MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Will Mybb ever become too big?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
(2009-06-03, 07:20 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: [ -> ]A lot of what you are suggesting is either being in the process of being added or is completely superfluous ...

Quote:6. Thread display revamp by removing a number of buttons ( pm/user posts etc ) and just adding that to a dropdown menu from the posters name/nic in post bit. Same thing with the thread tools on top right of thread and forum display for that matter.

Please, no. I hate this crap. The current design works fine and I only have to click once, and it's easy for me to see what I'm looking for. Plus, there's plenty of space for those buttons, so it's best not to waste it.

Quote:7. Something that may sound totally off the wall BUT HAS NEVER been done is to include users who visited the past 24hrs and ofcourse make it a option to disable. This would be unique to MYBB.

There are multiple plugins that have this functionality already. I don't quite see the draw of making it a core feature. The MyBB team has better things to do.

Quote:11. If it was me the re-direct pages ( that one that tell's you to wait or whatever after making a post ) could be dropped. Is there a reason why they are there though? Yes i know you can turn this off via acp.

I agree that I don't see the point, but they're disabled quite easily, so I don't see the big deal.

Quote:13. A better/easier way to edit the registration agreement via ACP. Yes i know it can be done by editing the template as i have done that already.

You can edit it in the language files. The language files are all easily editable via the Admin CP.

Quote:4. Rules page

You can do this with help documents, or custom page plugins, or threads, or announcements ... frankly I would prefer to see a more elegant way of creating standalone pages than a specific rules page. But as it is, you can very easily do this.

Quote:14. Display users latest Posts/Threads in profile. Option to view one or the other. Hate saying this but see IPB 2.3+ for a good example of what i am talking about. Again if admin doesnt want it then add the ability to disable.

Plugin exists already. I wouldn't mind if it was a core feature, but again, this functionality is already available (for free).

Quote:21. User location in postbit.

Custom profile fields, flag plugins ...

Quote:Question to all especially Plugin authors. Why has nobody done a Blog system and or a gallery for just MYBB? Sorta like IPB has and thus a decent one? IF i have missed this somewhere then please point it out.

These do already exist, and Tomm M is working on MyNetwork.

Quote:Very easy and expected for you to say being a plugin developer. Typically it is ALWAYS the Plugin/mod authors who are against adding stuff.

Labrocca and many other plugin developers have encourage their features to become part of the core. They will always find something else to work on, because MyBB will never be able to include everything. So please stop trotting out this tired talking point.

Quote:The idea is to make MYBB bigger and better which again i am nearly certain will happen if what i suggest is done.

Bigger is not necessarily better. There are many things that need to be refined before they need to start worrying about including features that already exist as plugins.

Quote:Again i see no reason why MYBB should continue to follow the other free scripts with holding stuff back that the paid scripts offer as BASE FEATURES ALREADY INCLUDED in the software unless it truely affects the performance which again see vB.

Because they are unpaid developers doing what needs to be done with the time they can afford to put towards the project. This is not their job. You can suggest, but in the end it's really stupid to complain about stuff like this when you're not paying for the software and evidently have little constructive to add other than "BE MORE LIKE PAID SOFTWARE". If you want that software, suck it up and buy it already.

1. I ALREADY DO Have a current up to date IPB forum. So lets not even go there about sucking it up. I would personally rather have it here though and this has to do with how things are already done here. Just cant yet though because of a few missing things that i CANNOT get here. I am near certain there is MANY more in my situation. Just look at the other replies here AND elsewhere for that matter as to why some have not switched. People LOVE this project but it is missing a few essentials which i pointed out. Sorry but you are in the very small minority who feel otherwise. Trust me a few of the things i mentioned are not for me ( dont need or can do it myself ) so it is not about me and thus it shouldnt be about you and or the few as well. Thats being selfish to the project / majority as a whole. Unlike a few here i try my best not to assume and base alot of what i say from what i have read from here and elsewhere. As said i already have a current up to date IPB as it is and thus no sweat off my back if i keep it. So please stop assuming this is about me or about me needing to suck it up and buy it because i HAVE.

