MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Open Community Team Meeting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(2016-08-18, 01:27 PM)Ben Wrote: [ -> ]We already have that here: https://mybb.com/get-involved/irc-channel/ but as I said we're looking to replace it with something else or make more use of it.

I'd say Discord could be best replacement for IRC. However, when are you planning that meetup? Big Grin
(2016-08-18, 03:54 PM)metonator Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-08-18, 01:27 PM)Ben Wrote: [ -> ]We already have that here: https://mybb.com/get-involved/irc-channel/ but as I said we're looking to replace it with something else or make more use of it.

I'd say Discord could be best replacement for IRC. However, when are you planning that meetup? Big Grin

We're actually testing a number of things right now - discord being one of them. As for when or what's happening we're not sure - we wanted to see how interested the community would be.
(2016-08-18, 03:51 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-08-18, 03:35 PM)Devilshakerz Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-08-18, 03:16 PM)envira Wrote: [ -> ]Great. I do think MyBB had an IRc channel in the past. Looking forward for the interaction though. Would search for a possible better option than IRC.

https://mybb.com/get-involved/irc-channel/

We're reviewing our options for a Community chat as well (as IRC may not seem as accessible to some), so if you have had good experience with certain platforms, feel free to share.

Would definitely +1 for Slack. Use it at work and love it.

+2. Also use it at work and also love it.
Discord seems cool, too.
We already use slack as a internal chat for staff and we are unhappy with the restrictions.
(2016-08-18, 10:15 PM)Ben Wrote: [ -> ]We already use slack as a internal chat for staff and we are unhappy with the restrictions.

Discord seems cool, too. Curious about what restrictions you're unhappy with!
(2016-08-18, 10:15 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-08-18, 10:15 PM)Ben Wrote: [ -> ]We already use slack as a internal chat for staff and we are unhappy with the restrictions.

I'll drop you a PM with an invite to our test discord channel.
(2016-08-18, 10:15 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]

We're hitting the message history limit as we're currently on a free tier, however the main issue is organizing public discussion on Slack - the easiest setup would be to have a separate, public organization with a script for automated invites, but we could avoid this burden if we choose a different platform.

As mentioned, we're currently evaluating Discord and it seems decent; we have an interesting concept of integrating IRC channels with their Discord counterparts by copying messages back and forth using chat bots and we'll be looking into it at some point to maximize accessibility and convenience.
That being said, Discord haven't established their freemium model yet so it's hard to tell what limits may be applied in the future, regardless of their answers now.
(2016-08-18, 03:16 PM)envira Wrote: [ -> ]Great. I do think MyBB had an IRc channel in the past. Looking forward for the interaction though. Would search for a possible better option than IRC.

We're reviewing our options for a Community chat as well (as IRC may not seem as accessible to some), so if you have had good experience with certain platforms, feel free to share.

(2016-08-18, 10:13 PM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]

+2. Also use it at work and also love it.
I feel there should be a Poll, lot of Slack suggestions but as Ben said they are currently not happy with Slack so lets see how it goes. I had a pretty good experience with Slack as it is currently used in my organization.
(2016-08-18, 10:34 PM)Devilshakerz Wrote: [ -> ]We're hitting the message history limit as we're currently on a free tier

The question is that how far do we really need to go back? I mean; I can see within the team having a use for it, but for public group chat, I can't see the need for it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5