MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Single or Multiple Universes?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
(2013-01-03, 07:09 PM)Crayo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-03, 06:51 PM)Fábio Maia Wrote: [ -> ]But for me it's disturbing, because it means that in many of the universes I have made bad decisions. I may be studying the humanities or arts in one of those universes (oh, the horror!). I may be a drug dealer or a serial killer in one of those universes. I may have even committed suicide. It just bothers me that people might be thinking "Ugh, look at that idiot" depending on the decisions I have made.

I normally try to help those insecure enough to really care what the people around them think, but I have no idea what I would say to someone insecure enough to care about what the people in parallel dimension think about their decision-failing self.

lol. My parents are psychiatrists, I'm going to ask them how they would handle a patient that claims to be fine in this dimension but is having problems with themselves in an alternative dimension.
(2013-01-03, 07:13 PM)Fábio Maia Wrote: [ -> ]So it would be okay to be a drug dealer or a serial killer?

Hell yeah it's okay, a book about your life would sell better than a book about how perfect you were and how you loved attending church. You should be depressed about how you're not that awesome now. Shame on you Fabio, shame on you.
Depending on how you interpret multiple universes, you could argue that we are all murderers, as if multiple universes exist as multiple independent timelines of our own existence that are infinite in number, it is certain that in one such existence, we are murderers.
Or every single version of Crayo is a pleasant heart-warming non-murderer sob.
(2013-01-03, 06:28 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]ESR360's posts are a great example of what happens when you take your knowledge of the cosmos not from scientists but from YouTube videos and Ashton Kutcher.

One instance where i wish mybb had a post like button xD
I'm not even sure why I'm discussing this with you Crayo. Toungue The whole decision-failing thing was kinda meant as a joke, if that wasn't obvious. You'll be glad to know that I am quite satisfied with myself.

However, while we're at it, I still can't quite process your answer to my last question. Am I missing something? Some kind of a private joke maybe? Please tell me, because I can not otherwise understand why you say shooting one's own mother, 20 first-graders, 6 educators and committing suicide afterwards would be, and I quote, okay. You know, because people prefer to read that kind of stuff apparently.

(2013-01-03, 07:57 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]Depending on how you interpret multiple universes, you could argue that we are all murderers, as if multiple universes exist as multiple independent timelines of our own existence that are infinite in number, it is certain that in one such existence, we are murderers.

Indeed.
(2013-01-03, 08:16 PM)Fábio Maia Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not even sure why I'm discussing this with you Crayo. Toungue The whole decision-failing thing was kinda meant as a joke, if that wasn't obvious. You'll be glad to know that I am quite satisfied with myself.

However, while we're at it, I still can't quite process your answer to my last question. Am I missing something? Some kind of a private joke maybe? Please tell me, because I can not otherwise understand why you say shooting one's own mother, 20 first-graders, 6 educators and committing suicide afterwards would be, and I quote, okay. You know, because people prefer to read that kind of stuff apparently.

Lol you completely misunderstood my context, forget about it (I know it was a joke, I would be really worried if it wasn't...) Toungue
(2013-01-03, 04:11 PM)ESR360 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-03, 02:22 PM)Pirata Nervo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-03, 06:16 AM)ESR360 Wrote: [ -> ]There are most likely multiple universes and definitely at least 11 dimensions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkxieS-6WuA

Whether or not they exist is not what is really up for debate, what is up for debate is how we define and interpret the terms.

To me, any world I visit in a dream is another universe/dimension (if you watched and understood the video I linked, it can be stated that dreams are essentially visits into any dimension beyond the 5th dimension.

(...)

I watched the video and cannot link dreams with other dimensions. Except for that fact that you may dream something that has not happened yet, or something that you would have liked to have happened in the past. But still, you're dreaming, not going into other dimensions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_theory

Why does the fact you dreaming therefore mean you could not also be going to other dimensions?

I just had a dream where I was held captive at an airport and had to escape. The actions of this event didn't take place in this dimension we currently share perception of. I could travel an infinite amount of space and time in this dimension and never find the airport I was at in my dream. Why? Because it simply doesn't exist in this dimension. There is no geographical location in space and time I can give you which would locate this airport, ie; it doesn't exist in the 3rd or 4th dimension. But I still went to it and had an adventure there. I remember what it looked like and felt like. I put it to you that therefore this airport I was at was in another dimension. How did I get there? Who knows how sleep and dreams work.

