MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Care of GoMobile
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
If it isn't evident from my lack of updates/activity or anything over the past several months, I'm not interested in maintaining MyBB GoMobile as a project anymore.

Consequently, I'd like to "hand off" the care and maintenance of the project to someone who can spend some more time with it - promoting, developing, etc.

Since it's more of a community/feedback driven project than anything, I have no terms or conditions for the operation by whoever wishes to take over. Essentially, you'll be put in charge of managing development, support, feedback. How you choose to carry this out is entirely up to you.

Some details of the project:

- The project is licensed under the GNU GPL v3 license (deal with it)
- In case you didn't know, GoMobile is a combination of a MyBB theme and plugin. The theme does not do anything different than any other theme, except for using some variables passed by the plugin.
- The plugin is pretty well documented via comments. Almost every block of PHP has a comment indicating what it's for. You can browse through the plugin to see what I mean.
- The theme has been kept as "generic" as possible. By generic, I mean that the HTML/CSS is not biased to any specific device or browser (ie. iOS)

To check through the theme & plugin, check out the GitHub repository:

https://github.com/Scoutie44/MyBB-GoMobile

Moving on, I'm willing to transfer the current domain (mybbgm.com) to the new manager. You will also receive all of the forum files and ownership of the GitHub repository. I will clean up and remove some random bits of mine, but essentially what you see is what you get. Do note, however, that you will be responsible for hosting the site.

Of course, you may also choose to merge the project into your own site. Again, the choice is yours.

I will stress that once everything is transferred over to the new manager, I will not be playing an active role in any of the management. If you have questions that only I can answer, I am of course open for dialogue, but I'm not going to remain tethered to this project.

It should also be noted that GoMobile is virtually bug free in it's current state. There has been months of feedback incorporated into the latest version of the plugin, so you're not inheriting any bugs that I couldn't solve.

Lastly, there is no price tag on this. As the sole manager to this point (with of course feedback and contributions regarding the theme and plugin from many others), I am simply passing the torch on.

If you're interested, please PM me. I will be evaluating any potential candidates for this position, so it's not a first-come first-served situation at all.

Please post any questions or concerns in this thread if they are suitable for public eyes. If not, PM me.

ALSO, PLEASE ENSURE THAT I WILL BE ABLE TO RESPOND TO YOUR PMS (I'm looking at you, "Only receive private messages from users on my Buddy List." checkbox)

Thank you for your time and interest,
Chris Rudnicki
Hey man, I'm definitely interested in this. As far as developing it goes, are there any known shortcomings of it that need work specifically? I'd say a new version "mybb goresponsive" would be fitting, but I'd still like to work with this one and see what's up.

If no one else comes through wanting to take over, I'd be happy to.
(2012-11-25, 02:26 AM)Eric J. Wrote: [ -> ]Hey man, I'm definitely interested in this. As far as developing it goes, are there any known shortcomings of it that need work specifically? I'd say a new version "mybb goresponsive" would be fitting, but I'd still like to work with this one and see what's up.

The only shortcoming, perhaps, is the actual design of the theme, in the sense that it's a bit dated. In my attempt to maximize compatibility across all devices I stuck with the same basic design, choosing to improve rather than revamp. It's a fairly good base to work with though.

Quote:If no one else comes through wanting to take over, I'd be happy to.

I'll keep you in mind, for sure.
I'm not a HTML/CSS designer, and I don't have the mobile devices necessary for any real testing. And I'm most certainly not interested in running a site. So, I won't be taking on your project, sorry.

But I'm using it in my forum... so, thanks again for making this in the first place. As long as it works fine, nothing needs to be done anyway. If it breaks with MyBB 1.8, and nobody else picked it up by that time, I may do the minimal changes required to make it work again.
Do you know how many changes will be needed to made compatibility wise for say 1.8 or 2.0?
(2012-11-25, 11:41 AM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not a HTML/CSS designer, and I don't have the mobile devices necessary for any real testing. And I'm most certainly not interested in running a site. So, I won't be taking on your project, sorry.

But I'm using it in my forum... so, thanks again for making this in the first place. As long as it works fine, nothing needs to be done anyway. If it breaks with MyBB 1.8, and nobody else picked it up by that time, I may do the minimal changes required to make it work again.

I understand. It's good to know that you'd be around down the road Smile

(2012-11-25, 04:30 PM)Tindris Wrote: [ -> ]Do you know how many changes will be needed to made compatibility wise for say 1.8 or 2.0?

Since I don't know what either version will really entail, unfortunately no.
(2012-11-25, 04:30 PM)Tindris Wrote: [ -> ]Do you know how many changes will be needed to made compatibility wise for say 1.8 or 2.0?

For 1.8 it will most likely require one or two edits. It will need to be rewritten from scratch for 2.0, unless 2.0 is either responsive or comes with a mobile theme. Smile
Sent a PM to you
I want to echo frostschultz and say that while I can't feasibly take on such a project (for lack of experience mainly) I do use it on a few forums and have had no problems at all with it. In fact, I got a lot of reps from my members everywhere I install it.

So thanks for creating such a nice plugin/theme for mobile users and good luck in keeping it going now that no longer wish to maintain it yourself. Smile
(2012-11-25, 05:53 PM)InfernoSoft Wrote: [ -> ]Sent a PM to you

I've responded.

(2012-11-25, 05:55 PM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]I want to echo frostschultz and say that while I can't feasibly take on such a project (for lack of experience mainly) I do use it on a few forums and have had no problems at all with it. In fact, I got a lot of reps from my members everywhere I install it.

So thanks for creating such a nice plugin/theme for mobile users and good luck in keeping it going now that no longer wish to maintain it yourself. Smile

You're most welcome, and I again thank everyone for their contributions and feedback - everything helps Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5