MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Daily digest plugin - willing to pay $!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
No problem with 'spam' - I get a great deal of that anyway Smile.

Yes pretty a important feature would be to only include selected forums . Ideally this would extend to giving users control over which forums are included out of the ones they are entitled to see , and ideally user control over digest intervals, (which might be hard achieve, given administrator sets overall task frequency - perhaps users get to specify intervals that are >= than frequency task is run at, whatever that happens to be?)

Interesting that editing script breaks it - as far as I know I did not change anything except the url of my forum - per the original author's instructions. If you reinstate the things you tweaked, does normal functionality resume?, or does the act of tweaking break some kind of database link perhaps?
Yes, that sort of fine grained control is of course what you what want in the future, but lets just get it to a point where it is useable. Some things just are not possible in the scope of MyBB (at least for a noob coder like me)

This plugin WILL check on additional usergroup, so if you wanted to have users in a usergroup for the digest we can do that. However, allowing each user to set which forums they get an update on is really TOO fine grained - that means a query PER USER on task run. I can see that bringing your board to it's knees in pretty short order.

Goal for today: Get the current package looking at the allowed forums (ACP setting) and bundle that up for you to test.
Fantastic goal, IMHO!
Down the track a bit, do you think it likely users would be at least able to opt in or out?

Perhaps a flag in database associated with user email address, so unflagged ones are skipped at time of mass emailing?
(2012-11-08, 11:47 AM)ArchPrime Wrote: [ -> ]Fantastic goal, IMHO!
Down the track a bit, do you think it likely users would be at least able to opt in or out?

Perhaps a flag in database associated with user email address, so unflagged ones are skipped at time of mass emailing?

Yes, that would be the plan, I am using usergroups right now, but what I WANT is to have a setting in the user control panel so the user can optin or out.

One small step at a time. In theory - as it looks at additional usergroups - then you could have a mailing usergroup - with users having the option to join that group.

I am testing this "new" version now.
That makes a kind of sense. Perhaps users wanting more or less frequent updates could (eventually) join a corresponding user group (perhaps there might be hourly, daily & weekly options)- each group getting its own task? Easy to get carried away when not actually trying figure out how to code anything myself! The reason I would include an hourly option is based on feedback from users, who miss the sense of ongoing activity throughout the day that we used to have before migrating from yahoo groups. Other users were put off by the constant distractions appearing in their inbox - so would be good candidates for a 'weekly' option
Ok here we go Big Grin

You have three settings at the moment;

User groups who can use it, excluded forums and max characters.
Well, installed just fine - tried adding a new thread in a couple of forums as a test then manually activating digest task - but no summary received by email so far.

In plugin parameters I left user group 4 as recipients, and deleted the default exclusion of forum 4 (though probably academic as I only have 3)

Again, task log shows successful completion, again no errors in system mail log , despite my test user with admin privileges and bogus email address (log has always been empty in fact, ever since setting up the forum - suggesting perhaps this isn't working?)

Was I supposed to enter the forum url anywhere as per original version?

Meanwhile, I am getting notifications of the new threads pretty much instantly via standard user subscription to threads
Nope - but I discovered in my testing that you have to have a user active on the forum at the time of the task. I tried a manual run and that did not work, but when I set the time to (say) 14.35 in the task settings and made sure I was clicking about on the forum at that time - it ran.

Apparently, this IS how tasks work in MyBB. I have a whole thread on this, I will find the link.

LINK: http://community.mybb.com/thread-128877.html

EDIT: it can even be a bot.
Darn - I tried the same approach - but no joy. Log says scheduled task occurred on time, while I was clicking around in forum - but again nothing sent.

This seems crazy - what could be different at my end?
User subscribed threads run differently - they fire an email off at the time of the posting, but that is not what we are trying to do here, instead it is gathering all the posts in a time frame and sending a summary.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5