MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Tons of FAKE users signing up!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I know this has been discussed on a few occasions, but I'm running all the "extras" to block the fake signups. I wonder if there is another problem?

Everyday I have 5-20 users that signup from Pakistan, Russia, China, etc and enter in websites for drugs in the bio and on the forum threads.

I have IP blocks in place (which is a joke because its easy to use a proxy server elsewhere).

I have the "StopForumSpam" module installed.
I tried the "Akismet" program to stop spam, no luck either.

I'm using extra profile fields with questions...if not answered correctly we automatically zap the member.

I have SEVERAL different websites with the myBB forum software (other clients of mine). All are unrelated to each other. What is strange is that most of them are experiencing the same issue. Also hosted on different servers.

Nothing against the myBB programmers & development team, but I am concerned there is some exploit making it easy for this to happen.
I'm running version 1.60 for two of the forums which are constantly hit.
Another one is running 1.4.8 which has only 10 members (very low profile site) and deleted 6 "new" members which were fake.

I've reinstalled ALL the php files, just to rule out any tampering. Installed modules were looked at pretty closely by our tech and don't show any issues. Even with everything "extra" turned off, we still get the signups. Passwords all changed, including the database and FTP.

I fail to understand why someone would take the time to get a new IP, new email address and answer the required questions over and over. Best case it takes 5 minutes to rush through each signup.

Is it possible there is some automated system or bot doing exploiting myBB sites?
Hmm, it really does seem someone is doing this to bug you.

Believe it or not, there are people that does that. Sad but true. You can tr manually activating users yourself.

Can I see your site?
Maybe install Captcha?
They're not exploiting anything. If a human being is registering, there's really not much anybody can do, they'll be bale to get past any checks you put in. Have you installed reCAPTCHA?? That sometimes helps but if a human is registering, they'll still be able to get past that.

Also you should really upgrade that 1.4.8 forum to 1.4.14, you're missing out on security and bug fixes.
The 1.4.8 is a forum I installed that is not really used (yet). That is why its not even upgraded to the new version yet since we might not even keep it.

Being so low profile, no posts in months and only 10 members it really makes me wonder if someone is targeting myBB forums. I can understand a forum with lots of activity being a target for spam.

I will take a look at the reCAPTCHA module. Thanks!
(2010-11-12, 07:59 PM)weBex Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm, it really does seem someone is doing this to bug you.

Believe it or not, there are people that does that. Sad but true. You can tr manually activating users yourself.

Can I see your site?

http://www.StogieChat.com
(2010-11-12, 09:06 PM)ebturner Wrote: [ -> ]http://www.StogieChat.com

Your site is block from my work place.

Reason: Alcohol / Tobacco.

LOL
(2010-11-12, 09:36 PM)weBex Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-11-12, 09:06 PM)ebturner Wrote: [ -> ]http://www.StogieChat.com

Your site is block from my work place.

Reason: Alcohol / Tobacco.

LOL

It is a Alcohol/Tobacco site. =O
Umm.. Hello!
I'm running a Creepypasta Forum that also has this issue.
Like everyday we have 2 or 3 spambot accounts registered...
Any way to fix it?
Hey guys,

I've been trying out myBB for some time now but my main forum is powered by SMF (was playing with both to decide which one I would want to go with).

Anyway, today we had two members register that really looked to me like this possible Spambot thing you're talking about and mind you that is on our SMF one, not myBB.

They never made any posts but as soon as they registered they had links to sites like "free laptops" and something about thyroid problems in their signatures.

I'm wondering if it isn't just myBB forums that are being targeted but rather all major forum software. I remember we never had this happen while using our free hosted Proboards forum.

Anyway, since I just happened to see this I figured I'd let you know this just happened to me too. And I'm on SMF!
Pretty much all forums are targeted.

In fact, in a web design class I took in 2006, the instructor told us he had students that would do specifically that all day in class & when they got home.

Because they earned from hundreds to thousands of dollars monthly just by spamming like that.

So really, believe that it's not a bot & actually people doing this.
Pages: 1 2 3 4