MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Will Mybb ever become too big?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
But then updates to the "plugin" are propagated to everyone, even those that don't use them. Also, people would have to download them whether they want to or not. I'd prefer having it the way it is now, but with the option to download the "bloat" features I want and leave out the ones I don't.

Heck, with "official" plugins, if the MyBB developers don't want to "waste" their effort on these things, they could take the popular plugins written by people like Labrocca (this is just an example, and other plugin developers can have their plugins selected) and maintain them due to their popularity (obviously, they'd need the creator's permission first).
(2009-06-04, 03:00 AM)Firestryke31 Wrote: [ -> ]The point I'm getting at is that by having official plugins, you can take the time to develop this "bloat" people seem to want without forcing everyone to use it.

To be frank, I do not want to develop and maintain official "bloat". I'm not interested in holding a 100% market share on MyBB plugins. I'm sure the rest of the staff share my point of view. There's a reason that plugin developers and core developers are separate. My job is to make MyBB an awesome product, which doesn't include having to take care of a thousand other plugins as well.

I do this because I find developing a forum software interesting. It motivates me to improve MyBB as long as it is within certain boundaries. If you remove the boundaries by having endless combination's of plugins you loose the will to improve/refine what you've already got, and get lost in mucking around with hundreds of thousands other half-assed implemented ideas.
(2009-06-04, 03:00 AM)Firestryke31 Wrote: [ -> ]The point I'm getting at is that by having official plugins, you can take the time to develop this "bloat" people seem to want without forcing everyone to use it.

People only want it because the 'big guys' have it.
(2009-06-04, 07:34 PM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]

People only want it because the 'big guys' have it.

Running a IPB forum yourself you should know better then that. To say it is just about that couldnt be further from the truth.
A lot of requested MyBB features are from other forum softwares. Think about it; if they didn't make it happen, I doubt anyone would have even brought the idea into consideration. Not saying this applies to everything, but it certainly crosses my mind a lot. Especially when the quote 'because vb has it' comes into play.
Quote:A lot of requested MyBB features are from other forum softwares.

And a lot of people like Mybb because it removes the unneeded features that are in other forum software. It's a two way street. Let Mybb team develop Mybb to it's best potential. The people that make plugins are seperate independent entities and that's always going to be true. All this nonsense about "offcial plugins" is really laughable considering the time restraints and the current pay scale of the Mybb Team.

How did my thread become so derailed. Maybe it's time I delete it.
(2009-06-05, 10:26 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe it's time I delete it.
I guess you meant to "close" it, not "delete" it. There are some useful commentaries involved. You shouldn't be upset by some off-point comments. Derailing is inevitable in any human discourse.Undecided

Regards
Hmm...yeah seems the ability to delete your own threads has been removed.
I like MyBB as it is so lightweight and we can add what we want as plugins. The likes of IPB and vBulletin are so heavy and full of bloat that they are not always the most suitable things to use.

Keep MyBB nice and simple and then we can all just add in the extras we want instead of having a load of things that we don't want or need.
C'mon now, we all know MyBB isn't going to give not one core feature like a member photo gallery or blog, little lone put their name to a bunch of plugins. Popular Core components yes for member enhancement not a bunch of trivial plug-ins. That's realistic.

I believe you will not see a change at all Jesse.

I also wonder where will MyBB be in 5 years? (I say 5 years because in Sept this year I will of been here and using MyBB for that long) Will it have its own CMS? Will members be able to visit one place where they can see each members photos? Will Members be able to share more personal experiences about their life by having their own space to write in? Or will it be just a Message Board only still. I believe these questions have now been answered imo Jesse.

I'm not suggesting copying anyones software either. All I'm suggesting is to add components that enhance the user end experience. Components that entrench them into your site and make them become a in-depth part of it.

Regards
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10