2. About what needs to be refined before adding things. Thats a cop out because it has ALREADY BEEN done. See IPB AND or even a MYBB forum running a number of these things that are already in plugin form. ALL that is waiting is for it to be added to the core. This argument makes no sense at all beings that it has been done already. All they gotta do is add in the code ( which we already know works in plugin form ) for the feature. Them being paid has zero to do with it and again is terrible reasoning as to why something shouldnt be added UNLESS it causes massive issues with the software which i am sure they would let all know if that is ever the case. . They knew what they were getting into when this project was started. All appreciate ( i know i do ) what they do. Hopefully i am not upsetting them as i honestly am not trying to. Just giving my FEEDBACK is all. Smile

3. If Labrocca and the rest were encouraging then he would have NOT have dissagreed and this ALWAYS happens no matter what it is with a FEW EXCEPTIONS. One look at the suggestions forum says it all. heck look at this thread. Him and the others want MYBB to hold back. Will give him and the rest a longer life with thier plugins. Nice try though at suggesting otherwise. Smile Sorry but that is terrioble reasoning to hold back stuff. To try and suggest otherwise is just beyond words.

4. The User Location should come standard in any system. Would perhaps even end alot of problems even here with people from elsewhere outside the UK/USA/Non English speaking countries. See where they are from then maybe perhaps someone from the same area will see it and be able to help out quicker.

5. The Online today thing was merely a suggestion as nobody else ( Major bbs ) has done this. Basically thinking of things to do ( MYBB ) thats different then the rest that would probably be popular as i believe this is one of the more popular plugins. Toungue

6. The rule page should have it's own page or whatever in ACP quick access to edit so people dont have to mess with the Lang or any other file. Point is avoiding messing with the files or as i did via the templates. Did you know you can do it that way as well? Wink I do agree about doing it a more elegant way.

7. YOU might hate it but MOST others do not as far as the thread display/post bit and that stuff goes. Not to mention it is more modern and a bit easier on the themers but this applies as well to the rotten Thread rating on forum display. Why a thank you type thing i think would work better. Not a single person has yet to use the thread rating system on my site anyways. Almost certain a thank you type system would get more use.

8. As said if people dont want this or that there is ALREADY plenty of other free systems to choose from who do that. The majority of us dont have that option and so yeah it would be nice to have one. heck ALL of them thats free do that holding back. Again i dont see why MYBB should follow the same development style ( I KNOW they have kept well ahead ) as PHPB/SMF etc with holding features back for some lame reason which yes in a number of cases the reasons given are lame. Oh my one person might not use it, or this developer doesnt like it because they just dont like it ( supposed to be about all and not just one and thus why i say that ) or oh it may screw up the performance knowing full well it hasnt caused one in plugin form and there is systems that use it and dont have issues. And YES that is following the other free ones as this is exactly what those other free systems do with holding stuff back for lame and in some cases stupid reasons and for that see PHPBB. One would like to think that all would wanna improve and be the best be it paid or free. Sorry but holding things back that is easy to add or holding back because the paid guys have it is not trying to be the best that you can be.] I GREATLY APPRECIATE WHAT MYBB HAS DONE and said so many times. And YES they have done a awesome job and not held back for the most part. Basically suggesting that it gets avoided. All i wanna see them do is take it to the next level as they are the ones who i believe can do it and do it right for a change unlike the others INCLUDING the paid guys who are taking thier focus off of the forum aspect and going with that social crap etc. Sorry but IPB3.0/Next vB ( 4.0 ) dont even look like a forum system anymore and so yeah you are correct in assuming i wanna get away from them as quick as possible as many others are now starting to do. MYBB is the next best alternative but needs a little work and as said i believe the stuff i mentioned would get the job done for most of those looking to migrate over. It is not asking for the sun but basically most of the essentials. Smile
(2009-06-03, 09:38 PM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-06-03, 03:40 PM)Firestryke31 Wrote: [ -> ]Because with normal plugins, you can choose not to install either one and have one less thing that needs to be updated even though you never use it.

