MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB 1.x & 2.x Development RFC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
(2017-10-10, 11:44 PM)Azah Wrote: [ -> ]For mobile friendliness, if it's extremely urgent without breaking backwards compatibility, there is always the approach of rebranding archive mode as "mobile mode", redirecting mobile UserAgents to it, and unveiling that as an optional feature. Possibly touch it up a little to make it more presentable, however the ideal situation would be a responsive design.

Agreed there having a decent mobile option is the key thing and i guess in way your option does provide a simple hack in the short term. whilst it is not the best it does provide a simple avenue in the short term.

Quote:If there's an area 1.x can compare, it would be functionality, it has a vast amount of accumulated functionality over the past two decades, functionality which would take 2.x (not 2.0) time to re-add. It'll be quicker to re-add than it originally was in 1.x, but it would still take time, not to mention, that we aren't in the golden age of forums any-more which'll make it harder to stoke up passion.

Evolution is the biggest killer of any code and trying to keep up as i think Eric J stated you would always be chasing your tail in trying to keep up.

The end-user, forum owners and admins are the key things and whilst a lot do not know the code or are interested they just want the MyBB forum to function and be stable for their use.

We all know forums are not as popular as they used to be and a lot have migrated to damn Facebook "in my opinion the evilest thing on the internet" i still strongly believe in forums and integrating them into a modern design it is just a matter of how do you bring MyBB forward 1.x has to be a big part of this for now.

2.0 or 2.x is still so far away in reality it is more a point for those interested in the coding to discuss and move forward with the issue in whole is the community needs more coders to help with this so it can be achieved in a more realistic time frame as Azah has mentioned many times it is a matter of people getting in and helping.

I am a strong believer in cutting back the major features of 2.0 to get a core out and given the code base will be more modern and allow for more seamless integration then modular based features would be a big thing. the issue is having a core that will allow for people to write themes and plugins or modules so that more is available around a release time.

I am sure many would be happy to write a plugin if they had a simple functioning plugin core and theme base whilst they may not want to actually help with the core coding.

i cannot see a way to achieve a 1.x build that would allow a simple plugin core that would make it easy to migrate plugins so there has to be an end of line there somewhere but when do you draw that line when we do not have 2.0 pathway or any idea on how plugins will function i cannot see a road map to 2.0 there is no documentation around 2.0 (that i can see)
We've added a poll to track opinions of this discussion's participants. Please note that you can vote for multiple options and the voting is public (your usernames will be shown); the number of votes for each option will not necessarily correlate with the course of action since this discussion is mostly technical.

Thanks,
MyBB Team
I don't think a piecemeal migration makes much sense. As a plugin and theme developer I would rather have a single compatibility breaking instance instead of having to upgrade my code every few months.

1.8.x should receive security updates as needed, but the development team needs to focus on 2.0

documentation on 2.0 features should be kept up to date, possibly linking to tutorials on new technology choices
Added some explanation of the options to the OP
(2017-10-12, 07:35 PM)laie_techie Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think a piecemeal migration makes much sense. As a plugin and theme developer I would rather have a single compatibility breaking instance instead of having to upgrade my code every few months.

1.8.x should receive security updates as needed, but the development team needs to focus on 2.0

documentation on 2.0 features should be kept up to date, possibly linking to tutorials on new technology choices

Absolutely a valid argument, that's why we're trying to get a feel of what the community overall wants. Its hard to balance the needs of the community with the plugin/theme makers who both sit as the lifeblood of MyBB
Clearing up some reported confusion from public discussions here & on Discord:
  • each consecutive Current 1.x series option in the poll brings deeper changes to MyBB at version 1.8 that are not mutually exclusive,
  • the MyBB Project will continue providing stability fixes, security patches, environment (PHP, HTTP servers, databases) compatibility upgrades, appealing small/medium feature improvements in the 1.x series (depending on development contribution),
  • regardless of how the future development would look like, MyBB's code is planned to be fully revised (coding practices, performance, compatibility, security) and using concepts the 2.x series is currently being built with - the generalized spectrum of choices is summarized by Rewritten 2.x series options,
  • strategic 1.x updates to bridge structural changes would include updates affecting deep core, but mostly invisible to users and administrators; aspects like the directory structure, libraries, database interaction or routing would be changed or added on top without modifying large amounts of code in order to bring the two series closer conceptually and expose certain internal functionality to extension developers to lessen the impact of a 1.x-to-2.x jump; this would especially apply if a module being written for 2.0 could be easily introduced to 1.8 at the same time,
  • any large changes, especially refactoring (sequentially rewriting 1.8 section by section), increase the development & maintenance burden and increases the number of compatibility breakpoints,
  • after introducing certain sought-after features (new theme system, specific functionality) it might be more efficient (easier and possibly faster) to plan out larger sections of the system to be implemented in 2.x than having them completely revised for 1.x,
  • it will be easier to apply changes or implement/improve features to a 2.x system due to modularity, automated testing and developer-friendly workflow,
  • branches with which compatibility will be broken in subsequent releases will have to be supported for a reasonable amount of time, adding a maintenance overhead.
(2017-10-06, 04:22 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-10-06, 04:20 PM)devs Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-10-06, 04:08 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]I'd just like to say that I'm reading all the responses here, and taking them into account. I'd like to be able to reach  conclusion for the future direction by the end of the month personally (not sure what the rest of the team thinks) so that we can start moving in that chosen direction sooner rather than later.
All due respect:: are youi head-developer? Sounded rather imperative.

Yes, I am the development team leader.

One of the things that I liked about MyBB was the ease of installing and setting up once I got past the learning curve.

But... I hated the default theme... that glaring bright white color theme was not suitable for my needs. 
Thus I went on an adventure trying to find the right theme that had the right color scheme that I was looking for. 
I finally found one that was pretty close and I have been using it since. Here's the kicker... it took me a good 6 months to find the right theme.
(disclaimer, I had a friend who helped me fix up the theme to my liking)

My point?

If you look at some of the forum threads/posts (on MyBB.com), you can see there's a good amount that is focused on theme colors and modifications.

Why not incorporate that into the installation/upgrade function of MyBB? 

Like... give the Admin a choice of a dozen colors - Run a poll to determine those colors. 

During the install/upgrade have the Admin select the theme color and during the installation process, that color scheme will be incorporated into that Admin's initial install or upgrade.

I bet that you'll see a lot of positive postings about this kind of feature and that will enhance the experience of using MyBB.

Just my 2 cents.

EDIT: Almost forgot... utilize a mobile version of the theme during the install process. This feature can be optional based on the Admin's needs.
I suggest to take look at flarum: https://github.com/flarum/core. Rather than rewriting the forum from scratch, it may be better to join an existing project and have at least one modern PHP-based forum engine instead of multiple "forever-beta" projects.
flarum is nice, but at the same time it's also very un-mybb-like, and also stuck in beta-limbo for times to come.

Sounds good, doesn't work (yet).

Check back in 5 years.
It is still closer to release than MyBB 2 - there are many people using flarum for production sites already. It has also better architecture (the core is a composer dependency, so you need to add just few files to integrate forum into existing app), more stars on github and more active development. It may be easier do write some extensions to make flarum more mybb-like, than writing own engine from scratch.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9