MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Will Mybb ever become too big?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
(2009-06-03, 03:50 AM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]I can't speak for other developers obviously, but when I see a suggestion and I don't think it will be used by a vast majority of users, then there's no point in including it in the core.

Just including it to have it as an option for someone who might use it will lead to the situation vBulletin is in now. Crap software. And then even more cute kittens will die... Sad

As said above no dissagreements at all where Vb is concerned which i had hoped i made clear. Toungue

Also if alot of that stuff was soo unpopular i seriously doubt as many people would be using those softwares even vB. Wink You are basically assuming and i believe assuming wrong as evidenced by how popular vB and the like is.

It however might help to know exactly what we are discussing as to what should or shouldnt be added.Toungue My example was things in IPB which doesnt have the issues vB has and as well dont have some of the other features vB has as well. I think vB has gone a bit too far with the Social crap. My main thing is getting all the other stuff added and maybe IF Some Social stuff MUST BE ADDED then follow what IPB ( 2.3+ ) has done which isnt too overboard but thats it. Then the rest of the way could be used for improving the rest of the software. I want MYBB to stay focused on FORUM software and not turn into the social crap and thus following vB either. I mean eventually alot of the stuff will be added so why not just get that out of the way and add it and then ( unless something major develops) MYBB can stay focused on improving things under the hood or whatever?

A list of most commonly used things that should be included. And yes i know a bit of this will be added to 1.6/2.0
1. Paid subscriptions.
2. That soft delete
3. Users browsing thread..Which i know is being added.
4. Rules page
5. Instead of how IPB does it MYBB could make it so the buddly list on profile can be of more use by allowing profile comments by buddies alone. Also display users ( maybe 10?? ) who have visited a users profile. I have found that it makes it easier to spot spammers as well. Talking about those who come from a competing site and spam your forums PM boxes. IPB has this and thus how i have done that.

6. Thread display revamp by removing a number of buttons ( pm/user posts etc ) and just adding that to a dropdown menu from the posters name/nic in post bit. Same thing with the thread tools on top right of thread and forum display for that matter.

7. Something that may sound totally off the wall BUT HAS NEVER been done is to include users who visited the past 24hrs and ofcourse make it a option to disable. This would be unique to MYBB. Wink

8. Ability to do MYBB updates via ACP IF possible. And or the ability to upload/install themes/plugins directly to ACP from mybb or whatever.

9. Which i know already is getting a revamp is a new base theme. My hope is that the messy look is cleaned up by moving the users browsing forum to the bottom and enclosing it and thus cleaner looking. never understood why it is on top as most visitors come for the topics/thread list and not to just see who is also browsing. mainly staff use that thing and thus why i believe it would be better served on the bottom. Same with the users browsing thread. I would also make it so the subforums ( in forum display ) can as well collapse. Opinions may very on this but i think everything ( link wise ) looks better underlined and when hoovering not underlined. basically the other way around of what we currently have.

10. A better editor and one that can be edited ( text/background color for example ) via acp vs having to edit the file.

11. If it was me the re-direct pages ( that one that tell's you to wait or whatever after making a post ) could be dropped. Is there a reason why they are there though? Yes i know you can turn this off via acp.

12. Re-Captcha. YES I know MYBB has very little problems with spam bots but this is mainly just to keep ahead of that. Toungue

13. A better/easier way to edit the registration agreement via ACP. Yes i know it can be done by editing the template as i have done that already. Toungue

14. Display users latest Posts/Threads in profile. Option to view one or the other. Hate saying this but see IPB 2.3+ for a good example of what i am talking about. Again if admin doesnt want it then add the ability to disable.

15. Jazz up the welcome back menu a bit. See Justins Afresh series themes for example. Maybe add a quick dropdown search option.

16. A more personal one. Toungue Ability to turn off and or even get rid of thread rating on forum display. Would rather see thread starter nics in that column and or have one of thier own. In threads i would instead use a thank you type system vs rating.

17. Is it possible to run two sets of smilies? Basically would help out those who use BOTH light and dark themes. This however as well i suppose could make a good plugin as well. Something that i dont believe exists here.

18. Anything that relates to moderation. See IPB/vB or whatever.

19. Bring back the ability to run IP checks. Again anything moderation related i feel should be added by default and thus not a plugin.

