MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Closing Threads
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I'm trying to understand why This Thread was closed?

I mean the guy closing it stated this....

Quote:This thread doesn't really have a legitimate purpose. I'm going to go ahead and close this before it turns south.

Now while I will say I wasn't involved with the post thread at all so maybe it's none of my business. But can someone please explain to me why the thread doesn't have a "legitimate purpose"? then in the next sentence the poster says he's "going to go ahead and close this before it turns south"!

I must be blind, cos all I see is a discussion about other forum software, and considering the post thread is in the Chit Chat forum, I don't see any harm in this at all since it's 'banter" amongst friends here at MyBB. On top of this, I sure as heck don't understand how after reading the post thread, someone can determine it needs to be closed " before it turns south"!!!

Seriously, I can accept the fact it's fair to have such folks as "Junior Developers" here. But please don't give them all the powers that other Moderators have, like closing threads, sending out warnings etc....There's enough Admin/Mods here already to do that!! If you do have to let them do things here at MyBB, allow them to move post to an appropriate form, merge threads etc.
It wasn't there yet, but I could only see it going one way myself. A topic started out on 'hating' a specific piece of software will never end well or be productive.

Just like any thread started comparing MyBB to (fill in the blank) forum software.

Do you think otherwise? Please let me know your thoughts. Smile
Ryan i do, it was turning into people saying what their favourite extremely light forum system was :/ I may not completely agree with all of lufbra, but i agree Rpicard did jump the gun a little.
From what I can see, some of the newer mods are just closing threads just because they like clicking the "close thread" button.
You have to keep in mind that we do have somewhat of a public image to uphold. We don't want everyone thinking that we hate every software that isn't MyBB.

Perhaps we need to stop closing so many threads, or perhaps people need to think about the type of threads they create and how we choose to reply to threads.

It's not always as simple as pointing the finger at staff.
There's been other post threads that have "gone south" without being moderated until they've already got 'out of hand"!

From what you're saying "It wasn't there yet", you're prejudging post threads when you should be letting the post thread carry on until such problems happen. Again, this was in the Chit Chat forum where "anything" is supposed to "go".

Let me put it to you another way Ryan....Had you read the content of that post thread, I very much doubt that you would have closed it because of what you saw in it up until it being closed.
I don't see why it's such a bad thing to discuss other forum softwares on the community forums of a forum software. I mean sure it could go downhill quickly, but so can every other thread. Sure some topics are more 'prone' to becoming negative, but that's typical of any forum. This isn't one of them.

Also, inb4tl.
(2010-06-25, 02:44 AM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]From what I can see, some of the newer mods are just closing threads just because they like clicking the "close thread" button.

1+ on that remark, I'm getting tired of it. All I wanna do is have a CHIT-CHAT with the other members and I can't.
The title of that thread being as ironic as it was didn't help my first impressions of the thread's success level, or lack-thereof.

If it was titled something more along the lines of "'Simpler' bulletin board solutions", or something to do with bare essential features of a forum, etc.
We're not trying to discourage you from chatting amongst others, but we would like to see the overall maturity raised a little.

Please, by all means, get out there and make some threads. Just be sure you aren't dooming the thread before it even has a reply or a second page. Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4