MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: XThreads preview/testing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
This is an idea I had a long time ago but stopped working on it after a while. Decided to pick it up again recently.
However, I don't know whether I'll ever release this, or even complete it, so no promises here or anything.

This plugin is based on a simple idea, and integrates quite tightly with MyBB. The primary idea of XThreads (eXtend Threads) is adding additional thread fields (hence the name), however, used correctly, it can give some interesting results.

Rather than list features etc, I'll just stick up a quick demo board, showing some of the things which can be done with XThreads. This is just a stock MyBB 1.4.11 install with XThreads and a few template modifications - there are no other plugins/code modifications installed:
http://mybbhacks.zingaburga.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=24 (I've been lazy with some template edits - see here for more info)
Old demo board (registration disabled): http://mybbhacks.zingaburga.com/xtdemo/

This plugin does require the user to know how to edit MyBB's templates, so HTML/CSS knowledge is recommended.

Anyway, just posting this if anyone's interested. Again, I don't know if it'll ever be available.

More info on the admin interface:
The plugin adds a Custom Thread Fields section to the AdminCP - from here you can add/edit/delete thread fields. Here's a summary of a few properties thread fields can have:
  • Name, Description
  • Key (you use {$threadfields['key']} to reference a thread field from a template
  • Applicable forums
  • Who can edit the field
  • Type of field (textbox, textarea, selectbox, file input etc)
  • Parsing preference (eg allow MyCode/HTML etc)
  • Allow filtering by value (eg the thread prefixes example)
  • Allow multiple values
  • Display formatting
  • Custom format mappings
  • Text masking / valid list of values
  • Allowed file extensions/magic/max filesize etc, image thumbnail generation sizes

It also adds some stuff when adding/editing a forum:
  • Template Prefix - this powerful field allows different forums to have vastly different functions
  • Thread Grouping (useful for the gallery example)
  • Display first post at top of every showthread page
  • XThreads' inline search (enabled in the gallery example; basically modifies the inline forumdisplay searchbox behaviour)
  • Override threads/posts per page
  • Allow blank post message
  • Don't include this forum's threads/posts in global stats
  • Custom WOL text for various things

Added global templates (note, all of these work with custom template prefixes):
  • editpost_first - allow you to have a different template if user is editing the first post of a thread
  • forumdisplay_group_sep - separator template used with thread grouping
  • forumdisplay_thread_null - dummy template used with thread grouping
  • showthread_noreplies - dummy template, can be used to display something if the thread has no replies
  • forumdisplay_searchforum_inline, threadfields_inputrow - templates for XThreads functions

There are a few other misc stuff that really don't have a whole lot of importance.
I didn't know what it was at first till i started reading threads,but i must say this is an amazing plugin. But prefix's will be in 1.6

Cant wait till (if) you release this.
if you can make user can post more than 1 image in thread it's much better. (gallery)

I think I like your idea.
Top notch!
(2010-02-07, 07:26 AM)Devilson Wrote: [ -> ]But prefix's will be in 1.6
It's just an example of what can be done. The plugin itself has no concept of thread prefixes whatsoever.
Actually, this might have some benefits over the 1.6 prefixes feature, such as the ability to filter threads based on prefix, have multiple prefixes for a thread, custom (eg not restricted to a listbox) prefixes etc.

(2010-02-07, 08:33 AM)kaixer Wrote: [ -> ]if you can make user can post more than 1 image in thread it's much better. (gallery)
Well the plugin doesn't stop you from doing that, though I'm not sure why you'd want that.
Basically, all I did to make the gallery with XThreads is add a "Image" custom thread field, which is a file upload box, which requires users to submit images, and will generate 320x320 and 120x120 (scaled down to aspect ratio) thumbnails - former is used for forumdisplay, latter is used in search. Then just apply custom templates to make the forumdisplay page look more like a gallery.
Again, the plugin itself has no concept of a gallery, and there is absolutely no code in it which has any relation with a gallery. It just gives a framework which all sorts of things can be built on it without any PHP - the main difficulty is just making the templates.

Thanks.
Freaking amazing! I don't care if this was paid or not, i'd pay 20 bucks for this.
Amazing plugin.

I have some question:

1. Is there group permission and/or forum permission for using each additional thread field?

(2010-02-07, 11:27 AM)Yumi Wrote: [ -> ]Basically, all I did to make the gallery with XThreads is add a "Image" custom thread field, which is a file upload box

2. Is it possible to add an alternative for using Image URL?

Thanks.
Amazing plugin Zinga, I hope you release it, it will be a success Smile
Thanks again for comments.

(2010-02-07, 05:08 PM)RateU Wrote: [ -> ]1. Is there group permission and/or forum permission for using each additional thread field?
Since this uses MyBB's forum system, it inherits all of MyBB's features, including the forums permissions.
As for editing thread fields, you can control who is able to edit them, individually, yes.

(2010-02-07, 05:08 PM)RateU Wrote: [ -> ]2. Is it possible to add an alternative for using Image URL?
Yes, you'd just choose to make a textbox instead of a file upload box.
Can we download it soon?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5