MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Need a GOOD VPS :)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Your going to be using the terminal or putty a lot Toungue.

http://www.ispconfig.org/ispconfig-3/documentation/ would probably be where to start. I just installed it last night. This way you have sort of control panel to help you.
What is ispconfig? Can putty connect to ubuntu straight after ubuntu install?
PuTTY is a SSH program for Windows and can connect to any Linux distro with SSH enabled and port 22 accessible. Wink
ok Lets start again:

*delete vm in gigenetcloud*

I now have some credits (although not enough for cpanel). Which OS should I install, and how should I install it so it acts as a webserver?
CentOS 5 is the most commonly used OS and is the most supported OS for web servers and scripts. I prefer it over the others myself. Wink
After you have CentOS installed (assuming you decide to use it) here is a nice guide on how to install Kloxo which is a free, open source, lightweight control panel. I have used it a few times and it's fairly straight forward to use and offers quite a bit of options but has a "depressing" history of bugs, security flaws, and suicide. It's been reported though that is has been doing better after changing hands to a new dev team.

Another option which I have also tried briefly but enjoyed was Webmin. Very simple installation guide here.
How would I get a remote desktop setup on Cent OS? Basically I prefer being able to see whats happening instead of hoping the terminal has doe everything correctly Toungue
Tommy add me on msn, i'll help you tonight (EST) if you haven't already. Cent while good i've never used X on lol. If you want to add a GUI i say Kloxo is a bit... flashy. Webmin does the job perfectly. Kloxo's history is a little... bad for me. Best bet is learn to use the terminal, and putty *Or pay for F-secure one i love it.* Say the commands as you type it. It gets stuck in there. It sounds stupid and weird, but really, its the best way.
What time EST? Because Im GMT Toungue
(2010-05-31, 06:47 PM)Tommyk Wrote: [ -> ]What time EST? Because Im GMT Toungue

http://www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/tzc.tzc
I say just use ISPConfig as it's open source and has decent support since it's run by or works with the people who run howtoforge. It's like kloxo and webmin but you'll probably find it easier than webmin (I couldn't find my away around that panel).
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13