MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Why MyBB?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Quote:I would still like to see a working plugin for cleaning up nested quotes.

Me too. I voted for this a long time ago:

http://ideas.mybboard.net/idea/disable-nested-quotes

It should seriously be a feature and would work a lot easier as one than a plugin.
(2008-11-13, 11:07 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:I would still like to see a working plugin for cleaning up nested quotes.

Me too. I voted for this a long time ago:

http://ideas.mybboard.net/idea/disable-nested-quotes

It should seriously be a feature and would work a lot easier as one than a plugin.

I quite like what rh1n0 does, sets all quotes as smaller text.
I wonder if he has a made a decision yet. Confused
(2008-11-15, 04:28 AM)NetSage Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder if he has a made a decision yet. Confused
I suffer from over analysis and indecision. In comparison to SMF, i think I'm sold on MyBB. The only thing I've had a problem with (and admittedly I didn't spend a lot of time looking at it) was the IP tools section. But I might not have done it correctly and need to relook at it.

But in the back of my head I'm wondering if my intentions are to eventually convert to either IPB or vB. And if that is a future intention, and if I think the site will be successful, active, and able to pay for itself (and maybe more)...should I maybe go ahead and BUY one of those two pieces of software.

So all that to say, no. I've not yet made a final decision. But I'm very encouraged by what I see here with MyBB. And the few times I've asked a question here it's been answered efficiently.
I won't lie I don't really use or know much about the IP tools in MyBB. But that is probably a place that it may be lacking.

But, that tool isn't needed by many forum admins to often so that may be why it's not as developed compared to SMF.

However I don't recommend just buying vB or IPB before you know where your forum is going no matter what forum you choose. As well it could end being a huge waste of not only time but then money also.
And I need to look at it again (the IP tools) but from the test installs and just a little playing with the IP stuff, SMF was standing a little taller in that one instance.

I think I have a firm idea for a forum. But you're right there's no guarantee. Some people say that forum users look to see what software someone is using to determine if the admins are serious about it or not. While that may be true in a few instances I don't believe that is the norm. Plus, I've seen some very active forums built on free stuff while I've seen some ghost towns based on vb or IPB.

But I know that IPB is about to release 3.0 before year's end. And vB is on 3.8 with 4.0 supposedly not too far (but who knows what that means?). So I dont' know how quickly there'd even be an converter for MyBB with it just having released 1.4 and these other guys making new ones as well.

As I said, I over think things. I should just jump in soon with both feet and choose ONE forum software to use. Then go nuts with making the community the best I can with a little luck and strategy mixed together.
My first Forum experience is with Mybb, i like Mybb very much. its simple for both Admin and the Users. my best wishes to Mybb team Smile Smile
MyBB = May Your Bulletin beat all Bulletin that's what I called it XD.
(2008-11-15, 05:54 AM)StateDOG Wrote: [ -> ]Some people say that forum users look to see what software someone is using to determine if the admins are serious about it or not.

People are morons.

On a more serious sidenode, unless your forum is a discussion forum for forum admins, or otherwise forum-tech oriented, most users probably won't be able to tell at all what kind of forum software you are using (few even know or care that a forum is software other than just the browser).

I never heard any user complain about the forum software employed, what users do care about is wether things are intuitive, easy to use, and just work. And that is actually MyBB strength, the other alternatives I tried (SMF, phpBB3, etc) were not as easy to use as MyBB and they did not just work either. True, MyBB has bugs as well, but the most annoying ones - garbling UTF-8 characters and hanging quick reply (although the latter never occured in my forum - are already fixed, and more bugs get fixed all the time, so with every version the forum gets better.
MyBB is by far the best

A lot of people say phpBB is better but, no offense to those people, but I think that its REDICOLOUS and they've obviously never used MyBB, because MyBB has all the features phpBB has plus more
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6