MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: I hate computers!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Get a MacBook, they are well worth the money Smile
Yeah =/ Same thing was happening to me last month for my laptop... It would take about 35 minutes to start up, 20 minutes to connect to a Network, and then it would tell me I can't do anything because my files were corrupt... =/

Long story short, my girlfriend bought me a new one. =P
(2010-06-29, 03:25 PM)Elegant Totality Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah =/ Same thing was happening to me last month for my laptop... It would take about 35 minutes to start up, 20 minutes to connect to a Network, and then it would tell me I can't do anything because my files were corrupt... =/

Wow, thats the best long story short I've ever heard. O_O
what can i say, it's your fault,
use firefox
(2010-06-29, 03:25 PM)Elegant Totality Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah =/ Same thing was happening to me last month for my laptop... It would take about 35 minutes to start up, 20 minutes to connect to a Network, and then it would tell me I can't do anything because my files were corrupt... =/

[Image: cool_story_bro.jpg]
I'm pretty sure your computer hates you more. Computers don't break for no reason, just make sure you got a backup of your important files before you try format it or something.
Gaara, how old is your windows install? How old is your harddrive? As mentioned before, things break over time. In my expierence only UNIX doesn't break over time.
(2010-06-29, 02:59 PM)Anman Wrote: [ -> ]Windows is targeted towards computer newbs. Anyhow perhaps it's a virus? Try doing a scan. It could be bad sectors in the harddrive I guess but I find that very unlikely. Run a chkdisk just to make sure your harddrive is fine.
Nope, not a virus. If it was, then I'd have experienced it last night. As I said, turned on my computer and it corrupted the files.
Tried a chkdsk, but it error'd

(2010-06-29, 03:17 PM)Dutchcoffee Wrote: [ -> ]Get a MacBook, they are well worth the money Smile
Probably will be

lol. Big Grin

(2010-06-29, 03:35 PM)Glas Wrote: [ -> ]what can i say, it's your fault,
use firefox
Why is it my fault?? I didn't do anything to make it happen. Stop posting things that are not even true. Firefox doesn't work properly at all on our computers, doesn't download things properly.

(2010-06-29, 03:44 PM)41shots Wrote: [ -> ]Gaara, how old is your windows install? How old is your harddrive? As mentioned before, things break over time. In my expierence only UNIX doesn't break over time.
Well, I had Windows XP Home for a while, then had Windows XP Professional since 2004/2005.
Hard drive is about 3 years old, it replaced the original in the computer.

The problem is that it happened completely out of the blue and it affected only TWO programs, not every program on my computer.
I had the same problem with Gentoo Linux not too long ago. I was running the OS off an SD card. Not a good idea for a more than a month or so.

(2010-06-29, 08:17 AM)dikidera Wrote: [ -> ]Windows does not have problems when used correctly!
Three things off the top of me 'ead;
The registry is a problem windows users can't avoid. Put all system configuration data in a massive, growing and ever slower to traverse database. Great plan.
Instead of putting the user configuration in one specified user directory they are fragmented across the system, making maintenance difficult and viral outbrakes hard to contain.
It's package manager is restricted to packages released by microsoft. I'll leave the quality of this manager for another discussion but if it were an open system companies could maintain their own updates repository and windows update would be able to update the entire system instead of just key system files.

These three things have nothing to do with using the system correctly, they are intrinsic to every recent version of windows. They are problems which microsoft are almost utterly unable to fix while maintaining a sensible degree of backwards compatibility.
May I ask how old this computer is? Have you done anything that might have made the Windows OS corrupt the files?
(2010-06-29, 08:06 AM)Gaara Wrote: [ -> ]Let me say this: it's not happened once before. Just came completely out of the blue.

Windows and Blue in the same sentence makes me LELZ. Smile

@41shots
You should read up on 2038 problem for Unix 32-bit platforms.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5