MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: The paperclip
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
(2008-11-11, 07:59 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: [ -> ]most of these people could not state a reason to keep it other than "it's already there"

hell we have horses what do we need cars for, horses work
Horses were replaced, not just simply removed.

The attachment icon - from my point of view - can't be replaced. It's either there or it isn't.
(2008-11-11, 07:59 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-11-11, 06:16 AM)rcpalace Wrote: [ -> ]46 people want the paper clip, 33 don't want it based on the poll. Paperclip FTW.

most of these people could not state a reason to keep it other than "it's already there"

Very valid point. Plus, there's only 2 options for getting rid of it, 3 for keeping it. 1/2 the voters probably couldn't find a medium so they figured they'd choose to keep it.
(2008-11-11, 08:14 AM)rh1n0 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-11-11, 07:59 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: [ -> ]most of these people could not state a reason to keep it other than "it's already there"

The attachment icon - from my point of view - can't be replaced. It's either there or it isn't.

or it could be improved, as has been suggested numerous times in this thread

(2008-11-11, 08:25 AM)t0m Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-11-11, 06:16 AM)rcpalace Wrote: [ -> ]46 people want the paper clip, 33 don't want it based on the poll. Paperclip FTW.

most of these people could not state a reason to keep it other than "it's already there"

Very valid point. Plus, there's only 2 options for getting rid of it, 3 for keeping it. 1/2 the voters probably couldn't find a medium so they figured they'd choose to keep it.

or the poll questions and answers are not serious in their tone, so the responses will not be serious either

as of right now, the paperclip is worthless to all but very niche uses -- "more useful as a plugin" as some mybb staff may put it! it either needs to be improved or removed entirely
(2008-11-11, 08:48 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-11-11, 08:14 AM)rh1n0 Wrote: [ -> ]The attachment icon - from my point of view - can't be replaced. It's either there or it isn't.
Where did I say that it won't be improved?

Nobody knows what's going to happen yet, we've got the discussion/results that we need so that we can make an informed decision further down the track when the time comes.
(2008-11-11, 08:14 AM)rh1n0 Wrote: [ -> ]

(2008-11-11, 08:25 AM)t0m Wrote: [ -> ]

or the poll questions and answers are not serious in their tone, so the responses will not be serious either

as of right now, the paperclip is worthless to all but very niche uses -- "more useful as a plugin" as some mybb staff may put it! it either needs to be improved or removed entirely

There were several good reasons cited for keeping it and not just for niche uses either.
(2008-11-11, 09:22 AM)rh1n0 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-11-11, 08:14 AM)rh1n0 Wrote: [ -> ]The attachment icon - from my point of view - can't be replaced. It's either there or it isn't.
Where did I say that it won't be improved?

robot horses?
No, please don't remove it. Users at my forums like it because they can see which threads already have photos or documents posted in them.
(2008-11-13, 07:14 AM)quacktacular Wrote: [ -> ]No, please don't remove it. Users at my forums like it because they can see which threads already have photos or documents posted in them.

What if the photos or documents aren't posted as attachments? :\
Typically they are posted as attachments. For example; on the home decorating forum I run, members post pictures of their rooms. Visiting users often want to see only threads with photos in them. So they can open up category > forum (decorating dilemmas in this case) and open a thread with the nice little paperclip beside it.

This is applicable to forums I frequent as well. Its easy to see which threads specifically have an attachment.

I can understand wanting to remove some things in the name of bloat, but the paperclip isn't useless to everybody. If enough people really hate it, can't we find a more fair solution? How about making in an option the Forum Display settings in the ACP..
(2008-11-13, 07:18 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-11-13, 07:14 AM)quacktacular Wrote: [ -> ]No, please don't remove it. Users at my forums like it because they can see which threads already have photos or documents posted in them.

What if the photos or documents aren't posted as attachments? :\

As said earlier in this thread a ton of stuff gets UPLOADED on my forums vs images that are hosted elsewhere.

Yes i can keep debating this as well. Why does it bother you soo much? Again why remove something that is usefull to alot of folks and takes up hardly any space.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11