MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: CustoMyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
YES! That means the DNS system that I rebuilt earlier does work. Ok, it should work flawlessly from now on. Sorry about the downtime everyone.
(2009-07-16, 11:17 PM)macaws Wrote: [ -> ]YES! That means the DNS system that I rebuilt earlier does work. Ok, it should work flawlessly from now on. Sorry about the downtime everyone.

Nope. Was working before, now it stopped again.
Anyways, now that that's all working again (thanks macaws) I added a premium section. Why? Because now I have a paypal account. So I'll be making and releasing some very nice and cheap skins (probably $5 - $25 premade, copyright-free on the more expensive ones). Once I get a bit of money in my paypal account, I'll look into a domain ( AWSM ) and then set that up too.

All sounds good, right? Pain is, I'm right in the middle of renovating a house so I can move into it with my family o.O

In other words, probably no new themes for a little while... Sad
Your site appears to be down.
$5-25 for skins? Most sites charge like $5 for unlimited access for a year ...

I've always argued in favour of charging for attachments to free software, but this is getting ridiculous ... almost every site is paid.
lol, you see what people don't realise when they see MyBB central and think "hey i can make a quick buck by charging $5 to subscribe to my website" is that labrocca has a very long history of making top quality addons and people trust that he will continue to to so. Not to mention that labrocca built his reputation with free plugins and themes. When people see some new site trying to charge $5 for what is now only a handful of themes plus maybe a plugin or two people they don't even bother to visit the site because they know already that it has nothing to offer them.
(2009-07-19, 06:40 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: [ -> ]$5-25 for skins? Most sites charge like $5 for unlimited access for a year ...

I've always argued in favour of charging for attachments to free software, but this is getting ridiculous ... almost every site is paid.

And I should follow this trend, because? I am entitled to charge what I choose for the work I do. Before you go about judging me, or my website, please wait until I have something up there to criticize. I never once said "okay, all themes are gonna cost you $20"; I said some themes will range within those boundaries. I am still releasing free themes when I have the time. Custom themes, however, may cost you a few dollars.

My question is, why is a MyBB Powered theme website any different from a IPB Powered theme website? Should I go and purchase IPB so I can charge for themes without getting a hard time over it? I don't have to charge one global rate for access to my themes. I can charge individually if I choose. Whether or not people purchase them is another story, and I may just have to learn the hard way.

Perhaps in the future I may change the way users purchase themes, but I don't feel it's right to charge a measly $5 or even $10 for possibly hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of themes.

_Tim, I understand I may not have the very best themes out there, but like anything else, if you want something, you're going to have to pay in the end.

I have just purchased a domain name and hosting, and I do intend on making this a success.
(2009-07-19, 03:43 PM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]_Tim, I understand I may not have the very best themes out there, but like anything else, if you want something, you're going to have to pay in the end.

I have just purchased a domain name and hosting, and I do intend on making this a success.

In my experience your path to sucess is going to be much easier if you use a paypal donate button in your header with a note saying "we are trying to rase funds for a domain" and then have half a dozen themes or so which can be freely downloaded with say 5 posts. Maybe add to that a few tutorials and you will build yourself a successful website and you will start to get a reputation for your themes. Once you do that then you will get much more sucess when you start charging your subscription or whatever.
@scoutie
I quite agree, but you need to consider the target audience.
IPB & vBulletin users both pay hefty yearly sums for their forum software.
What's a measly $35 to them? But MyBB is free.
Most people expect either free or very minimal payment, unless they are highly professional.
Just my 2 cents, and I agree with the reputation building thing as well.
I 100% support you in your quest in making premium skins.
Good luck!
Well, for the time being I will charge on a per-theme basis. I will consider other options in the future, but for the time being I will be doing things a bit differently from the rest. It's not that I'm too cheap to buy the IPN plugin, it just doesn't seem to fit just right for theme sales. I am taking into consideration your feedback, but I'll try things my way and see how they go.

In my post above I was a tad bit stressed with everything around my house, so sorry if I came off a bit ticked.

Just for the record, I'm not short on money for purchasing the domain and hosting (I don't have a credit card, so it's going to take a while for the bank > paypal to process >.>).

Thanks for the feedback though, it's much appreciated Wink

dammit i cant type tonight
now i see infranight's post
rayj

@Infranight:

Good point, I agree with that statement. There's really no sense in me attempting to argue my point in terms of blah blah hosting costs, lol. Where I'm trying to make a bit of revenue is in the custom themes, as I'm easily stumped for ideas on themes, however I can guarantee you that when I release premium themes they will be very fairly priced, premium support will be available free, the themes will be very high quality and will offer readily available adaptions for users. For example, I'm working on enhancing a custom theme I've built for someone. I will be providing default color variations, for adaptability as well as a unique appearance. I am planning on releasing this for $5 (all color variations and updates free of charge) once I launch the new website.

Again everyone, thank you for your opinions.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7