MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Can MyBB compete with commercial forum software?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
(2012-09-11, 03:54 AM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]IPB I'd say is stable in its community and back-end. It seems to avoid the nonsense, but it's pretty overrated. But out of the commercial software list, and without taking speed into recognition, I'd put IPB at the top personally. Though I would still use MyBB over any of them.

Basically my feelings. A lot of IPBs greatness comes from the great community of third party developers and designers backing it.
(2012-09-10, 05:02 AM)Paul H. Wrote: [ -> ]Sure we can. Do you want bloated software, or just what you need and the ability to easily add more features? Do you want blazing fast or turtle slow? How about a great security history?

Sometimes I see people use IPB of XF just because "MyBB has no good themes". They just haven't looked around enough.

Exactly why i went with MyBB. The ease of customization regarding themes and backend.

I am not a pro-programmer, just a hobbyist. The MyBB code is clean and relatively easy to follow and understand for a noob like me. If i want extra functions, i 'll buy or download a mod/plugin. Or make core changes.

I hope MyBB will never get as bloated as other free forum software like phpbb or commercial software like vB or IPB.
I've only tried vB (because that's what iPodWizard ran before we converted it) so that's the only one I feel comfortable comparing to (and even then it was the 3.8.x series). Obviously I prefer MyBB because it's free, but not just for cost reasons. I am fairly confident that at some point in the past one of the previous owners stopped paying for a vB license. Because of this, we were unable to get security updates (we're currently only just making enough to cover hosting and our time put in to the site, so a new license would not be feasible). With MyBB, we can update whenever one gets released, and if we do sell the site the new owner doesn't have to worry about licensing issues or being denied security updates.

Another reason I like MyBB is how trimmed down it is. The majority of the features in vB don't get used on our site. Maybe back when it was popular they did, but none of those people are around anymore. At this point in time all of those features would merely be security risks. With MyBB, you only get the features you need or want (except for the calendar page). You don't have to worry about disabling and removing (or hoping you can remove) all of the useless side features.

The last reason I prefer MyBB over vB is how easy it is to add a feature you want, even if there are no existing plugins. We needed a plugin that will 301 redirect all of the old vB thread URLs to the new MyBB ones. 30 minutes of custom coding later, I had it working and now Google and users will be directed to the proper thread instead of getting a "this page doesn't exist." Plugin to sanitize and prevent duplicate GMail addresses? Put together in less than an hour despite having never touched the registration code before. I couldn't even begin writing vB plugins because I didn't have a license.
(2012-09-11, 07:25 AM)Disturbed Wrote: [ -> ]I hope MyBB will never get as bloated as other free forum software like phpbb or commercial software like vB or IPB.

Inevitably we add features that are either not used by administrators or are not used by users. I think MyBB has that fine balance with features about right - give or take a few examples - and in 1.8 we're pretty much tying up loose ends as to what people expect from a piece of forum software.

And, personally, I don't think you can compare any forum software - free or commercial. They each have their own persona, so to speak, so it either works for the project or it doesn't. My aim is to make sure that MyBB is the easiest to use, easy to customise and easy to do whatever you want with it so that people can create the project they want - not the project they have to put up with because the software is either too difficult or too troublesome to use.
MyBB?
- Easy to custom whatever you want (at least until 1.8)
- But in 2.0? I dont know Smile

Well, I believe MyBB will compete and win in every aspect as a FREE software
IPB Suite is a vast paid commercial software. Comparing MyBB to IPB Suite is like comparing a Porsche to taking the city bus.

Porsche is expensive. Just upkeep like insurance and repair will cost you a ton of money. You have to worry about your car being stolen, traffic, and having an accident.

With a city bus it's damn cheap but it's reliable. It gets you to and from work with low overhead. It does what it needs to do.

MyBB imho has no responsibility to the base to create a FREE suite for a select few members. There are packages like Drupal and Joomla if you want something like that. Joomla is very intense and has a ton of packages.

MyBB is a pure forum. And while some consider that a problem others consider it a blessing. But it is what it is. I don't think you'll get dev team to take on adding a huge code bases for extra features like that.

And while I know XF had a lot of buzz early on I think it's not set in stone that it's a great long-term choice. It's just basic forum software using AJAX for just about everything.
simple answer mybb is the best free software in my opinion but not the best overall hence why i moved to vbulletin 4 witch honestly blows mybb away but its a big price tag for some
Quote: best overall hence why i moved to vbulletin 4 witch honestly blows mybb away but its a big price tag for some

The only thing that VB4 blows away is resources. It's monster sized software. Practically unusable in a shared hosting environment.
(2012-09-13, 08:40 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote: best overall hence why i moved to vbulletin 4 witch honestly blows mybb away but its a big price tag for some

The only thing that VB4 blows away is resources. It's monster sized software. Practically unusable in a shared hosting environment.

As I said in the vB5 demo thread, I'd sooner move to WBB over vBulletin. WBB is just a lot faster plus it operates on a framework so extending it is drop-dead easy.
To be honest I'd totally consider WBB if I left MyBB.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9