MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Tableless Responsive Theme for MyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
I'm changing this project to be completely public, meaning I want no copyright claim to it at all anymore. I only maintain 1 forum with MyBB and my others use BBpress. So I'm not able to devote the time to this that I originally thought I would when I made this thread. So far there's only one theme I know about that uses a tableless design but as far as I know it's not fluid/responsive on Zurb foundation framework (which is a bit heavy but it's nice).

Right now the biggest issue I had was some of the MyBB js doesn't work without the table structure... and since I'm not fluent is js I'm personally not able to fix that.
If someone else with js experience would like to develop 2 replacement files for this so that MyBB js features (quick edit, select, etc) will work with the foundation by zurb framework then that would be incredible.

So that's the most recent info on this. The theme is on github so feel free to download/modify/update it:
https://github.com/LevyImage/FoundationN.../MyBB1.6.x
I made leefish to be responsive - its isn't tableless (because of the javascript) but it resizes pretty well I think. I made a very very simple framework of my own and redid all the templates (Except ACP and MODCP because those are not user facing.
(2014-03-09, 01:06 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]I made leefish to be responsive - its isn't tableless (because of the javascript) but it resizes pretty well I think. I made a very very simple framework of my own and redid all the templates (Except ACP and MODCP because those are not user facing.

Fair amount of table cells can be removed (for example in forumdisplay_thread) without breaking any js function:

<tr>
<td class="trow1">Cell 1 </td>
<td class="trow1">Cell 2 </td>
<td class="trow1">Cell 3 </td>
<td class="trow1">Cell 4 </td>
<td class="trow1"><checkbox></td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td class="trow1">
<div class="mydiv">Cell 1</div>
<div class="mydiv">Cell 2</div>
<div class="mydiv">Cell 3</div>
<div class="mydiv"><checkbox></div>
</td>
</tr>

td {
  padding:0;
}

.mydiv {
  display: table-cell;
  vertical-align:midle;
  padding:4px;
}

The only problem is that div tags won't behave 100% as table cells if a parent isn't behaving like a table row (and the parent of that parent as table).

I have tried with a responsive solution (does not involve jquery mobile or responsive tables) but it isn't worth of hassle (+ to much core edits). So, instead of removing table cells i have decided to chop them off for a mobile theme ( http://i.imgur.com/1m09dHe.png / http://i.imgur.com/3CUFnUx.png ).

On index forumbit_depth2_forum is using 4 td tags, after revamp 3 td tags were removed and the final output was

<tr>
<td class="trow1">
<span class="index_icon"></span>
<div>
Forum name (status)                                            > (last post arrow)<br />
XX Posts in xx threads
</div>
</td>
</tr>
Perhaps look at the source code for leefish in your browser Johnny if you would like to help advise on what I can get rid of Smile . I of course already edited the forumdisplay threadlist where each thread was contained in a single <td> (so the javascript worked) and that was it for my tables on that page. Forumbits on index in a similar way. One has to be practical after all.
Tables are not going anywhere, but much of their presentation aspects are being regulated to CSS (where it belongs). Tables are perfect for tabular data. Are forums tabular data? This seems to be up for debate.

How can you hate on tables, but embrace so much JavaScript? A site should be usable with browser plugins such as NoScript. All images should include a meaningful alt text.
Hi Leefish,

Sorry if this is a silly question or if you have answered it elsewhere, but are you offering your responsive theme to others? I would love to try it out.

When I looked on your site here I didn't see where to download the theme:
http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=51

Thanks.
Herb
@Herb - thank you for liking my theme.

Though a great deal of it is pretty much out of the box it does "need" some custom plugins by me and a few patches to core code and uses template conditionals for some things - and XThreads for the library/downloads/finds forums of course.

This means that sharing it as a theme - though possible - would mean a bit of template refactoring and as I have less time for MyBB etc than I used to its a lot of work for me that actually delivers me no benefit. That is why it is not available as a theme in my downloads area.
Hi Leefish,

Thanks for the quick response!

I haven't had much luck in finding a responsive theme for MyBB, but I am also looking at FoundationNation on Github.

Others responsive themes discussed in the MyBB Community but which don't seem to be available:
- Bootstrap - not released
- Super Nova v1.8 - not released

If you or anyone else has some suggestions on a responsive theme, or one that adjusts for desktop vs. tablet vs. phone, I would welcome the suggestions.

Thanks.
Herb
You could try MyBB GoMobile. It is made for phones and has an autoswitch so users can be switched to that theme automatically. It doesn't look that fab on an iPad, but it gets the job done.

I believe a user can swap the theme back to the standard forum theme if they don't like the look on a tablet - most tablets can handle a tabular theme.
After being stuck bad on the javascript I avoided developing this further... I'm back on the forums here today because my one last community which runs on MyBB (everything is wordpress now) I want to breathe in a little more life into it with a new theme. My theme was never ready for production use... but all the work I did is on github for everyone who wants to take a crack at it. I'm haven't gone to college for webdesign and I just don't have the time to try to learn everything needed. Moved onto motion picture production and have a celebrity talkshow in the works.. already produced the half hour demo. So I pass the torch to anyone who wants to give the theme a try... yea Johnny is right... it would be a whole lot more work left but shoot... it might be worth it. There's no core updates needed so long as the javascript can be reworked. BTW... the community.mybb.com forum looks a lot better now, is this theme available?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6