MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Discuss: MyBB Ideas Site Launches
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
labrocca Wrote:It we be nice if we could negative vote an "idea" as well. I personally think some ideas are just poor and want to negative vote for them. I think that would be more fair imho.
It could too easily be abused - you want yours to be thought of as voted the most, so you go around and negative vote others. If you don't like a idea, just don't vote for it and leave a comment that says why you don't like it...
This was discussed before and we agreed to not use it. First of all it would give the same effect as the Reputation system on this forum, which was closed for abuse reasons. And second, if you don't like the idea, just don't vote. It'll show the same either way, just not to a negative degree.
DrPoodle Wrote:Sounds good. I wouldn't know where to start to make an application like that, so htaccess is fine for me at the moment Toungue

You should try CodeIgniter it's incredibly easy.
labrocca Wrote:It we be nice if we could negative vote an "idea" as well. I personally think some ideas are just poor and want to negative vote for them. I think that would be more fair imho.

I agree with you 100%. But until it happens, you can leave the idea negative comments.
Sorry to bother, but you can just vote for and not against an idea. So I gave my vote when I didn't want to.
Voting against an idea was deemed to be insecure since it is open to abuse.

I still think we should be able to remove votes that we either place in error, or that are for ideas we have thought about and no longer support.
Tikitiki Wrote:This was discussed before and we agreed to not use it. First of all it would give the same effect as the Reputation system on this forum, which was closed for abuse reasons. And second, if you don't like the idea, just don't vote. It'll show the same either way, just not to a negative degree.

Yes but this isn't reputation. This is something that effects MANY mybb forum admins.  Let's say 20+ people vote positive for an idea...yet 50 don't want it...how would the mybb team know?  Doubtful that 50 people are going to bother posting a negative comment.  

Looking at the ideas page once again...what about just having a seperate thumbs down?  So an idea can't really get a negative like reputation.  It would be counted seperately...10 people vote UP... 8 people vote thumbs down.  I think this is fair...it gives a better idea of how the overall community is thinking of the idea.  It's silly to only ask for positive votes on all ideas because that's all you will get...positive votes!
I'll be adding the ability to remove votes later tonight.

As for negative voting, we've pretty much decided against it because it can easily lead to abuse, similar to how the reputation system was being abused here.
We won't implement features just because of their vote - as I mentioned to someone earlier, the entire decision ends up resting with myself and the team as to if it is beneficial for MyBB or not.

Having people vote two ways, is more susceptible to abuse than just allowing them to vote one way. It's sad to say people aren't mature enough for the most part - they'll see their idea getting the thumbs down and then they'll go and give other ideas the thumbs down - especially if someone posts a negative comment about their idea, they'll go and rate the commenter's ideas as bad too (well add a point for thumbs down). As much as you think it won't happen, it will - it's how some people are.

This way - you don't like an idea you don't vote for it at all.

Like I mentioned to Dennis, we're going to see how it runs first off and if it does need changes like that then I'll think about implementing them.
If the vote doesn't affect the decision to implement the feature, then showing negative votes won't affect it either. *cough* *cough*

AngelAngelAngel
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5