MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Waiting is TORTURE!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Well, I personally cannot wait for 1.4, but I do realise that writing software takes time (I'm a coder too).

I feel though it would of been better if there was some kind of public beta test such as Public CVS access, a few RCs, or even some code documentation. That would of give mod writers the chance to write mods during the development period so that when the first stable version has been released then there would be a collection of mods that people could of install. Smile
Tikitiki's released a guide on some, not all, of the changes that need to be in your plugins.

Well, technically speaking PhpBB 2/3 is a standard. For one, it's probably the widest-used, free forum software to date. Because of that you flop if you're not above its' level.
Perhaps I should point out the painstakingly obvious...

MyBB is FREE

None of the MyBB Team gets paid for the support they give, or the developing they do. Chris has to pay with his own money to host the entire site, complete with all it's wonderful features, pay for the bandwidth it uses (which is a lot), and oversea the development of the entire project.

Most if not all the developers are in full time education or full time jobs, and yet they still manage to put time aside in their busy lives to contribute.

If this were a commercial product then I would agree, people should be agitated and annoyed; just like how people get when Microsoft announce delays to a new release or service pack. But this isn't a commercial product, it's free, and it doesn't have any obligations to release at specific dates.

MyBB 1.4 will be released when it is ready and when it is stable so hundreds of people don't have their forums break when they try to use them.
Lol, if you are so fed up with waiting for 1.4 go, and use PHPBB or SMF. :p Yeah i thought so.
Wheel-World Wrote:Lol, if you are so fed up with waiting for 1.4 go, and use PHPBB or SMF. :p Yeah i thought so.

Yes this is true and is the main reason I don't complain. And that whole free thing tooWink
True true... Toungue

but isn't it going to be finished up soon?!
MyBB is no where near as bad as phpBB3 is. No where near. Its a wonder phpBB is still alive. It took them 4 or 5 years to code it. Then we had like 1 and a half years of beta and RC testing before it finally came out. And it is still full of bugs and they haven't caught up to the times with 2 features:

1. Quick reply. They refuse to add it as standard and force people to use a MOD for it. SMF, vB, MyBB, IPB, AEF (i think) and many other forum softwares added it ages ago and it comes preinstalled. Their reason? It contributes to 'spam'.

2. Plugin installer. Yup all the softwares I mentioned above have it added as standard, but nooooo phpBB3 make you play with the raw code, making it 10000% more dangerous and most of the time you end up with many errors left, right, and centre.

So if you think MyBB is bad, just look at phpBB3. Just look. Their comparison page is highly biased and unfair. It took them 5 years to code BB3, which was actually meant to be 2.2 but they got too excited and it wasn't compatible.

So waiting 1 month is nothing when compared to how long phpBB3 took. They had to have it security audited, meaning that they ended up with RC's being released 2 days after the other and destroying templates and forums, you have to edit raw code yourself (and can be quite frustrating for people who know nothing about code and find the line they are looking for doesn't exist) and to top if all off, they can't be 100% sure with each security update they do, so it needs a release candidate itself.

Ok I am not trying to bag phpBB3 on its oppositions support board, but the people over here need to get a bit of perspective when they start jumping up and down about waiting 1 month for a release. BB3 had 5 betas and 8 RC's. Don't get me started on SMF...
MyBB has only had 1 BETA so far. MyBB don't have as many developers as phpBB and no where near the amount of people using it and finding bugs, but what we have here today is pretty remarkable when you have to consider they have a personal life and this all for free. Yes, FREE.

So before you bag the MyBB people for being late in delivering mybb, just remember how hard it must be, and when it does come, you will truly enjoy it.

Thanks for reading, and my rant/comment is over Smile
Lachlan
I was going to quote some posts again but somehow my post was deleted just now..... anyway..

It will be less trouble for Mybb team from the whole hungry people for new updates ( one of them is me ).... if the news about 1.4 is told like later when the team have done most of the stuffs and release like in 1 or 2 week, we would feel like waiting less time....and also the team will get rest from all these....
DragonLord Wrote:[..]if the news about 1.4 is told like later when the team have done most of the stuffs and release like in 1 or 2 week, we would feel like waiting less time....and also the team will get rest from all these....
If we did that, people might get the idea that we are not enthusiastic about the project, that we have lost interest, that there will be no new features implemented, or no hope of bug fixes.
This is not what we want to happen. Smile
rh1n0 Wrote:If we did that, people might get the idea that we are not enthusiastic about the project, that we have lost interest, that there will be no new features implemented, or no hope of bug fixes.
This is not what we want to happen. Smile

"^^..... point to be noted...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7