MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: 1.8.16 release is a disaster
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Seems like 1.8.16 release is a disaster.

Why not remove the download-link from the site, until things are "fixed" ?

1.8.16 release might just drive site-managers away from using MyBB .

Site managers TRUSTS the MyBB team to release a product that will NOT BREAK their site, and believe it or not, "lots " of site-managers  don't really read the forums before they "UPGRADE" ,  most don't have time either.

1.8.16 might just be the straw that br...................
The release wasn’t a disaster. Some of the bugs can only be found when people upgrade their boards with different settings. The team have tried to reach out to the community to have some help testing these pre release so we can identify any problems before they arise. We are currently reviewing our release procedures.

Regarding removing .16 from download, we don’t feel we should be erasing history. We are going to release .17 in a few days and add a note to the blog post of .16 regarding the issues with it.
I still wating for fix...
(2018-07-08, 12:35 PM)PT82 Wrote: [ -> ]I still wating for fix...

For what exactly? A hot fix should be released over the next few days. 99% of the issues have been fixed already.
Yes, all issues should have either merged PRs or pending PRs. We're aiming to create some packages today that can be tested and hopefully released very soon.
I'm just thinking/wondering, how many forum-masters "updated" their board , or/and how many New Forum masters downloaded 1.8.16 between July 04th, 2018 when 1.8.16 was released. and until a fixed version is released ( in a few days  Dodgy  ). installed it, and due to IT not WORKING, they WON'T return and just dump the software .
(2018-07-09, 02:29 AM)v_2 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm just thinking/wondering, how many forum-masters "updated" their board , or/and how many New Forum masters downloaded 1.8.16 between July 04th, 2018 when 1.8.16 was released. and until a fixed version is released ( in a few days  Dodgy  ). installed it, and due to IT not WORKING, they WON'T return and just dump the software .

Bugs happen, that is just how software goes. The team has done a great job by quickly taking action and fixing all the issues that have appeared and are releasing a fix as soon as possible.

If people don't read the forums before updating/installing they probably don't take their role too seriously as a webmaster anyway.
(2018-07-09, 02:29 AM)v_2 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm just thinking/wondering, how many forum-masters "updated" their board , or/and how many New Forum masters downloaded 1.8.16 between July 04th, 2018 when 1.8.16 was released. and until a fixed version is released ( in a few days  Dodgy  ). installed it, and due to IT not WORKING, they WON'T return and just dump the software .

If you're going to dump a board software because of a documented issue occurring, you probably shouldn't be using that software in the first place.
(2018-07-09, 02:51 AM)Eric J. Wrote: [ -> ]If people don't read the forums before updating/installing they probably don't take their role too seriously as a webmaster anyway.

That's a seriously flawed excuse.
The release has been up since July 4th, today is July 8. 

Re-read my post(s) ,  no-one says "bugs" don't exist, I said it's a bad idea to have such a BAD RELEASE still available for download, people "unaware" are still downloading it and installing it, this is  bad for marketing.

Is a web-master suppose to read every single post on community.mybb.com to find out EVERY SINGLE BUG/SECURITY that s/he needs to PATCH himself ? ( because I don't see all the "reported" bugs condensed into one  single-thread.)

Also, are you saying that the webmaster of community.mybb.com doesn't take his/her role too seriously ?..  because  he/she sure updated this site with the "buggy release". shouldn't he/she have "read the forums before updating" to 1.8.16 ?
My 2c worth, I've only started using MyBB since 1.8.13. And so far, there are always a few problems/bugs when upgrading MyBB. It's not great, but it is what it is, and as forum software goes, MyBB is still one of the best. And frankly, it's all because I'm using a custom theme. If I used the default theme then all is mostly good.

1.8.16 isn't a disaster in my books. All the issues are identified quickly and fixed within a day.

To run a forum well, IMO I think it's best for a forum master to know basic CSS, PHP, SQL and basic sys admin skills. Once you are competent in these areas then things will go easier when things goes wrong.

As always, it's always a very good idea to backup the DB before you upgrade. If you see a problem, roll back your database and use the old working MyBB release.

Better yet, do not update immediately. Wait a few days and see if anybody report problems first. Update only when you don't see anybody reporting major errors.
Pages: 1 2 3 4