MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Mods & Plugins
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
(2010-07-07, 08:51 PM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]I've actually been wondering. I am thinking of making two version of plugins. One unoptimized less featured that adds attributation everywhere, and then a link to my site with a perfectly fine one. Seems about fair,

How is that fair? You're essentially forcing people to join your site because you're too selfish to release it in the global repository.

If this is the tactic you're going to use, then don't be surprised when similar mods pop up that give the end user the freedom to download from the official site.
(2010-07-07, 09:18 PM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure why anyone would listen to you after the stunt you pulled.

I am not at all out to change MyBB. But I do hope, that thread will work as a mirror for those who are at fault on here. This is where I sign off for today! Good Luck!
Not trying to butt in but...why is this thread not closed...? Reading this is just pathetic and this whole thread is useless, and I take the staff sides.
This whole thread is just more pointless whinning because people seem to think MyBB owes them a favour.

Perhaps if you spent more time producing quality plugins instead of whinning you might gain the reputation that would drive traffic and members to your site. For me, when I see a thread like this it just makes me want to stay away from your site and not use your plugins.

The system isn't going to change so either use it to your advantage or disappear quietly. Smile
(2010-07-07, 11:34 PM)AJS Wrote: [ -> ]This whole thread is just more pointless whinning because people seem to think MyBB owes them a favour.

Perhaps if you spent more time producing quality plugins instead of whinning you might gain the reputation that would drive traffic and members to your site. For me, when I see a thread like this it just makes me want to stay away from your site and not use your plugins.

The system isn't going to change so either use it to your advantage or disappear quietly. Smile

That you for expressing my thought's more so.
(2010-07-07, 10:13 PM)Ryan Ashbrook Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-07-07, 08:51 PM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]I've actually been wondering. I am thinking of making two version of plugins. One unoptimized less featured that adds attributation everywhere, and then a link to my site with a perfectly fine one. Seems about fair,

How is that fair? You're essentially forcing people to join your site because you're too selfish to release it in the global repository.

If this is the tactic you're going to use, then don't be surprised when similar mods pop up that give the end user the freedom to download from the official site.

I never said they'd need to join. I just like having high stats. Toungue
(2010-07-07, 10:34 PM)kyleowen Wrote: [ -> ]Not trying to butt in but...why is this thread not closed...? Reading this is just pathetic and this whole thread is useless, and I take the staff sides.

HEALTHY DISCUSSION
As a new member to this forum
"yes you do have the authority to say what the staff can/should close and what constitutes as a "useless thread"Dodgy"

Note: sarcam

(2010-07-07, 11:34 PM)AJS Wrote: [ -> ]This whole thread is just more pointless whinning because people seem to think MyBB owes them a favour.

No one at any stage said that, and if you had bothered to read the thread you would probably understand a lot more, as from these words it seems as you have not read the entire proceedings

(2010-07-07, 11:34 PM)AJS Wrote: [ -> ]Perhaps if you spent more time producing quality plugins instead of whinning you might gain the reputation that would drive traffic and members to your site.

It has been said that the system does not encourage Developers to develop in the first place. I personally do not feel that way but i can relate to it very well.

(2010-07-07, 11:34 PM)AJS Wrote: [ -> ]For me, when I see a thread like this it just makes me want to stay away from your site and not use your plugins.

That is your choice as an end user and absolutely in no way related to the discussion here. This thread is meant purely as a way for potential Developers to converse with the MyBB staff about some issues and concerns. And again, no one forces you to go to their site and download plugins regardless of where it is advertised.

(2010-07-07, 11:34 PM)AJS Wrote: [ -> ]The system isn't going to change so either use it to your advantage or disappear quietly. Smile
I don't understand what you are trying to say here, let me assure you if we lost plugin developers it would be a huge blow to MyBB. Not saying it would stop but then the MyBB team would have to worry about making the script and making addons also.

Lastly this thread has been nice and professional till now and even though there is a "heated" (for lack of a better word) debate going on, the staff have not closed it as they are allowing us to voice our opinions

Please do not litter this thread with such garbage and allow the conversation to proceed

(2010-07-07, 09:18 PM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]Users are especially going to be less incentivised for your plugins when they won't be able to upgrade them automatically in MyBB 2.0

not too sound too argumentative but it wouldn't take much effort adding a module or at least a new menu option in the admincp from plugin authors to offer updates through their sites.

I mean the whole trust thing comes up sure (user can offer valid plugin but then change to a malicious one via update) but that again is on the end users head right. And 1 bad experience and the authors credibility goes off a cliff therefore less users get hacked or whatnot
(2010-07-08, 12:46 AM)Darkmew Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-07-07, 09:18 PM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]Users are especially going to be less incentivised for your plugins when they won't be able to upgrade them automatically in MyBB 2.0

not too sound too argumentative but it wouldn't take much effort adding a module or at least a new menu option in the admincp from plugin authors to offer updates through their sites.

I know you aren't a programmer/someone who has much experience in security but do you realize how much of a security vulnerability that is? That would be the LARGEST vulnerability MyBB would ever have. Giving authors arbitrary access to your server to upload arbitrary PHP code would probably even have CNN talking about us.

That's like saying we should give every member on your forum access to the ACP, and if someone screws with your forum then, well, it's your fault for letting them sign up?

I am not trying to be rude and I totally respect you as a person and in any other conversation we might have, but that idea is ridiculous.
(2010-07-07, 09:18 PM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]I know you aren't a programmer/someone who has much experience in security but do you realize how much of a security vulnerability that is? That would be the LARGEST vulnerability MyBB would ever have. Giving authors arbitrary access to your server to upload arbitrary PHP code would probably even have CNN talking about us.

Sorry, I am not trying to be rude and I totally respect you as a person and in any other conversation we might have, but that idea is ridiculous.

you misunderstand what i am saying,
For instance as previously stated maybe 2.0 will have an auto update system. The fact that this is allowed is because MyBB is a trusted site
similarly i do not think that users are stupid enough to let just anyone upload files to there server automatically (and if they are then I doubt even CNN would wanna interview them)

Anyway the thing to realize is the word trusted authors from trusted sites.

If not at the very least a small message in the admincp that says Update to xxx available. I know its not automatic but keeps everyone happy.
(2010-07-08, 01:09 AM)Darkmew Wrote: [ -> ]you misunderstand what i am saying,
For instance as previously stated maybe 2.0 will have an auto update system. The fact that this is allowed is because MyBB is a trusted site
similarly i do not think that users are stupid enough to let just anyone upload files to there server automatically (and if they are then I doubt even CNN would wanna interview them)

Anyway the thing to realize is the word trusted authors from trusted sites.

If not at the very least a small message in the admincp that says Update to xxx available. I know its not automatic but keeps everyone happy.

I didn't misunderstand anything you were saying. There is not such thing as trusted authors from trusted sites in a world of good security.

People break or mess up all the time.

Even if the person wasn't the problem, the trusted "source" could become compromised. Having one single manageable, secure, trusted point is the best security you can get. Once you add these other sites you exponentially grow your failure rate from any view point.

If WordPress allowed auto updates from the outside there is no way in hell I would run WordPress for any of my blogs or sites.

There's no point in discussing letting 3rd parties right into your filesystem and server anymore because you're not going to win. Any security analyst would tell you the same.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7