MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: PM e-mails and e-mail subscription alerts seem delayed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
(2015-03-12, 10:56 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Strange that it should only start in 1.8.4 if it's worked fine previously. The git blame doesn't show any changes for that release in any of the code I rooted out and I don't remember there being any email based changes whatsoever. That said, I'm not focused on the 1.x branch at the moment.

Is the mail server logging details about sending? Perhaps you could trace a PM through the mail server and see when it actually starts to be sent. Also, you could try outsourcing email sending to a service like Mandrill and see if it behaves any differently at all.

right now I have postfix set up to forward all e-mails...

I just sent 3 e-mails from the server to my direct e-mail address, sent 1 message from the server to 1 of my e-mail addresses that gets forwarded to my personal e-mail address and then sent an e-mail from an external e-mail account to a forwarded e-mail address that gets sent to my personal e-mail address and everything was instant.

I'll try sending a PM from a test account to regular account and tail the mail log.

just did a test....sent a PM from a test account to my account @ 7:13 pm...got the PM alert on the index page, got the tapatalk alert, but no e-mail alert yet and the mail log is blank...
Bizarre. Remember emails will only be sent if pages of the site are loaded, so did you click around a bit after sending the PM or have other users online?
Quote:emails will only be sent if pages of the site are loaded

So does this rely on the task image being fired from the index page?
If so, what is the actual task that handles this - mass mail????
Hi,

This does not use the task system, it uses a piece of code inside ./inc/init.php to process the mail queue.

The mass mail task handles mass emails sent via the ACP.
OK thanks Euan.
You mention that the emails will only be sent if pages of the site are loaded....
What if someone writes a PM, sends it, but doesn't click around the forums after? Will it not be sent until some activity is seen?
(2015-03-13, 07:37 AM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Bizarre. Remember emails will only be sent if pages of the site are loaded, so did you click around a bit after sending the PM or have other users online?

absolutely..in fact, I got the PM e-mail like....45 minutes after the e-mail came.  it's very spotty, at best.

(2015-03-13, 08:25 AM)Wozzer Wrote: [ -> ]OK thanks Euan.
You mention that the emails will only be sent if pages of the site are loaded....
What if someone writes a PM, sends it, but doesn't click around the forums after?  Will it not be sent until some activity is seen?

are you having problems with PM alerts not being sent on time as well?
What if someone writes a PM, sends it, but doesn't click around the forums after?  Will it not be sent until some activity is seen?
That's my understanding from looking at the code. Note that it can be any user activity from any user. SO long as somebody loads a page, the mail queue should be processed.
(2015-03-13, 02:04 PM)Shemo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-03-13, 07:37 AM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Bizarre. Remember emails will only be sent if pages of the site are loaded, so did you click around a bit after sending the PM or have other users online?

absolutely..in fact, I got the PM e-mail like....45 minutes after the e-mail came.  it's very spotty, at best.

I'll have to look a bit closer. Everything seems to work as it should here, so I'm not sure what's causing your problems.
(2015-03-13, 02:08 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]
That's my understanding from looking at the code. Note that it can be any user activity from any user. SO long as somebody loads a page, the mail queue should be processed.

(2015-03-13, 02:04 PM)Shemo Wrote: [ -> ]

I'll have to look a bit closer. Everything seems to work as it should here, so I'm not sure what's causing your problems.

I can get you server access if you'd like to look at it deeper.  
(2015-03-13, 02:04 PM)Shemo Wrote: [ -> ]are you having problems with PM alerts not being sent on time as well?

Yes - see http://community.mybb.com/thread-168263.html
It only seems to have started since 1.8.4
(2015-03-14, 09:05 AM)Wozzer Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-03-13, 02:04 PM)Shemo Wrote: [ -> ]are you having problems with PM alerts not being sent on time as well?

Yes - see http://community.mybb.com/thread-168263.html
It only seems to have started since 1.8.4

I'm glad I'm not the only one then...and from my own testing, it seems like it might be isolated to mybb as I haven't been able to reproduce the problem when sending e-mails directly from the server and from e-mail account to e-mail account.

what are your server software specs so we can help the mybb team maybe nail down the issue?

my info:
mybb - 1.8.4
php - 5.5.9
mysql - 5.5.41

mail server:
postfix (SMTP only)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8