MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Will it be possible to create table-less templates?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
If you want a tableless theme... find one and use it or make one of your own. No one is stopping you. It's that simple...
The problem is the hardcoded HTML in 1.6 - hence the OP frostschutz Wink
Yeah, like I mentioned, I have no trouble creating a tableless theme. I just need to be able to adapt it to mybb
He's right that some of the html is hard coded. Not a lot but enough that it's tougher to do a tableless design.

Quote:I have to disagree that forums are mostly tabular data. I'd consider them to be primarily list-based.

You're kidding right? Maybe forums software like Vanilla adhere to that ideal but MyBB is tabular based. Just look at the database, the way showthread is displayed, and the php code for the mysql queries involved. MyBB is tabuluar whether you want to believe it or not. It is.
(2013-05-02, 07:50 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]The problem is the hardcoded HTML in 1.6 - hence the OP frostschutz Wink

For example?

There's little to no hardcoded tables as far as I can see... a grep yields no table or td tags (not anywhere important anyway - who cares about MySQL debug messages really?).

And if there is, you can just use Patches to get rid of it.

Edit: Ah okay, inline moderation JS. Should be simple enough to adapt...
Oh and if you want a taste of probably the only way to use MyBB on a mobile currently try the Threaded mode.
Although a tableless theme would be ideal by todays standards, doesn't mean it is worth spending hours of your time rewriting all of the templates. Sure responsive is great, but does your forum really need it? There are other solutions available such as MyBB GoMobile that you can get to work for your forum with minimal effort. GoMobile will also be receiving a long awaited update I've been working on soon. Supporting mobile devices is great but how many forums do you visit on the go, and if many how few of those have a mobile version?

There are a few solutions to having a responsive layout even with tables. These should also work with MyBB with minimal effort. Yes, it does require a js file and sometimes a css file but ask yourself, what's more worth it, hours of my time or a coupe extra KB's of bandwidth.

Here's a good one if you choose to go this route: http://foundation.zurb.com/responsive-tables.php
IMHO this thread should be in the 2.0 suggestions area. 1.8 just won't see this type of change. But good discussion anyways.
Well, 2.0 won't use tables, we already know that.

I'm just wondering if it'll be any easier to achieve in 1.8 with minimal core edits.

Like I said, I'm already a web developer, so it's not a huge undertaking.

So where is the inline moderation js anyway
(2013-05-02, 08:46 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-05-02, 07:50 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]The problem is the hardcoded HTML in 1.6 - hence the OP frostschutz Wink

For example?

There's little to no hardcoded tables as far as I can see... a grep yields no table or td tags (not anywhere important anyway - who cares about MySQL debug messages really?).

And if there is, you can just use Patches to get rid of it.

Edit: Ah okay, inline moderation JS. Should be simple enough to adapt...

Moderation JS is one. Another is how some of the other JS works as it relies on a certain basic structure of elements/classes/IDs.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5