MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Mods & Plugins
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Also, with the idea of licensing, i could basically say "Updates for this this plugin will only be released at blahblah.com"

leaving the mods site with a bug ridden beta plugin.
Giving people a poor first impression probably won't help build your image as a reputable modification developer.
(2010-07-06, 07:36 AM)Dennis Tsang Wrote: [ -> ]For the new plugin developers who are starting out in the community, I would recommend releasing through the mods site because this should give your plugins more exposure than if you were to release on your own site.

Im not a new developer as such, just im not as well known as Labrocca and Pirata. For example, Labrocca can simply place an ad on hackforums and his new site will instantly get thousands of visitors. Pirata has released new points, as well as myplaza. Thus he is well known, and people know to go to his site.

But for the less well known plugins and their makers it is impossible for people to get to know their site.

If developer X just releases on the mods site, then people will never visit Developer X's personal plugin site, even if they had one. They will always expect Developers X's plugins to be on the mods site.

I mean, you have a link on nearly every mybb powered forum, i often link to threads on mybb from my forum. I AM the one actually making mybb better by writing these plugins.
(2010-07-06, 07:38 AM)Dennis Tsang Wrote: [ -> ]Giving people a poor first impression probably won't help build your image as a reputable modification developer.

Personally, i would never do that. I am just talking about what could happen Smile
(2010-07-06, 05:49 AM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]but we honestly need to outsource less.

i do not quite understand this statement. WHY do you need to outsource less...?

(2010-07-06, 05:49 AM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]The point is that we create and run and pay for these forums and spend every waking day moderating it, and spilling our sweat, breath, time, and blood into it.

If you want to use our forums you need to use our services.

//offtopic
Microsoft and Internet Explorer Anyone
//offtopic

if you don't mind me saying, how are these 2 related.
If the MyBB team was making money of the forum and the paid authors were driving users aka. revenue of the forums then yes this would be a very viable statement. As it stands users download from the MyBB mods site, there is no revenue generation there, only cost from bandwidth etc.
which granted may not be much, but still exists (see bold)

(2010-07-06, 05:49 AM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]You can't outsource these type of services. They have to come from tried, true, and trusted sources which is mybb.com not anywhere else.

why not let the end user decide, as it stands anyone could upload rouge scripts in the mods database,unless of course the staff comb the script before approving it, which then of course poses another problem with approval times with large scripts which have 20+ files each with multiple functions etc

(2010-07-06, 05:49 AM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]No changes will be made to the policy. Considerable time was spent on planning and thinking it out.
Your call i guess
(2010-07-06, 07:41 AM)Tommyk Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-07-06, 07:36 AM)Dennis Tsang Wrote: [ -> ]For the new plugin developers who are starting out in the community, I would recommend releasing through the mods site because this should give your plugins more exposure than if you were to release on your own site.

Im not a new developer as such, just im not as well known as Labrocca and Pirata. For example, Labrocca can simply place an ad on hackforums and his new site will instantly get thousands of visitors. Pirata has released new points, as well as myplaza. Thus he is well known, and people know to go to his site.

But for the less well known plugins and their makers it is impossible for people to get to know their site.

If developer X just releases on the mods site, then people will never visit Developer X's personal plugin site, even if they had one. They will always expect Developers X's plugins to be on the mods site.

I mean, you have a link on nearly every mybb powered forum, i often link to threads on mybb from my forum. I AM the one actually making mybb better by writing these plugins.
(2010-07-06, 07:38 AM)Dennis Tsang Wrote: [ -> ]Giving people a poor first impression probably won't help build your image as a reputable modification developer.

Personally, i would never do that. I am just talking about what could happen Smile

You do know both of them started out here by releasing stuff here on MYBB? Myplaza for example was originally released by someone else here and then that person handed it over to Pirata who had stuff here including that which he then opened his own site for this stuff. This is how both of them got to be known here. Thus they did not start out here releasing stuff on their own sites. Both basically busted their tails to get to where they are now and thus known.

Take note of what vbgamer is doing. So yeah under the new system it can still be done and thus get your site known. Smile
Yes, but their mods are already released, and they have already had the chance to link to their site. However now you are not allowed to link to external plugin downloads, so new developers dont have the opportunities of the big players Sad Thats all im saying.
(2010-07-06, 08:23 AM)HarryWx Wrote: [ -> ]Take note of what vbgamer is doing. So yeah under the new system it can still be done and thus get your site known. Smile

What's he doing? I looked at all his releases and he just links to his site...
(2010-07-06, 07:36 AM)Tommyk Wrote: [ -> ]Also, with the idea of licensing, i could basically say "Updates for this this plugin will only be released at blahblah.com"

leaving the mods site with a bug ridden beta plugin.

We'll just stop approving your plugins if that's the way you want to try and fight the system.
(2010-07-06, 08:19 AM)Darkmew Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-07-06, 05:49 AM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]You can't outsource these type of services. They have to come from tried, true, and trusted sources which is mybb.com not anywhere else.

why not let the end user decide, as it stands anyone could upload rouge scripts in the mods database,unless of course the staff comb the script before approving it,

We do.
I'm not going to fight, I just think it's a bit unfair. Sad
Unfair in what way?
You may as well put it on your site and the mod system. Many users prefer just to download it straight away from the mods site rather than going to a third-party site and having to register etc.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7