MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Why MyBB?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Perhaps due to my server quite weak,
And it is time operation in the Admin CP, looks like Java Script is run not good
One thing I find it a little bit sad, MyBB no functional language settings in the Admin CP
Please please attention to the language factor in MyBB to develop strong worldwide
Big GrinBig Grin
p/s : sorry for my english bad Confused
(2008-11-18, 11:30 PM)sv8erman Wrote: [ -> ]One thing I find it a little bit sad, MyBB no functional language settings in the Admin CP
Please please attention to the language factor in MyBB to develop strong worldwide
Big GrinBig Grin
p/s : sorry for my english bad Confused

Language Manager?
Sorry for asking this here, I didn't want to open a new thread just for my view on (X)HTML.

I noticed that in Themes & Templates, you can change pretty much everything regarding (X)HTML output even including the doc type of the document (htmldoctype). So it seems that if I so desired, I could make a theme from scratch that is HTML and not XHTML? Especially since MyBB serves the page as text/html anyway.

Has anyone ever attempted this? Would I run into problems somewhere since MyBB expects things to be XHTML for something or has hardcoded XHTML hidden somewhere? Assuming I would not use any plugins that output XHTML of course, could I achieve valid HTML output?

seems to be hardcoded in some places

inc/functions.php:296:		$contents = str_replace("<html", "<html xml:lang=\"".$lang->settings['htmllang']."\" lang=\"".$lang->settings['htmllang']."\"", $contents);

so even if the template has only a simple <html> tag, it will be replaced with one that sports xml: attributes. would this $lang->settings etc. stuff work if it was in the template instead of hardcoded?
Not reading all the thread, but what's wrong with XHTML? I read the article, but it's mostly garbage. For one, it contradicts itself - it says that most browsers will fall back by rendering XHTML as HTML, and then says that HTML is somehow more compliant and renders better than XHTML. How can that be the case if XHTML is being rendered as HTML?

Also, XHTML is basically a stricter version of HTML, meaning that if something validates against XHTML, it will also against HTML - with the exception of the auto-closing tags shorthand (ie <br />), which every single browser out there handles perfectly anyway.
W3's own site is in XHTML - if it says that's the standard to use, then I'll certainly be following it.

Not to mention all the other major forum systems use XHTML. Everyone's moving to XHTML now - regardless of whether you like it or not...
Riiight. Sorry I even asked. Rolleyes
(2008-11-21, 08:26 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry for asking this here, I didn't want to open a new thread just for my view on (X)HTML.

I noticed that in Themes & Templates, you can change pretty much everything regarding (X)HTML output even including the doc type of the document (htmldoctype). So it seems that if I so desired, I could make a theme from scratch that is HTML and not XHTML? Especially since MyBB serves the page as text/html anyway.

Has anyone ever attempted this? Would I run into problems somewhere since MyBB expects things to be XHTML for something or has hardcoded XHTML hidden somewhere? Assuming I would not use any plugins that output XHTML of course, could I achieve valid HTML output?

seems to be hardcoded in some places

inc/functions.php:296:		$contents = str_replace("<html", "<html xml:lang=\"".$lang->settings['htmllang']."\" lang=\"".$lang->settings['htmllang']."\"", $contents);

so even if the template has only a simple <html> tag, it will be replaced with one that sports xml: attributes. would this $lang->settings etc. stuff work if it was in the template instead of hardcoded?

Yea, you can use $lang in the templates - however if you change <html lang="{$lang->settings['htmllang']}"> in the template it would change it to <html xml:lang="{$lang->settings['htmllang']}" lang="{$lang->settings['htmllang']}" lang="{$lang->settings['htmllang']}"
(2008-11-22, 09:33 AM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]Riiight. Sorry I even asked. Rolleyes

sorry the world doesn't conform to your archaic, ill-informed views buddy
(2008-11-15, 11:33 AM)Thundermew Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB is by far the best

A lot of people say phpBB is better but, no offense to those people, but I think that its REDICOLOUS and they've obviously never used MyBB, because MyBB has all the features phpBB has plus more

Another thing about phpBB3 is the permissions system, it's overkill and way to complicated for nothing.

Gene
Just a FYI...I went with MyBB.

Still getting it off the ground though. But like what I'm seeing.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6