MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Will Mybb ever become too big?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
(2009-06-01, 04:59 PM)-Prowler- Wrote: [ -> ]Improve what we have, maybe release some "Official" add-on's, don't get me wrong what we have is great but y can't mybb release some add-ons to get what we want if not everyone is in need of it?
That's just my 2 cents.

They won't do "Offical addons. Tomm though is working on his awesome Mystuff, and Matt recently released like 3 plugins. and i know there are many more from the team. the fact they want credit is up to them
If the feature is worthy of mybb creating it as an addon then it would be worthy enough to be built into the core. I think they are busy enough bug fixes and coding new versions. Give them some slack please.
(2009-06-03, 12:44 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]If the feature is worthy of mybb creating it as an addon then it would be worthy enough to be built into the core. I think they are busy enough bug fixes and coding new versions. Give them some slack please.

I'm talking anytime soon I am talking into the future of mybb.

Take VB for example. VB is trying to be everything in one, some of which is not needed by a lot of sites.

The great thing about add-on's is that you only need to install what you need, this way your not flooded, your forums look good, and all runs the way the admin wants.

so instead of mybb turning down some dark road and trying to do everything(like VB) I would prefer to see more add-on's rather than core features.
Yes prowler but the actual mybb staff is very unlikely to do addons and understandably so.

VB has a large paid staff and you can't compare them in that way but VB doesn't have official addons at this time. IPB does though. VBseo and other paid plugins are third party.
And i don't expect them to mybb is great the way it is now,

all I am saying is in the future if mybb goes to add some features that may not be necessary to everyone, would it not just be easier to make an "official" add-on?
The add-ons the staff usually make is for things they need for personal projects. Or, a feature they like but the team as a whole didn't think was needed any more Toungue.

I think mybb is fine with the path it's on. The only thing I would love to see is someone take it and build a cms around it. Not, really because I need or want it but because it would bring so many people to Mybb. And, hopefully with that new increase more skillful people like Labrocca or Ryan.
What is the difference between an official plugin and an option for a feature in the Admin CP? Confused
Not much is different, in a lot of way that's even better.

But I think a menu (like the plug-in menu or even the plug-in menu itself)should be used to install/activate things that arn't needed all the time, so that your not clouding up your configuration with things you will never use.
Third party plug-ins "can" be risky and create more problems for software, tech support, forum admins etc... Eliminating these is proper for VB I believe. They are a paid software and you should get a well coded, properly tested product right off and not have to risk your forum crashing, having links or, spam ads, from a plugin creator etc... I'm sorry, I agree with VB's approach to this. It also fits in their business model in other ways. Which, MYBB is not a business. Protecting a business is very important. As important as protecting free GPL software.

Labrocca, you're a good man Charlie Brown

Regards
Quote:But I think a menu (like the plug-in menu or even the plug-in menu itself)should be used to install/activate things that arn't needed all the time

Plugins can already be built to deactivate.

Quote:so that your not clouding up your configuration with things you will never use.

Plugins do that now.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10