MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Can MyBB compete with commercial forum software?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
(2012-09-10, 03:54 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-09-10, 04:57 AM)Trickshot Wrote: [ -> ]I've seen many people say so and I agree to some extent. I'm curious to know what some staff and BBOs think.

By the looks, MyBB 1.8 can compete with XenForo!

MyBB 1.6 can compete with Xenforo if my memory serves me people have already requested it to be added to the merge system.

Yeah plenty of people have. I myself want it added to the merge system too. Xenforo is so overrated.
(2012-09-10, 04:09 PM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-09-10, 03:54 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-09-10, 04:57 AM)Trickshot Wrote: [ -> ]I've seen many people say so and I agree to some extent. I'm curious to know what some staff and BBOs think.

By the looks, MyBB 1.8 can compete with XenForo!

MyBB 1.6 can compete with Xenforo if my memory serves me people have already requested it to be added to the merge system.

Yeah plenty of people have. I myself want it added to the merge system too. Xenforo is so overrated.

Agreed. The only reason I've ever considered using Xenforo is because of the themes that Audentio makes for it. I'll respond further when I'm back at my apartment.
I still don't see where the reasoning comes from as far as not being able to compare them. But anyways...

Xenforo comes with a bit of a learning curve, so I feel that's why people get intimidated and want to leave it, however I believe it's a pretty powerful piece of software. Sure people have merged from XF, but I've seen threads going from MyBB to XF (And have done so myself). Really you can't say which is better just by opinion + seeing threads about it. xP

MyBB 1.8 may close the gap that I'm personally seeing between it and just about every other big forum software (Except SMF), but we won't know until we get it. :/
And do you think what would close that gap?
(2012-09-10, 05:54 PM)Pirata Nervo Wrote: [ -> ]And do you think what would close that gap?

An updated interface (phpBB has had an updated interface for quite a while now, same goes for IPB and vB), new features for big boards (Like you mentioned), jQuery, and other things. Basically MyBB has looked almost the same since I came here when I was 15, it goes without saying it's dated.
Isn't 1.8 going to be JQuery out of the box?
(2012-09-10, 06:00 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]Isn't 1.8 going to be JQuery out of the box?

Correct. Prototype will be completely gone. Smile
Yes it will be powered by jQuery.
(2012-09-10, 04:09 PM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah plenty of people have. I myself want it added to the merge system too. Xenforo is so overrated.

Dylan had already been working on one before he left on holiday.
Yeah, everything I listed will be in 1.8, was just saying once we get it my opinion of MyBB will probably change. Toungue
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9