MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Need a GOOD VPS :)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
(2010-05-28, 10:03 PM)Tommyk Wrote: [ -> ]But a VPS at zfast is actually cheaper than a reseller Toungue
So you think its better than a reseller account? I would rather by a good shared account than than a 10 dollar VPS account. Why would you even want to host people on a 8 pound VPS? Are you trying to bring their sites down?
Lol, it's mainly to host my sites and some friends Smile

as I say, I'm just starting off. If I enjoy it, I'll upgrade.
(2010-05-28, 10:07 PM)Tommyk Wrote: [ -> ]Lol, it's mainly to host my sites and some friends Smile

as I say, I'm just starting off. If I enjoy it, I'll upgrade.
But are you planning to start an hosting service with it? If it's just for personal use that you could get it but I would rather buy a 10 dollar shared plan than touch that Toungue.
Yes but nothing major, I just want to see what VPS is like in comparison to shared hosting. My current host is awful, and putting all of my sites on one VPS sounded like a good idea. Then I thought I could upgrade and host other peoples sites under my VPS Smile
(2010-05-28, 10:13 PM)Tommyk Wrote: [ -> ]Yes but nothing major, I just want to see what VPS is like in comparison to shared hosting. My current host is awful, and putting all of my sites on one VPS sounded like a good idea. Then I thought I could upgrade and host other peoples sites under my VPS Smile
How can you expect a 8 pound VPS to be any better? In matter of fact it will be probably be worse. A normal VPS is around 30-60 dollars not 10 dollars. If you want fast hosting than I would recommend you to take a look at The Forum Forge or any other decent web host.
Tommy, I'm using the starting plan for TheForumForge, check how fast my site loads. Smile
http://vpsnoc.com/Unmanaged_VPS.html - Get "Silver"

PM me for a referral link if you use it.
(2010-05-28, 10:28 PM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]http://vpsnoc.com/Unmanaged_VPS.html - Get "Silver"

Cheap company, good find.

Honestly though...they describe their connectivity as "premium" - it's just Level3 and Cogent. Cogent is known to be terrible - it's cheap bandwidth ($4/mbps in some cases), although Level3 is quite reasonable.
(2010-05-28, 11:42 PM)vividWire Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-05-28, 10:28 PM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]http://vpsnoc.com/Unmanaged_VPS.html - Get "Silver"

Cheap company, good find.

Honestly though...they describe their connectivity as "premium" - it's just Level3 and Cogent. Cogent is known to be terrible - it's cheap bandwidth ($4/mbps in some cases), although Level3 is quite reasonable.

Fivebean has VPSs starting at $6 per month, haven't had any problems with them either.

Regarding Cognet, what problems have you had with them?
(2010-05-28, 11:49 PM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]Regarding Cognet, what problems have you had with them?

Packet loss, time and time again. They're known to be a budget carrier, and many companies refuse to rack on a network with Cogent in the BGP mix - simply because of past experiences and their reputation.

Level3 have a nice network, as have PCCW. Telia seems to have had packet loss problems with connections routed through their Dallas POP recently, so I'm not too impressed there, although they've been fine in Chicago. Personally, I'm a big Mzima (now PacketExchange) fan, and I'm warming to AboveNet.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13