Not sure what that was a response to.

(2009-06-03, 03:40 PM)Firestryke31 Wrote: [ -> ]Also, I (personally) am far more inclined to use a plugin from the original developers because they usually know the system they're extending better and so offer better integration.

Your judgment is unfair to all of those who do write good plugins and aren't developers of MyBB.

I agree about that being a unfair comment but you have to remember the day and age we live in. I dont think it was meant as a slight towards the Plugin authors here. heck i admit i feel alot more comfortable downloading your plugins vs someone who is not a part of the team. That's natural. However the developers shouldnt have to carry the load either. IMO Plus if something like that was even tried it would make it harder for you guys to spot decent new talent who may make a good team member here.
Anyways as you said there is a few good plugin authors here. See Labrocca, Lex, Crackter and a number of others. I think people need to keep in mind that all of the plugins are checked as well before they ever make it to the main forum/myb mods site. Wink
tl;dr Wrote:TOO DAMN LONG, DIDN'T READ

Now, I believe about 90% of these posts can be split off into this nice little forum called Suggestions And Feedback. Rather than suggesting everything that everyone else has developed already, suggest something unique. Everyone knows that no one wants to pay $5 to earn $10 or even $1000. We all want a lightweight, free, awesome BB that owns all other BBs, but it can't happen tomorrow, the next day, or even within the next few years.

Think about what you ladies and gentlemen are posting. Frankly, it looks to me like we're all just Copy/Pasting everything from here, and here, which is obviously something you shouldn't do. I don't think MyBB is concerned with adding this, that and the next thing, because most of the time, a lot of people won't use the feature, or someone just won't install a plugin to solve their issue; it has to be hand delivered to them with a bow and ribbon on it.

And, just because labrocca is a commercial plugin developer, it doesn't mean he wants MyBB to swim in the same pond while he collects money. You all [should] know he donates back to the MyBB project.

If you want a commercial BB's features in a free BB, expect to give, or at least wait a little.
^^^^to add to that you can even do a post exchange with mybbcentral heck its only $5.00 USD for a year! if you paid $8.99 for a domain you might as well spend 5 bucks for plugins.

He's definitely not holding back for money.
(2009-06-04, 02:01 AM)-Prowler- Wrote: [ -> ]^^^^to add to that you can even do a post exchange with mybbcentral heck its only $5.00 USD for a year! if you paid $8.99 for a domain you might as well spend 5 bucks for plugins.

He's definitely not holding back for money.

Some people only pay 1.99 or nothing. they post for domains.
then do a post exchange, there's a multitude of ways to obtain plug-ins (legally of course)
Why is paid plugins now being mentioned? Who said anything about them?
(2009-06-04, 02:32 AM)HarryWx Wrote: [ -> ]Why is paid plugins now being mentioned? Who said anything about them?

Was wondering the same thing. Confused
I'm way to lazy to quote its getting late XD

someone mentioned some plug-in developers conspiracy to hold back from releasing to the core for their own profit.

which is obviously not the case.
(2009-06-03, 09:38 PM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-06-03, 03:40 PM)Firestryke31 Wrote: [ -> ]Also, I (personally) am far more inclined to use a plugin from the original developers because they usually know the system they're extending better and so offer better integration.

Your judgment is unfair to all of those who do write good plugins and aren't developers of MyBB.

I never said I would refuse to install a plugin written by someone not by the developers, I just meant that, given the choice between two similar, unreviewed plugins, with one being the official plugin and the other not, I'd choose the official one.

The point I'm getting at is that by having official plugins, you can take the time to develop this "bloat" people seem to want without forcing everyone to use it.
(2009-06-04, 03:00 AM)Firestryke31 Wrote: [ -> ]The point I'm getting at is that by having official plugins, you can take the time to develop this "bloat" people seem to want without forcing everyone to use it.

Was this not my first argument? though I think it might be easier to include it in the core and simply have a menu to turn it off(much like the plug-in menu, or even using the plug-in menu itself).
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10