MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Need a GOOD VPS :)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
(2010-05-29, 07:33 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]There is webmin if you can figure out how to use it (which I couldn't).

What were your problems? What OS were you using?
It wasn't getting it installed it was actually using it Toungue.

Edit: Based on the control panel topic. If you choice one that has a ClearOS profile I would recommend giving it a try before buying a license if you find don't like the free ones (like me). It looks pretty nice from my quick glance at it with my new gigenetcloud account.Big Grin
(2010-05-29, 04:41 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]It wasn't getting it installed it was actually using it Toungue.

Edit: Based on the control panel topic. If you choice one that has a ClearOS profile I would recommend giving it a try before buying a license if you find don't like the free ones (like me). It looks pretty nice from my quick glance at it with my new gigenetcloud account.Big Grin

gigenetcloud.com's demo account is offline Sad
hmm, I don't think that lets you make actual VMs to test anyway.

http://www.gigenetcloud.com/cloud-server...shots.html

The control panel is basically your standard VPS control panel for the most part. There are some difference as it is a cloud though. There is a video showing how to create your machine and what not somewhere as well though.
(2010-05-29, 01:46 AM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]I hear MediaTemple has a pretty rad cloud setup.

MT's Grid-Service is based on Sun/BlueArc clusters (so a giant SAN) connected to a bunch of load-balanced web servers. MySQL is served from seperate machines, as is Ruby, Django etc - thus they're referred to as "containers".

As far as I am aware, their VE and DV servers are not "cloud based", in the sense that they do not rely on a SAN like Gigenet's service does. They're more comparable to the Rackspace Cloud environment, although they use Virtuozzo instead of Xen. Basically, it's a batch of VM nodes running independently - so there isn't anything funky behind it.

GigeNET have an excellent network - we use them for a few of our shared hosting boxes and our Chicago VM nodes, and we're incredibly happy there. If you're after some seriously good connectivity, then go for them, but just be aware that by the time you have paid for their relatively expensive bandwidth, IPs and set up a VM, the price won't be as competitive. Nevertheless, it's a true Xen-based cloud setup, and I prefer it by far to the likes of VPS.net.
You know gigenetcloud.com, it says, "starting form $10/Month", is this a flat rate, or do you get charged on credits? The tutorial video has confused me somewhat Toungue

For example, I may only need 5gb for the starter plan instead of 15gb Smile
Well, I've started a gigenetcloud.com cloud Smile Just waiting for the moeny to clear on my pre-pay credit card Toungue
It's all credit based. It's 800 credit minimum ($20). It's like .54 credits and hour for the most basic machine. And, then you get charged based on your bandwidth as well but that's based on your usage so you only pay for what you use.
You only get billed for outgoing, public bandwidth and any bandwidth under 100MB an hour is not billed from my experience.
I've also learned you can buy chunks of bandwidth ahead of time if you want. I'm not sure if it's cheaper (I would imagine it is though).
(2010-05-29, 08:12 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]I've also learned you can buy chunks of bandwidth ahead of time if you want. I'm not sure if it's cheaper (I would imagine it is though).

Im sure somewhere it states that bandwidth blocks, although cheaper, do not roll-over to the next month Confused
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13