MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Mods & Plugins
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
(2010-07-07, 12:29 PM)Polarbear541 Wrote: [ -> ]Unfair in what way?
You may as well put it on your site and the mod system. Many users prefer just to download it straight away from the mods site rather than going to a third-party site and having to register etc.
if they need something, they will do anything to get it.
Plugins aren't usually a need. Their usually more of a want. Regardless the whole point of the mods system is to make easy for users to get the plugins they want.
(2010-07-07, 01:03 AM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-07-06, 07:36 AM)Tommyk Wrote: [ -> ]Also, with the idea of licensing, i could basically say "Updates for this this plugin will only be released at blahblah.com"

leaving the mods site with a bug ridden beta plugin.

We'll just stop approving your plugins if that's the way you want to try and fight the system.

what if someone release fully functional, bug free version 1 here and 2 weeks later version 2 on their sites only, doing this for nearly all

what then
I actually can relate to the MyBB staff, See it as repositories...
I'd rather just go to the software center or do apt-get install, than to crawl over the internet finding packages for a single thing...
Take a look from their side for a change...
yeah that works for packages and dependencies but not when u can install a package by default, without any dependency issues, specially if the author wants credit on his site

besides if you actually read the posts the whole argument is that mods should be allowed to be advertise so that

Quote:than to crawl over the internet finding packages for a single thing

doesn' t happen
MyBB they are trying to alter or change its meaning, but Any attempt to change something in MyBB now is way to late this is ONLY going to result in more corruption and damage to the owners of MyBB as what there already is in corruption presently.
I've actually been wondering. I am thinking of making two version of plugins. One unoptimized less featured that adds attributation everywhere, and then a link to my site with a perfectly fine one. Seems about fair,
(2010-07-07, 08:51 PM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]I've actually been wondering. I am thinking of making two version of plugins. One unoptimized less featured that adds attributation everywhere, and then a link to my site with a perfectly fine one. Seems about fair,

This seems do-able...
Give a basic plugin at MyBB, and then give a "pro-version" free of cost on your own site, requirement that they participate on your plugin forum.
It does not break any rules and it is a win win.
(2010-07-07, 09:05 PM)laeresh Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-07-07, 08:51 PM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]I've actually been wondering. I am thinking of making two version of plugins. One unoptimized less featured that adds attributation everywhere, and then a link to my site with a perfectly fine one. Seems about fair,

This seems do-able...
Give a basic plugin at MyBB, and then give a "pro-version" free of cost on your own site, requirement that they participate on your plugin forum.

i think both of these are a big NO NO
might have to consult Ryan about this but seems that this is almost as same as
Quote:Also, with the idea of licensing, i could basically say "Updates for this this plugin will only be released at blahblah.com"

leaving the mods site with a bug ridden beta plugin.

leading to
Quote:We'll just stop approving your plugins if that's the way you want to try and fight the system.
(2010-07-07, 08:50 PM)technoman Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB they are trying to alter or change its meaning, but Any attempt to change something in MyBB now is way to late this is ONLY going to result in more corruption and damage to the owners of MyBB as what there already is in corruption presently.

Not sure why anyone would listen to you after the stunt you pulled.

(2010-07-07, 09:05 PM)laeresh Wrote: [ -> ]

This seems do-able...

Except that remember you are now causing security concerns when you remove the ability to check for updates to the plugins you release. For every user who was hacked through your plugin and wasn't able to check for updates, is on your head.

Users are especially going to be less incentivised for your plugins when they won't be able to upgrade them automatically in MyBB 2.0
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7