MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: myBB has poor documentation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
No, more like API documentation. At the moment you have to swim through the MyBB source to find out what some function does, or that this useful function even exists. I've considered doing this myself a couple of times but I suck at writing documentation stuff clearly. At least it will be a start though...
(2009-07-30, 02:06 AM)Firestryke31 Wrote: [ -> ]No, more like API documentation. At the moment you have to swim through the MyBB source to find out what some function does, or that this useful function even exists. I've considered doing this myself a couple of times but I suck at writing documentation stuff clearly. At least it will be a start though...

http://www.mybbcentral.com/documents/

Although that's 1.4.6 not much has changed.
Yea API doc is not notepad++ lol, not asking for a compiler or IDE editor.

Just a simple A-Z function list... Doesn't even have to be all of them, just some common ones and enough details to get it started such as the parameters and stuff...

But, myBB is really a nice piece of software, I'm so proud of it.

But no API doc is such a huge turn off... And nobody is ever on the forums enough to answer any serious questions... Only the guests and amateurs who have no idea most of the time on certain technicalities...

(as for the link to the 1.4.6 document --- that's not an API doc... It's basically an online viewer of the source codes... Not really useful unless you are super smart..)
Well see now we are getting somewhere. Everyone keeps asking for this stuff but no one says what it should actually include.

And, it's not being supersmart it's knowing php.(which is required to make plugins in the first place) Note, I'm not saying we shouldn't have documentation still.
This is an insanely good idea, as no clear function list like SMF's Function DB is currently in place, and this is my largest hurdle when I want to write a plugin, the lack of explanation as to what the plugin functions DO.
A development guide is coming shortly.
(2009-07-30, 07:49 AM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]A development guide is coming shortly.

OKej, can I get some credit in there for bringing this brilliant idea up? Big Grin
It's been in the works for a while now...
ya, don't feel special, its been wanted.
still I think I deserve a credit in there for bringing it up now.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6