20. Again moderation related. Make it so those who wanna set thier forums to admin approval see those who validated the email addy's. Basically the system would as well tell admins in acp ( where it shows new users ) of when a user has or has not replied to the email sent to the new registered user. Again hate saying this but see IPB for a perfect example if you are not sure.

21. User location in postbit.

Thats basically the stuff that should be included except the one i marked personal or asked if it could even be done such as the smilies. Toungue
Not asking for the sun. I may have missed something which others can mention i suppose. Still leaves plenty of things for Plugin authors to do as well. This doesnt mean as well dropping other features. Wink

On a somewhat related note. The Portal.
I personally like the Portal AS IS but i guess to help most others make it easier to do/add stuff to it and add the poll options etc. Reason i like it as is is because i have been able to achieve what i like in the portal in current form. I basically added a few blocks and changed other things. Maybe have a way so you can make it your actual homepage? Thus when you go to it you get www.yoursite.com instead of www.yoursite.com/bb/portal or whatever. This btw is one of those things that really should be pushed harder as there is soo much you can do with the portal especially if you use more then one theme such as i have. One of the most under rated features. IMO I'LL never go back to using another CMS ever again. For example... With the Portal it gets updated when the forum does ( Mybb security updates etc ) unlike the other CMS which always must be updated as well. A ton of other benifits as well.

Question to all especially Plugin authors. Why has nobody done a Blog system and or a gallery for just MYBB? Sorta like IPB has and thus a decent one? IF i have missed this somewhere then please point it out.

Sorry for the long post. Just trying to be clear is all. Smile
(2009-06-03, 05:00 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:always comes up with some excuse/reason as to why this or that feature shouldnt be added

Ugh...

Quote:And no i am not saying to add everything under the sun.

Yes you are saying that. Everything can't be added and it's the discretion of developers what's important and what direction they want the software to take.

I have always told people that ideas are only good if they can be implemented. Does anyone really think that Mybb team can take on more than it already has? I wish every single one of my plugins were a core feature. Doesn't mean that mybb should do it.

Even heavily developed software like Vb and IPB have addons and plugins seperate from the base. That's just how it is.

Quote:All i am saying is why not actually be the FREE one that gives people something equall to one of the paid scripts for a change?

So you expect the small unpaid staff of mybb to be equal to the commercial packages?

I think it's time you try your hand at development. I would love to see you do even 1/10 of what mybb has accomplished.

Quote:BUT i would love to know why that despite having the ability to do it

And you can count to 1 million one digit at a time. You have that ability. Should you do it? Jeez.

Very easy and expected for you to say being a plugin developer. Typically it is ALWAYS the Plugin/mod authors who are against adding stuff.

And yes i KNOW IPB/vB has addons/Mods/Plugins. Where did i say that all should be in the core and no addons? I didnt did i? Nope. Relax dude. Smile

Anyways see my last post before this. As said there would still be plenty for you guys to do. I see nothing wrong with adding the stuff i mentioned and or why it cannot be done. The idea is to make MYBB bigger and better which again i am nearly certain will happen if what i suggest is done. Again i see no reason why MYBB should continue to follow the other free scripts with holding stuff back that the paid scripts offer as BASE FEATURES ALREADY INCLUDED in the software unless it truely affects the performance which again see vB. Again not saying to add all the addons as well those scripts use. sheesh even i know that would be overkill. Smile
A lot of what you are suggesting is either being in the process of being added or is completely superfluous ...

Quote:6. Thread display revamp by removing a number of buttons ( pm/user posts etc ) and just adding that to a dropdown menu from the posters name/nic in post bit. Same thing with the thread tools on top right of thread and forum display for that matter.

Please, no. I hate this crap. The current design works fine and I only have to click once, and it's easy for me to see what I'm looking for. Plus, there's plenty of space for those buttons, so it's best not to waste it.

Quote:7. Something that may sound totally off the wall BUT HAS NEVER been done is to include users who visited the past 24hrs and ofcourse make it a option to disable. This would be unique to MYBB.

There are multiple plugins that have this functionality already. I don't quite see the draw of making it a core feature. The MyBB team has better things to do.

Quote:11. If it was me the re-direct pages ( that one that tell's you to wait or whatever after making a post ) could be dropped. Is there a reason why they are there though? Yes i know you can turn this off via acp.

I agree that I don't see the point, but they're disabled quite easily, so I don't see the big deal.

Quote:13. A better/easier way to edit the registration agreement via ACP. Yes i know it can be done by editing the template as i have done that already.

