MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: PM e-mails and e-mail subscription alerts seem delayed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
They should be sent, that is the only way to know if it works or not Smile
I think there might be a plugin causing a conflict with sending email alerts on time. I swear I saw a post somewhere (I'm currently looking for it) where someone mentioned that since 1.8.4, the plugin they were using was causing regular mybb email alerts to not be sent on time, exactly like we've been describing here.

I'm fairly certain the same plugin they were complaining about was the same plugin that was being used on the forum I managed at the time.

just as a comparison, I recently set up a new mybb forum, running 1.8.4, with only a few plugins, and my email messages for new PMs are not being delayed whatsoever. the new forum I'm running only has like 6 users right now, so it's not like people are pounding the index page to constantly have the system check for queued messages.

wozzer,

would you mind sharing your current plugin list since we know you were having the same problem as I was?
Strange. I certainly haven't seen any mention of such problems with a particular plugin. That isn't to say it isn't possible, I just find it odd that it would only cause issues with a specific version.
(2015-04-25, 09:07 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Strange. I certainly haven't seen any mention of such problems with a particular plugin. That isn't to say it isn't possible, I just find it odd that it would only cause issues with a specific version.

found it: http://community.mybb.com/thread-167909.html

welcome PM plugin from - G33k - could possibly be causing the conflict.  I can confirm that this plugin is also in use on the forum I reported this issue for.
I'll try get a chance to look at it tomorrow and see if I can see any obvious cause then.
(2015-04-25, 09:22 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]I'll try get a chance to look at it tomorrow and see if I can see any obvious cause then.

hopefully wozzer will chime in and let us know if he's using that welcome pm plugin on his forum or not.  that should definitely help narrow down the issue some more if that's the case.
(2015-04-25, 09:26 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-04-25, 09:22 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]I'll try get a chance to look at it tomorrow and see if I can see any obvious cause then.

hopefully wozzer will chime in and let us know if he's using that welcome pm plugin on his forum or not.  that should definitely help narrow down the issue some more if that's the case.

'Fraid I'm not using the Welcome PM Plugin.

(2015-04-24, 04:50 PM)avguste Wrote: [ -> ]Just uploaded and added the crontab code. How do I see if it works with 2 previously written, but never sent mails?

Although you have uploaded the file (cron_mail_queue.php), have you actually setup your cron job?

If so, at the beginning of your cron job you could always add:
[email=MAILTO=youremail@yourdomain]MAILTO=youremail@yourdomain[/email]....

This will then fire off a basic email as the cron fires off. At least this way you will see if your cron is actually firing.
Once you confirmed it working, just comment the MAILTO line out with a  hash - otherwise you will receive that email every 5 minutes (or depending on your time interval)

Failing that, show me a copy of your cron file.

Mine says: (have hidden some of my account details)

*/5 * * * * /usr/bin/php5.4 /kunden/homepages/7/dxxxxxx/htdocs/forums/inc/cron_mail_queue.php

This launches the mail queue every 5 mins irrespective of any visitors to the forums.
(2015-04-26, 08:00 AM)Wozzer Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-04-25, 09:26 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]

'Fraid I'm not using the Welcome PM Plugin.

dang, I thought we may of had a smoking gun. are you using any plugins that trigger a PM or email to users?

it is odd that I do not have welcome pm installed on my new forum yet and there's no delay in getting emails from the forum, especially with only 4-6 users on the forum right now.
I had a look at the welcome PM plugin and couldn't see anything immediately obvious that would cause issues with sending mails. It seems like a fairly simple plugin... I'll have to install it and see what happens.
I am seeing this issue on a big board I admin for. Did you ever see if the geek plugin was causing the issue Euan?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8