MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Why MyBB?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
I'd say to that, Thundermew, is Yes and No, Since, your not completely correct.
Quote:From my point of view, XHTML is stone age and HTML is the better solution.

Which is fine really. There is no major difference.

OMG you can use <br /> instead of <br>. Its no major difference. HTML 5 is being more rapidly developed than XHTML 2 so HTML is by no means phased out. The languages just co-exist.

I only use xHTML because it makes more sense to me to keep everything closed and well formed, and of course - it has an "x" in its name.

Regardless of whether you use HTML or xHTML, just use a strict doctype, that stops you from doing all the weird quirks (validly) anyway.

As to why I originially chose MyBB, I was directed to it by someone, when I didn't even know there were others. Fell in love. Fell out of love around 6 months later. Still use it occasionally as it is very solid and has a lot of features.
(2008-11-15, 01:31 PM)blueparukia Wrote: [ -> ]Regardless of whether you use HTML or xHTML, just use a strict doctype, that stops you from doing all the weird quirks (validly) anyway.

Yup, strict HTML is fine. That's what everyone recommends too, even people who are in the World Wide Web Consortium's XHTML Working Group http://www.dev-archive.net/articles/xhtm...mendations

But oh well. Dodgy Back to MyBB plugin development. SmileAngel
I am very new (2-3 weeks) to forum software, and I have ZERO PHP coding knowlege, since the last webpage I created was back in the 1990's Smile My programming skills (or lack thereof) consist of rudementary VBasic and DOS programming, and then a bit of raw HTML 1 Big Grin

So when I started playing with the forums, there was a big issue with usability and 'adminability' if you can make that into a word. Having no grasp of PHP, it was important to me that the forum software have a good Admin UI and was easily messed around with to both satisfy my need for tinkering, and simply to be able to do the things I wanted to do with them.

I installed what I had heard to be the two major contenders, phpBB3 & SMF2 and while playing with them I heard of MyBB1.4 and installed that too.

What I have against SMF and phpBB, and where MyBB wins in my opinion, are the permissions. The phpBB permissions are simply impossible to work with, and the SMF permissions are really not that much better. That's not to say that MyBB's take on permissions are flawless.. far from it actually, because there is a pretty big bug in the way it's done.. but they at least were written in human instead of CPU, and with quick community help I was able to see the problem and quickly learn to get around it.

Just last night, I finally deleted the SMF and phpBB forums off my server.
I'm sticking with MyBB. It is the best.
(2008-11-16, 01:20 PM)BizNiz Wrote: [ -> ]That's not to say that MyBB's take on permissions are flawless.. far from it actually, because there is a pretty big bug in the way it's done.. but they at least were written in human instead of CPU, and with quick community help I was able to see the problem and quickly learn to get around it.

What was the problem?
Ryan Gordon Wrote:What was the problem?

A "bug" is a bit of a strong and incorrect word. A "flaw" would be better. But I'll PM you so as to not send this thread too far off topic Smile
I would love to own a vBulletin forum but that is currently out of my reach for now. So we have to go free.

I had a lot of problems with PHPBB3, especially with installing modifications (and I really don't understand why features such as quick reply must require a modification, which is really absurb when end-users love them for its practicality). The permissions on PHPBB3 are hell to deal with too, now that I remember.

My next alternative is MyBB. Everything's looking good right now though. I think I might like it.
I started out using PhpBB2 myself and got tired of having to manually add every single modification, screwing up and having to go back or restore it all. It was a pain in the rump!

So I found SMF. SMF changed my life. I loved it until I started adding more mods and updates...then everytime I added a new theme or mod, I'd be flooded with errors. So much errors that I almost gave up forums.

Then MyBB and me found eachother and man it hasn't been any simpler. I have a vBulletin and an IP.Board just cause I wanted to see if they are any good. I like IP.B better than vB but MyBB is better than both of them combined IMO! AND ITS FREAKING FREE!!!

My review.
I like MyBB because it's quite beautiful and free Big Grin Big Grin
It may seem less errors than SMF
i am a vietnamese Blush
I will try to MyBB translated into English in the coming period Toungue
sorry for my english quite bad
Only what I see, mybb not run fast compared with phpBB or msf. Sad
Thank
(2008-11-17, 09:01 PM)sv8erman Wrote: [ -> ]I like MyBB because it's quite beautiful and free Big Grin Big Grin
It may seem less errors than SMF
i am a vietnamese Blush
I will try to MyBB translated into English in the coming period Toungue
sorry for my english quite bad
Only what I see, mybb not run fast compared with phpBB or msf. Sad
Thank

May wanna post a support topic on the speed issue because MYBB has run ALOT better then the others you mentioned ESPECIALLY phpbb on my servers. My guess is it is either your settings or host? This is one of the MAIN reasons i like MYBB.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6