MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Mods & Plugins
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Btw isn't this basically what Microsoft did to Netscape? Destroying competition?
(2010-07-05, 10:11 PM)41shots Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-07-05, 10:09 PM)Tommyk Wrote: [ -> ]PM me or send me an offline MSN Smile

Done.

Which one ? Wink
(2010-07-05, 10:13 PM)Winford F. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-07-05, 10:11 PM)41shots Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-07-05, 10:09 PM)Tommyk Wrote: [ -> ]PM me or send me an offline MSN Smile

Done.
Can I know what the suprise is? Rolleyes

Sorry i can't tell everyone Toungue
ok, back on topic. Why must we go down this path? Is it not better for mybb to not push away its plugin coders.
(2010-07-05, 11:55 PM)Tommyk Wrote: [ -> ]ok, back on topic. Why must we go down this path? Is it not better for mybb to not push away its plugin coders.

They're not pushing away plugin coders. They're just trying to keep the official site clean and organized.
But be serious, why? There are much more pressing issues, such as paid only plugins that are more of a problem than letting author's sites get a bit of recognition for their work.

So,
  1. MyBB gets plugins, attracting more users
  2. The author gets nothing but a link, that virtually nobody follows
  3. The authors site dies out, and they make no moeny (not even enough to cover costs) from their plugins
  4. MyBB gets more and more plugins, which it ultimately has control over, making its feature list grow.
  5. Mybb subsequently gets a larger userbase
  6. New authors get nothing.

Great reason to make plugins for mybb.....
There is no rule saying that you have to provide support here. Just say that if you want support, that they have to come to your forum.
I do think that with this new policy the old paid forum option should be reconsidered ie. a separate forum where paid authors can advertise their plugins/theme

reason

Quote:There is no rule saying that you have to provide support here. Just say that if you want support, that they have to come to your forum.

(no offense to poster) but this is just one step away from

" Please visit xxx.site" to read install instruction
or
"Visit xxx.site to get install password"

or something along those lines where even though the plugins are technically available freely they come with insane ways to push the enduser to the authors site

i personally DO NOT want to reopen the can o' worms the paid plugin/theme section separate debate again but i do believe that this matter should be given some serious reconsideration (not saying it might not have already)

also i do remember that MyBB staff were toying ( for lack of a better word) with the idea of a paid site where reputed authors would be able to sell their stuff

MAYBE this policy should be put on hold while that idea is being developed (just a suggestion)
(2010-07-05, 09:50 PM)Tommyk Wrote: [ -> ]ok, as far as i understand it, we can only post a plugin in the releases forum if it is on the mods site? Thus, i cant give a link to my site, where the plugin is perfectly freely available to guests.

I dont really like these new rules. My plugins follow regulations (they are free), but I cant use them to draw mybb users to my site. It's fine for the big plugin sites who have already made enough connections to users to draw an audience. But starting from the bottom is now impossible.
I think, that if the plugin is freely downloadable, it shouldn't matter where it is hosted.

The problem is we have too much outsourcing going on. Sorry if that prevents some traffic to your forum, but we honestly need to outsource less.

The point is that we create and run and pay for these forums and spend every waking day moderating it, and spilling our sweat, breath, time, and blood into it. If you want to use our forums you need to use our services.

And another reason is that if you outsource your plugins you loose the ability to check for updates. This is a security problem if our users can't check for updates easily to their plugins. Eventually MyBB 2.0 will be able to auto-update so it becomes even more vital to have mods in one single manageable database. You can't outsource these type of services. They have to come from tried, true, and trusted sources which is mybb.com not anywhere else.

No changes will be made to the policy. Considerable time was spent on planning and thinking it out.
I understand that but you have just destroyed one incentive for plugin creators. Providing support on my own site won't really benefit me because my plugins are extremely easy to use, as well as the fact many people on this forum have the knowledge to help people out without the end user even having to visit my site.

I respect your decisions but I am a bit annoyed my site, that I have spent days spilling my sweat and blood in order to help make mybb better, will inevitably die out.
For the new plugin developers who are starting out in the community, I would recommend releasing through the mods site because this should give your plugins more exposure than if you were to release on your own site.

Also in the future if we do have more integration of the mods site into the ACP, plugins in the mods database will have an advantage.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7