MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: myBB has poor documentation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Not only is prudens annoying, he's terribly misinformed. I had to tell him what the meaning of "monopoly" is and point out that him saying he has loyal customers to retain and then saying there is no such thing as a loyal customer is an oxymoron. Jesus, prudens, get smart, this idea is a good one, but it's been suggested many many times and it's impossible that everyone who suggests it will get credit for it if it's implemented. Get smart.
(2009-07-31, 02:58 AM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]So everyone is just supposed to 'figure it out' because there are no hand railings for them to use? I agree the method of request wasn't too great, but you can't just say to everyone "Oh, go figure it out because MyBB doesn't have a complete documentation!" I thought our intentions were to attract plugin & theme devs with an easy to learn and use interface, not make it difficult for them.

It isn't that difficult. If you look at hello.php and download some other modifications as examples to look at. I was able to figure it out within a couple of hours of looking at hello.php and a couple other mods. Looking at documentations would take about the same amount of time. I do understand that creating a documentation would be nice. I am just saying that creating a modification isn't that hard.
Skywalker the problem is a lot of people expect to be able to make plugins without first understanding php.
That is why PHP 5 for Dummies exists. xD
I know, I'm just making a point I see all these people who want to do tons of things to their forum that aren't just template changes. But, don't know php and expect use to hold their hands through it. I don't know php and I accept that but I'm not trying to make a plugin either Toungue.
I wouldn't trust a plugin written by someone with no PHP knowledge.
(actually, the amount of knowledge/experience in PHP is rather irrelevant, I'm more interested in the competency of the person writing the script, at writing code)

Looking at others' code is a good place to start. For a MyBB source, check the class_* files in the inc folder, and just look at what functions lay in there. Listing them out nicely, IMO, isn't more effective than scanning through the file.
I'm confused by your statement Yumi Toungue. I understand the second part, but you lost me with the stuff in parentheses.
(2009-07-31, 01:53 AM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]How is he supposed to do that? He needs the documentation, but somehow he's supposed to know how to write one??

If you understood my post, it meant that if he can't do it, and MyBB Support can, then give them time. At least they are making it =\. So why not give them some time?
(2009-07-31, 03:12 AM)StingReay Wrote: [ -> ]Not only is prudens annoying, he's terribly misinformed. I had to tell him what the meaning of "monopoly" is and point out that him saying he has loyal customers to retain and then saying there is no such thing as a loyal customer is an oxymoron. Jesus, prudens, get smart, this idea is a good one, but it's been suggested many many times and it's impossible that everyone who suggests it will get credit for it if it's implemented. Get smart.

Dude, your understanding of monopoly is limited to what the dictionary tells you. What it doesn't tell you is that monopoly has many forms. Just because a company doesn't control 100% of the market, doesn't mean it doesn't qualify as a monopoly...
Hate to be a bit facist here, but can we only discuss the development documentation?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6