MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Tableless Responsive Theme for MyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
OP image reminds me of the first day of porting Bootstrap and Zurb Foundation to MyBB's engine. Was hell for the first 30 minutes.
It's a work in progress.
Good luck with the project, didn't expect anyone would try crafting a responsive theme before at least MyBB 1.8 comes out.

(2013-03-11, 07:57 PM)Jason L. Wrote: [ -> ]There is nothing wrong with tables if you know how to use them, and if you're too lazy to learn then well that's your problem.

That's funny to see those words coming from a designer. Can you elaborate how using tables is harder than avoiding them? I'm really really wondering.
lol thanks Destroy666, I try to avoid the trolls, but thanks for hitting that head on! ;D cheers!
Come spring break I'll have time from college to hit this head on and hopefully pump out a beta release... the calendar might be a pita but we'll see lol.
(2013-03-12, 09:42 AM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]Good luck with the project, didn't expect anyone would try crafting a responsive theme before at least MyBB 1.8 comes out.

(2013-03-11, 07:57 PM)Jason L. Wrote: [ -> ]There is nothing wrong with tables if you know how to use them, and if you're too lazy to learn then well that's your problem.

That's funny to see those words coming from a designer. Can you elaborate how using tables is harder than avoiding them? I'm really really wondering.

I think you made a mistake. I had said tables are easy if you use them correctly. No one can give me a legitimate reason on why tables are bad in the first place.
@Jason, they are not dynamic without javascript. Tables are an old html technology that is going to be eventually deprecated.

Are HTML tables going to be deprecated?
http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_table.asp
W3 Wrote:Differences Between HTML 4.01 and HTML5
HTML5 only supports the "border" attribute, and its value can be "1" or "".
Table align Deprecated in HTML 4.01.
Table color Not supported in HTML5. Deprecated in HTML 4.01
cell padding Not supported in HTML5.
cell spacing Not supported in HTML5
frame Not supported in HTML5
rules Not supported in HTML5.
summary Not supported in HTML5
width Not supported in HTML5.

The possible future of HTML table equivalents?
probably something like Flex Box.
http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-flexbox/

In the mean time using Divs with CSS gives (in my opinion) much more control across multiple devices. However typical tables are still usable... they are.. in my opinion.. an absolutely UGLY way to present information in my opinion.
The tables used in MyBB are NOT used to represent chart data as in statistical research... or even financial statements.. which are more logical reasons to use html tables and was their primary original function... to represent data.
Instead MyBB uses them as a STRUCTURAL control element for content instead of as charts for data. NO... content is not the same as numerical data that I'm referring to.
For MyBB... tables are otherwise not needed unless being used to represent a massive amount of data quickly for say a financial/account studies forum group. In which case Excel and powerpoints would be better suited anyway.
I won't continue to argue on this topic. Table topic served and conquered moving on.
(2013-03-12, 10:39 AM)Jason L. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-03-12, 09:42 AM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]Good luck with the project, didn't expect anyone would try crafting a responsive theme before at least MyBB 1.8 comes out.

I think you made a mistake. I had said tables are easy if you use them correctly. No one can give me a legitimate reason on why tables are bad in the first place.

They shouldn't be used as a core structure for any website. They are old and on the way out. Tables are fine for small portions of websites, but as stated above they are old technology. You can do so much more with pure css layouts now anyway.
Tables should only be used for tabular data like SQL query responses and spreadsheet data. Anything else is misusing them. DIVs are more than enough to properly lay out your site if you know what you're doing.
(2013-03-12, 11:29 AM)WebDevandPhoto Wrote: [ -> ]@Jason, they are not dynamic without javascript. Tables are an old html technology that is going to be eventually deprecated.

Are HTML tables going to be deprecated?
http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_table.asp
W3 Wrote:Differences Between HTML 4.01 and HTML5
HTML5 only supports the "border" attribute, and its value can be "1" or "".
Table align Deprecated in HTML 4.01.
Table color Not supported in HTML5. Deprecated in HTML 4.01
cell padding Not supported in HTML5.
cell spacing Not supported in HTML5
frame Not supported in HTML5
rules Not supported in HTML5.
summary Not supported in HTML5
width Not supported in HTML5.

The possible future of HTML table equivalents?
probably something like Flex Box.
http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-flexbox/

In the mean time using Divs with CSS gives (in my opinion) much more control across multiple devices. However typical tables are still usable... they are.. in my opinion.. an absolutely UGLY way to present information in my opinion.
The tables used in MyBB are NOT used to represent chart data as in statistical research... or even financial statements.. which are more logical reasons to use html tables and was their primary original function... to represent data.
Instead MyBB uses them as a STRUCTURAL control element for content instead of as charts for data. NO... content is not the same as numerical data that I'm referring to.
For MyBB... tables are otherwise not needed unless being used to represent a massive amount of data quickly for say a financial/account studies forum group. In which case Excel and powerpoints would be better suited anyway.
I won't continue to argue on this topic. Table topic served and conquered moving on.
Have to agree. I don't like tables. I KNOW how to use them, but I just don't like them. They are a way of the past, old-fashioned. Getting off that (as the topic wasn't about that), very nice theme. Any idea when it will be finished? I saw that you have the GetSimple already up. From the pictures, it looks very good. My hats are off to you Big Grin
(2013-04-18, 10:08 PM)Ryan M. Wrote: [ -> ]Have to agree. I don't like tables. I KNOW how to use them, but I just don't like them. They are a way of the past, old-fashioned. Getting off that (as the topic wasn't about that), very nice theme. Any idea when it will be finished? I saw that you have the GetSimple already up. From the pictures, it looks very good. My hats are off to you Big Grin

I'm a long way off from being done let me tell you... still have school to contend with.
My GS version is super beta still and therefor IMO is like poo on a platter.
Speaking of poo on a platter, how's that knock off (of my forum) gaming site you left mine to do going? Toungue I'm not gonna let you live that one down.. lol.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6