As I said, the debate isn't about whether other dimensions exist, it's about how we want to define and interpret the terms. What constitutes another dimension for you? Why isn't the alternate world of me escaping from airports considered an alternative dimension? Coz it sure as hell wasn't in this one. Different dimensions are just concepts. It's apples and oranges. What you call making an informed decision I might call projecting oneself into the 5th dimension to simulate decision outcomes, to make basing my decision easier. They are still the same thing, we just view them differently.

The concept of dimension itself has nothing to do with dreams. You're dreaming, your brain is thinking, it is producing images of your imagination. It is very clear that what is happening, is happening in this universe - i.e. your brain processing images. In this universe, however, there are multiple dimensions, and you are in all those dimensions.

It seems that you're mixing up dimensions with multiple universes. Each universe has multiple dimensions and "you are" actually in each dimension (length, depth, height, time, etc).
(2013-01-04, 12:48 AM)Pirata Nervo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-03, 04:11 PM)ESR360 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-03, 02:22 PM)Pirata Nervo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-03, 06:16 AM)ESR360 Wrote: [ -> ]There are most likely multiple universes and definitely at least 11 dimensions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkxieS-6WuA

Whether or not they exist is not what is really up for debate, what is up for debate is how we define and interpret the terms.

To me, any world I visit in a dream is another universe/dimension (if you watched and understood the video I linked, it can be stated that dreams are essentially visits into any dimension beyond the 5th dimension.

(...)

I watched the video and cannot link dreams with other dimensions. Except for that fact that you may dream something that has not happened yet, or something that you would have liked to have happened in the past. But still, you're dreaming, not going into other dimensions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_theory

Why does the fact you dreaming therefore mean you could not also be going to other dimensions?

I just had a dream where I was held captive at an airport and had to escape. The actions of this event didn't take place in this dimension we currently share perception of. I could travel an infinite amount of space and time in this dimension and never find the airport I was at in my dream. Why? Because it simply doesn't exist in this dimension. There is no geographical location in space and time I can give you which would locate this airport, ie; it doesn't exist in the 3rd or 4th dimension. But I still went to it and had an adventure there. I remember what it looked like and felt like. I put it to you that therefore this airport I was at was in another dimension. How did I get there? Who knows how sleep and dreams work.

As I said, the debate isn't about whether other dimensions exist, it's about how we want to define and interpret the terms. What constitutes another dimension for you? Why isn't the alternate world of me escaping from airports considered an alternative dimension? Coz it sure as hell wasn't in this one. Different dimensions are just concepts. It's apples and oranges. What you call making an informed decision I might call projecting oneself into the 5th dimension to simulate decision outcomes, to make basing my decision easier. They are still the same thing, we just view them differently.

The concept of dimension itself has nothing to do with dreams. You're dreaming, your brain is thinking, it is producing images of your imagination. It is very clear that what is happening, is happening in this universe - i.e. your brain processing images. In this universe, however, there are multiple dimensions, and you are in all those dimensions.

It seems that you're mixing up dimensions with multiple universes. Each universe has multiple dimensions and "you are" actually in each dimension (length, depth, height, time, etc).

If I understand what you just said, you told me that when you dream it is happening in this Universe, yet there are multiple dimensions which I am in. So how does that conflict what I said? If I dream in this Universe, I travel to a different dimension in this Universe.

The images my brain processes when I sleep are not in this 3 dimensional world we share. Anything I experience in a dream is an experience outside of what we call the 3rd dimension.

It is very easy to confuse the two. There are multiple Universes each with its own dimensions. The universe we currently share has its own 5th dimension, 6th dimension etc, but every other alternate universe also has it's own 5th dimension and 6th dimension. So there are not only multiple dimensions, but multiple copies of the same dimension in an alternate universe. This essentially means that one specific line drawn in the 4th dimension in one Universe could be exactly the same as a 5th dimensional line in a different universe, or even a 6th dimensional line in a different universe.

I'm not even going to pretend I actually know what I'm talking about though, doing so but only be naive.
The problem is you don't have even the slightest understanding of what a "dimension" is. A dimension is not a hypothetical – it is a real thing.

At any rate, everything you're saying is low-grade science fiction fare not grounded at all in reality. This quote alone demonstrates your nonsensical way of thinking:

Quote:The images my brain processes when I sleep are not in this 3 dimensional world we share. Anything I experience in a dream is an experience outside of what we call the 3rd dimension.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9