines had, I'd compare everything in each engine (More parts in one engine obviously makes it look better than the other, so long as they're made right).

^ This , totally agreed with Eric.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9