You can edit it in the language files. The language files are all easily editable via the Admin CP.

Quote:4. Rules page

You can do this with help documents, or custom page plugins, or threads, or announcements ... frankly I would prefer to see a more elegant way of creating standalone pages than a specific rules page. But as it is, you can very easily do this.

Quote:14. Display users latest Posts/Threads in profile. Option to view one or the other. Hate saying this but see IPB 2.3+ for a good example of what i am talking about. Again if admin doesnt want it then add the ability to disable.

Plugin exists already. I wouldn't mind if it was a core feature, but again, this functionality is already available (for free).

Quote:21. User location in postbit.

Custom profile fields, flag plugins ...

Quote:Question to all especially Plugin authors. Why has nobody done a Blog system and or a gallery for just MYBB? Sorta like IPB has and thus a decent one? IF i have missed this somewhere then please point it out.

These do already exist, and Tomm M is working on MyNetwork.

Quote:Very easy and expected for you to say being a plugin developer. Typically it is ALWAYS the Plugin/mod authors who are against adding stuff.

Labrocca and many other plugin developers have encourage their features to become part of the core. They will always find something else to work on, because MyBB will never be able to include everything. So please stop trotting out this tired talking point.

Quote:The idea is to make MYBB bigger and better which again i am nearly certain will happen if what i suggest is done.

Bigger is not necessarily better. There are many things that need to be refined before they need to start worrying about including features that already exist as plugins.

Quote:Again i see no reason why MYBB should continue to follow the other free scripts with holding stuff back that the paid scripts offer as BASE FEATURES ALREADY INCLUDED in the software unless it truely affects the performance which again see vB.

Because they are unpaid developers doing what needs to be done with the time they can afford to put towards the project. This is not their job. You can suggest, but in the end it's really stupid to complain about stuff like this when you're not paying for the software and evidently have little constructive to add other than "BE MORE LIKE PAID SOFTWARE". If you want that software, suck it up and buy it already.
mybb pawns vb in performance. Just thought I would add my 2 cents. Toungue
(2009-06-03, 07:20 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: [ -> ]If you want that software, suck it up and buy it already.

Toungue ... or he can start paying us equivalant salaries. Shy
(2009-06-03, 11:44 AM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-06-03, 07:20 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: [ -> ]If you want that software, suck it up and buy it already.

Toungue ... or he can start paying us equivalant salaries. Shy

hahahahhaha prowler should pay that.

Though, us who advert it should be our own right?
This Topic seems to of turned into one of them VB vs MYBB etc.

On topic maybe -.-

I think mybb will stay at a good level as most people today have to pay for crap i do not know why lol.
(2009-06-03, 04:42 AM)Firestryke31 Wrote: [ -> ]Basically, they can be worked on separately from the core, and updated separately from the core.

Like normal plugins? Why is a big deal if one person or set of persons program something over another person or set of persons?
Because with normal plugins, you can choose not to install either one and have one less thing that needs to be updated even though you never use it.

Also, I (personally) am far more inclined to use a plugin from the original developers because they usually know the system they're extending better and so offer better integration.
(2009-06-03, 03:40 PM)Firestryke31 Wrote: [ -> ]Because with normal plugins, you can choose not to install either one and have one less thing that needs to be updated even though you never use it.

Not sure what that was a response to.

(2009-06-03, 03:40 PM)Firestryke31 Wrote: [ -> ]Also, I (personally) am far more inclined to use a plugin from the original developers because they usually know the system they're extending better and so offer better integration.

Your judgment is unfair to all of those who do write good plugins and aren't developers of MyBB.
(2009-06-03, 03:40 PM)Firestryke31 Wrote: [ -> ]Also, I (personally) am far more inclined to use a plugin from the original developers because they usually know the system they're extending better and so offer better integration.

Even if the integration up to the standards you would like you can easily disable it. I mean the great thing of the plugin system is not only is it easy to add things but just as easy to remove them(well should be but I have had a few that don't deactivate properly).

Then to those asking for a lot of changes. First lets compare MyBB on a time line to these other scripts. I'm sure you will see MyBB has done a lot more than just about everyone since it was created.

Then stop using IPB and vB as examples for every huge feature that you want. As well the bigger the less likely your going to see it developed into the mybb core. As well that just means a lot more lines that staff has to worry about. Not, to mention the developers team isn't even that big and only do it in their free time.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10