MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Introducing ShopMyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
I am excited to announce the launch of one of my greatest works. I have been working vigorously on the development of my new marketplace system that allows developers or authors to sell their creations in a central point or venue providing all buyers one place to shop and find exactly what they are looking for - or at least that is my goal.

Before you start jumping all over me in regards that I am destroying MyBB with such movement, please understand my sole reason and ideology behind my movement or transition.

Today, MyBB faces one of the biggest problems on distribution, most of the plugins and themes developed and created for this software are either free or paid and located on different scattered websites. I understand the authors points are to gain more traffic to their site and to expand their own community. However, registering at several different sites and usually paying a subscription fee for each one of them is a tedious process. Furthermore, as plugins and themes become widespread throughout the net, they become less apparent to those that want them, making the users (one who wants to use the plugin / theme) spend quite some time locating the item they need. Furthermore, a lot of these subscription sites don’t even let you view screenshots without paying the $10 yearly subscription fee. With all that said, the author ends up at a loss in exposure and their main goal, profit, while the User or Buyer ends up wasting his or her time and or money searching for their needs. Thus, a solution is needed.

MyBB have done a great job at keeping most of the free plugins available on the Modifications site but does not exactly cope for those who choose to sell their work. Therefore, I bring to you ShopMyBB.

My goal for the ShopMyBB Marketplace is to attract devoted Authors and potential Buyers all to one place. I have developed a plethora of tools for Authors to feel in control of the Items they sell, and for Buyers to purchase items with a simple click - no forms to fill out, no credit card to charge, or any of that, just a simple click and it’s yours. Of course before you can purchase an item, you’ll need to have sufficient funds in your account by depositing money into your account, or selling your own items - however, depositing is simple and only takes a minute or so and is not a everyday or every-purchase event.

“Did I Just Sell My Arm & Leg!?”

No, no you didn’t. On the ShopMyBB Marketplace there is something I call “Price Integrity”, which means, we will not have random and unreasonable pricing throughout the site, all items are priced by our reviewers who reasonably price the items based on certain guidelines which means the Author will potentially maximize their profits and the Buyer will be just as happy.

One of our main goals is to retain Item Quality, which means not all items submitted for review will be accepted. We want to make sure the Buyer knows he or she is getting a quality product - which is one of the main strengths that will drive this Marketplace.

“Control! You said We Have Control, Not ShopMyBB!”

You are absolutely right, as an Author, even though we set the pricing of your items, you do not need to keep the price we set it at. The price the Reviewer sets your item at is called the “Recommended Price”, which means the Reviewer reasonably feels that your item will obtain more sales and more profit to you by selling your item under that set price.

“So how does that maintain “Price Integrity” if we can change the price?”

This is where I introduce one of the main tools that will keep Authors & Buyers happy. While you as an Author may disagree with the recommended price, the reviewer sets a range of prices you can choose from that continue to retain the Price Integrity throughout the site. This means that if you believe changing your price in accordance to the range is reasonable, you may do so.

“You do know some Potential Buyers do not even have $1 to spend?”

Indeed I do. Another one of my reasons of creating this Marketplace is to help Buyers and Authors. Everyone has talent, and if you own or run a MyBB powered forum, chances are, you have talent in either making themes, graphics, and or plugins.Thus, I introduce another core feature that is vital for this Marketplace - Using your Earnings to buy other items. While you can always request a withdrawal of your earnings, you can also spend it on items available on the Marketplace. This means that if you do not have money to deposit into your account, you can always create and sell items and thus purchase the items you want.

Overall, I am really hoping ShopMyBB will centralize most or all Buying and Selling activity to one certain location, which will make it so much easier for all of us who are interested in selling items or interested to find the quality products. This is definitely a Community-driven project and my ultimate goal is to keep all parties involved happy and of course Authors and Buyers on the better side of the bargain.

With all that said, check it out and post your feedback. =)

http://shopMyBB.com

EXTRA INFO

Are you the only one behind this project?

Absolutely not. Nickman is behind managing and reviewing items who also helped bring a lot of ideas to the table.

How does the Price Range tool affect Buyers?

While some Authors may set their item's pricing at the maximum available in the range (meaning the item might be slightly overpriced), the Author will soon realize that demand decreases when the price increases and will most likely adjust accordingly to an even balance.

We will also try our best to set the price ranges to a better fit as the project matures.

Who helped beta test?

While Nickman and I tested the implemented features thoroughly before inviting a group of awesome people, they are (listed in no specific order):

Infranight
Pirata Nervo
combus
Darkmew
computergeek67
Bob Jansen
TimB.
Joshee
Skyance
DragonFever

These beta testers offered critique and tested the system to bring it where it is today and are distinguished with a beta tester badge on the website. They were definitely awesome people to work with. Smile

Justin S. also helped by offering his critique despite not being a registered member - big thanks as well. Smile

Questions or complaints that will probably be asked or mentioned

How long has this idea been in the works?

I have had this idea for about two years now and was put to work about four months ago.

How long has this been in beta testing?

It has been in beta-testing stages since the end of January; however, testers were recruited in mid February.

Will you implement a forum for the site?

A forum integration is in the making and will roll out in the upcoming months.

This marketplace idea is very similar to many others out there under different genres and thus this isn't an original idea.

Yes, there are plenty of marketplace websites out there that may be similar to the system I developed. However, many key-features were developed to cope with MyBB Authors and Buyers, I also implemented countless security measures in the back end that I know a lot of marketplace websites haven't based on some of their announcements.

Furthermore, it isn't about the general idea being original but rather how the idea was formulated and put together. A vehicle is a vehicle, but the features that make up the vehicle distinguishes its uniqueness.

If those haven't answered your questions, feel free to ask. Smile
Good luck, I love the idea Smile
5 Thumbsup for u .. very beautiful idea and i love it. Registered
Good idea!
Dear , when i Charge my account with $10 , it lands me on 404 Not Found page when i clicked " Return To Merchant Site ".

Please check this bug
(2010-03-12, 06:47 PM)alirex Wrote: [ -> ]Dear , when i Charge my account with $10 , it lands me on 404 Not Found page when i clicked " Return To Merchant Site ".

Please check this bug

I'm looking into it. Please PM me with full details.

Thanks,
Best Regards.
Looking good, just registered. Although I had to use "Fabio" as my first name, and it's Fábio. It doesn't accept it, it said something about alphanumeric chars.
(2010-03-12, 06:55 PM)Imad Jomaa Wrote: [ -> ]I'm looking into it. Please PM me with full details.

Thanks,
Best Regards.
PM sent with full screenshot of payment Smile
Waiting for account charge to get the template of Joshee Toungue
I think i am first buyer , My name must be there with Golden Alphabets Big Grin
good idea..

I hope this site not specific only for mybb user, but other forum software.

XD
yeah it can go with any board i think " Shop My BB ( Bulletin Board ) " (*_~)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14