MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Can MyBB compete with commercial forum software?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
For different things, yes and no imo.

Yea, MyBB Is great, but it lacks a large "Giant Forum" community. Therefore it requires a lot of work when you get a large database. I think once MyBB gets a large "Big Board" Community it's support for them will be better, out of the box.
I've been developing forums since January 29, 2004. I have used many forum softwares free and commercial to build communities on. A list of forum software is IPB 1.3, IPB 2.0, VB 3.8, and VB 4.0, AEF, MYBB, PHPBB, Xenforo, SMF and prob a few more. I've always like IPB and MYBB the best because they are the easiest to manage, Yes IPB has a few things I wish MyBB had but I think over all MYBB and IPB are the best forum softwares among all of them.

VB is large and bloated and can take some time to get use to it and how to make it work, its hard to edit templates and can sometime hog server resources.
Xenforo is nice, don't get me wrong, but the lack of some stuff in it can really hender the way the forum runs. I use plugins to enhance my forum and also again editing templates can be a pain.
IPB is better but can fall short also, I love IPB it was the first forum software I used and it keeps me wanting it, but with the new licensing I hate to use it cause every 6 months your having to repay for it if you want updates and support.
MYBB, missing a few things I like but its free, secure and its a fast forum software that I can manage to make it do what I want to do, with a large plugin database.
AEF , was ok not many mods at the time I used it and it seemed like a dead project.
PHPBB is good also, but the mods can be a pain in my but to install and I like the ease of upload and activate, plus they have been hacked a few times and Ya its fast and secure but they are missing things I think you need to make it an active community without mods and plugins.
SMF, I didnt use it much, to much of a pain and I hated the look of the forum once I got it setup and opened for public, a few days later I converted to MYBB, Plugins are decent for it but editing templates and changing they look of it is almost like using vb again, It was a difficult task for me.

I hope this opens your eyes alittle and lets you see what a great software MYBB has been and only to get better.

What was the thing MYBB is missing?
Its missing a tool for moderators its called topic multi-moderation. Its where you can make your own tool for spam or moving messages around to another forum.

Basicly in the ACP you select the forum you want to use it in,Select what is does, move, delete, close ect ect, and it will let you put your own post and do both, Post and move the topic or post and close the topic.
(2012-09-10, 02:07 PM)Detrition Wrote: [ -> ]...
What was the thing MYBB is missing?
Its missing a tool for moderators its called topic multi-moderation. Its where you can make your own tool for spam or moving messages around to another forum.

Basicly in the ACP you select the forum you want to use it in,Select what is does, move, delete, close ect ect, and it will let you put your own post and do both, Post and move the topic or post and close the topic.

Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly, but isn't this what you're describing?

ACP > Configuration > Moderator Tools?
Oh Nathan, Yes it is! I've actually never clicked on that. Wow Thanks!

well, MyBB has everything to run a Big Board on.
(2012-09-10, 02:17 PM)Detrition Wrote: [ -> ]Oh Nathan, Yes it is! I've actually never clicked on that. Wow Thanks!

well, MyBB has everything to run a Big Board on.

Though not entirely true, I kinda liked your last phrase Toungue
what is MyBB Missing to support a rather large forum?
(2012-09-10, 02:22 PM)Detrition Wrote: [ -> ]what is MyBB Missing to support a rather large forum?

Some performance improvements we're including in 1.8 Toungue And some handy new features as well.
Well, I think MyBB runs well if your know how to use it. Which has been seen on different forums that are rather large, It might not be easy but it can be done. I like new features but its not really a need. MyBB is a great forum software that is competitive with other forum software already which was the topic of this discussion.
(2012-09-10, 04:57 AM)Trickshot Wrote: [ -> ]I've seen many people say so and I agree to some extent. I'm curious to know what some staff and BBOs think.

By the looks, MyBB 1.8 can compete with XenForo!

MyBB 1.6 can compete with Xenforo if my memory serves me people have already requested it to be added to the merge system.
MYBB is open source and it is the best Smile
You have the opportunity of doing almost everything and software is best.
I just want mybb to integrate openid as well
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9