MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Market Share of MyBB?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Hello,

Does anyone know what MyBB's "market share" on the internet is? Like what percent of all forums online are MyBB? That would be cool to see all of the forum softwares compared by market share.

I am surprised I don't see more forums based on MyBB. I see a lot of VBulletin, IPB and PHPBB. SMF and MyBB not so much. That's really surprising because the most popular ones seem to be the paid ones.

BMR777
Expect a lot more of forums moving towards MyBB and other softwares. vB announced that from June 2, prices on their products will increase (Owned license now $180 and leased $100) so vB won't be cheaper than IPB anymore!

Long live MyBB Smile
$180 is a lot to pay for a piece of software. Windows can be had for less than that!
Wow, I better buy up some more vB licenses. Sad
MyBB could know if after the install they have some notifier or tracking system to how many installs have been made.
BMR777 Wrote:Hello,

Does anyone know what MyBB's "market share" on the internet is? Like what percent of all forums online are MyBB? That would be cool to see all of the forum softwares compared by market share.

I am surprised I don't see more forums based on MyBB. I see a lot of VBulletin, IPB and PHPBB. SMF and MyBB not so much. That's really surprising because the most popular ones seem to be the paid ones.

BMR777

MYBB is newer and not as well known as the other guys is the main reason. I highly suspect this will change once 1.4 is released. I am 100% certain that if more phpbb/IPB/SMF/vB users were aware of this software they would switch to it. Well those that know ANYTHING about BB software anyways. Most noob's dont know the difference and seeing how those like phpbb have a ton more exposure most Noobs will seek that out first as they dont know the difference anyways. Then you have some idiots ( not very bright people IMO ) who have issues over the stupid licenses because of hearsay etc and thus why they remain with phpbb. Yes i know that is strong words to be using but if you know anything about licenses/law then you will fully understand why i used such strong wording.

Oh and trust me i am not some fanboy either unlike a few. I see negatives here i have pointed them out as well as most who has seen my post here will tell you. In either case this IS the best of the best as far as free goes and is quickly gaining on the paid scripts. 1.4 will put mybb right up there with them guys. Could even be better but i cant honestly say yet till i have 1.4 on my server and see just how quick it is etc. My gut says 1.4 will blow both IPB and vB out of the water as far as speed goes. Guess we will see.
As said MyBB is the newest quality board out there. It takes time I mean phpbb is only so big because its been around so long. Same kind of goes for SMF(see more and more of these though).

vB won't hurt to much on the price change if you ask me. Their actually just kind of balancing out the weak dollar. Plus they also have a huge base of mods and users already. Although some may not take lightly to all the useless social features that most forums don't need or want. But it actually probably bring more people in with Face Book and MySpace still going strong.

Then also about market share its nearly impossible to tell. You would need stats from every forum software, custom boards, and well they have to be from relatively the same date as a lot of sites don't stay around long.
Lachlan Wrote:vB announced that from June 2, prices on their products will increase (Owned license now $180 and leased $100) so vB won't be cheaper than IPB anymore!

Long live MyBB Smile

Wow, looks like they kinda lowering VB user themself..... definite some of the VB users will come to Mybb.....
The reason vB increased their prices is because of inflation and the decrease of the US Dollar, as well as the Sterling.

Quite frankly, a $20/$15 increase isn't much in this day and age, they have people to pay, offices to pay on, equipment, etc.

Although nothing beats being free, they are a business and have expenses that need paid.

I doubt this change will have much of an impact on their user base.
Ryan Ashbrook Wrote:The reason vB increased their prices is because of inflation and the decrease of the US Dollar, as well as the Sterling.

Now that's a valid reason. Food, gas, and even electronics are sky rocketing in price while the U.S. dollar lowly sinks away. Where going to be worse then peso's. Toungue
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9