MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB 1.x & 2.x Development RFC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
It isn't the only variable, nor is anything else. It is a variable. I just obviously believe it is a more important one than you do. Smile
I am hoping to see improvements in third party plugins and theme updates handling, the reason being it is hard to provide updates to theme once there are update to core MyBB. I feel this is very important as most of the people use theme from MyBB mods and they are not regularly updated like we see in wordpress.

I have given suggestion for this in past as well, I hope this happens.
https://community.mybb.com/thread-190172.html
At this point, a full rewrite of the software from the ground up is very much needed. It may be a very long time yet before we get to see it, but I guess we can wait if we have to. Just keep in mind that web standards are ever evolving, and at a fast pace, too; Make sure MyBB 2.0 is up to date when it comes out, so keep up with those evolving trends, practices and standards throughout development.

In the meantime, 1.x could use some modernizing, too. A modern-looking, responsive default theme is a must, and a long overdue one at that. It could benefit from some modern feature additions as well, like alerts and conversations. All on the same codebase, no major overhauls to the core system. I think that should do it for now.

So for me, modernizing the 1.x line a bit by adding a modern responsive default theme as well as a few modern features like alerts and conversations (on the same codebase), while sticking to the original plan of a full rewrite for 2.0, I think is the way to go here.

However, I can see that the 5th poll option, to further bridge the gap between 1.x and 2.0 is the most popular one, which does include an overhaul/modernization of the core codebase to a certain extent in addtion to just updating the stock theme and adding a few modern features, and I'm okay with that, too.

Just don't have 1.x become 2.0; MyBB needs a rewrite from scratch.
Someone mentioned that people might not understand the options clearly, so I'll try to explain. I haven't been keeping up with this topic, so bear with me, if I miss something obvious Wink

There are essentially two code-bases. 2.0 as it is today is a code-base completely from nothing, but which follows modern best practices, so it's much faster to work with, and there's a much lower chances of people making mistakes simply by design, thus fewer bugs. Fewer bugs not just means a less buggy system, but less potential security exploits, something we all care fairly deeply about.

However, there are concerns that 2.0 development is dragging on too long, and that sites are deteriorating in the meanwhile. With no end in sight, some have begun to wonder whether a temporary, or even potentially wait is worth it, if it means getting something usable out there *right now*.

Beyond that, the decision boils down to whether to cancel 2.0 and focus solely on 1.10 or to develop both at the same time which will lead to productivity dropping a lot, however if it works well, then you might be able to get the benefits of both.

The other option, cancelling 2.0, will involve rewriting the 1.x code-base which is a colossal task, it's not an easy task and may be tricky considering that the scale of the code is so vast that no one completely understands it and is too big and unstructured to properly review.

On the upside, if it goes well, then you might be able to have two code-bases living in one so to speak, where the more modern sections behave more appropriately than the archaic bits and it's a gradual change rather than replacing everything all at once.
All I can see is staff neglecting users...... maybe there is discussion taking place in hidden  forum - we do not know that. But there is some movement in MyBB repo on GH, its good. But, there is no official notice from staff to us whats going on. Its little bit unfair.

I understand they are busy, but still, it would be nice to know whats going on.
(2017-10-31, 10:23 AM)devs Wrote: [ -> ]All I can see is staff neglecting users...... maybe there is discussion taking place in hidden  forum - we do not know that. But there is some movement in MyBB repo on GH, its good. But, there is no official notice from staff to us whats going on. Its little bit unfair.

I understand they are busy, but still, it would be nice to know whats going on.

https://blog.mybb.com/2017/10/21/a-fresh-perspective/

Quote:further bridge the 1.x series toward MyBB 2, while updating it to be more usable and modern

We made our decision very clear, I think.
To be honest Im speechless.

This software is leading towards its grave.
(2017-10-31, 05:46 PM)devs Wrote: [ -> ]To be honest Im speechless.

This software is leading towards its grave.

What do you want us to do to make it more clear? We have this public poll, we have the blog post explaining the state of the project and our plans moving forward, we have public commits to the MyBB repo.... I guess I'll update the OP to point to the blog post Eric linked.
Tom: you made my day.... this blog post is "full of text with ABSOLUTELY no sense" = its chaotic. This only proves whats written in #67.
Btw:: you know what I want..... the best for MyBB..... pity as it seems we have 2 different definitions of "wishing the best"
Long time MyBB user here, I've been using the software since before it was even a stable 1.0. I remember when MyBB was seen as the vBulletin of the free forum world (and in ways it still is) but it's age is really showing as the devs pointed out so it needs a major overhaul. I really want to see some changes happen with MyBB in 2018. Next year needs to be about seeing some kind of change here.

I agree a full rewrite is needed but the current way isn't working. I feel we should move in a direction of upgrading 1.8 over time to become what 2.0 was originally going to be over a series of releases. I don't think the community can last waiting another year or more on waiting for full rewrite to get released without seeing the progress being made. We've been talking about 2.0 since 1.6 was released. So I support upgrading/rewriting sections over time. I think this way more progress can be made.

Drop the 1.x name altogether. 1.x has been around 15 years now, it's time to move on to better things but over a period of time.

I think a release based on the current code base with some modern upgrades should become 2.0. The reason the 1.x branch naming should be dropped is because it represents changes and with things like themes and plugins going break we might as well give it its own branch.

2.0 should be a visual transitional period for the software. Seeing changes happen is great for people who don't understand code. I can jump on Github all day but I don't understand what has been done or not. 2.0 should have mobile theme out the box thats for sure.

2.0 should be the first set of changes, example the template engine, new default mobile friendly theme, alerts etc

End 1.8 support within 6 months of the the release of 2.0 so the main focus is 2.x only going forward. This should give the team time to work out the bugs in the early 2.0.x releases. After each new release end support in 6 months for the prior release. This gives admins time to plan for the upgrade.

2.2 should address another major area

2.4 etc

These changes should be done by priority.

To the Dev team: Do you think with smaller targeted upgrades over time we can we can see a new release twice a year?

Once all the rewriting is completed it should be released as MyBB 3.0, again a new theme should be introduced as a way to show it's a new version. The ending goal should be all the 1.x code is gone, forum admins see frequent updates. Also a clear roadmap needs to made and at least monthly updates needed be posted so we know what's going on, no matter how small. If there isn't any changes to report at least tell us that. Give us something please. Right now it's a guessing game when it comes to knowing what state the software is in.

Communication is the key, this is something most of the major forum softwares lack. Let MyBB set a new standard in regards to this.

Also on the subject of plugins breaking with each release such as 2.2, 2.4 I personally don't care if that means we see the rewrite completed. If there is a roadmap plugin makers will already know this ahead of time.

How much of what's been done with 2.0 so far could be used as of now if we go in this direction? Again looking at the code I have no idea where it stands so if someone could chime in that would be great. What areas are near completed at this point?

I have one request from the dev team. Please keep the communication open, this was a great step forward in the right direction. I can tell you all have the same end goal in mind, a full rewrite. Lets see this team complete this task and move MyBB to the top spot again. I know you guys can do it Smile!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9