MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB vs. vBulletin - On Digital Point
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Your comparing an open source solution to a paid solution.

They are different. I used to be the same. But i know now there are things MyBB can't do that Vbull can, and vise versa.

Wasn't it Kant that said you can't compare things from Paradigm A to B since B has no relavence to A?
Are you seriously saying that vB and MyBB aren't comparable? They're both forum software that pretty much serve the same purpose. For a lot of people, "free" isn't the primary reason they chose MyBB, myself included. I could have bought ipb or whatever but I chose MyBB.
I've demoed Vbulletin, and admined a forum using it. I find Mybb to be the much better choice. If it ever went paid - I'd most definitely buy Mybb.
MyBB couldn't handle something like UbuntuForums. MyBB is a much smaller scale option. After working with databases, and seeing how large and how badly the wrong script works on them, you notice that they aren't all apples, some are oranges.
Nobody on Digital Point knows anything about anything.

/inb4 'which one will make me the most money?'
(2010-11-30, 10:30 PM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB couldn't handle something like UbuntuForums. MyBB is a much smaller scale option. After working with databases, and seeing how large and how badly the wrong script works on them, you notice that they aren't all apples, some are oranges.

I don't see why it couldn't. Sure a default install may not run the best but I'm sure they have done for optimization for UbuntuForums as well. The only thing I can see MyBB lacking is paid support which will most likely come with time much like there are companies dedicated to Drupal now.(Even without them there are many large sites that run on drupal)
(2010-11-30, 10:30 PM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB couldn't handle something like UbuntuForums. MyBB is a much smaller scale option. After working with databases, and seeing how large and how badly the wrong script works on them, you notice that they aren't all apples, some are oranges.

OK, so they can't be compared because in very specific cases they won't have the same function? Confused
(2010-12-01, 02:30 AM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]

OK, so they can't be compared because in very specific cases they won't have the same function? Confused

Because each has what they are made for. MyBB is not made for a giant forum. MyBB is made to be used from a small forum, to a large one. Vbull is made to suit medium to very large.
I think "medium" is between "small" and "large", Mark. They both have a lot of applications in common. To try and frame them as "incomparable" is pretty dishonest.
(2010-12-01, 02:45 AM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]Because each has what they are made for. MyBB is not made for a giant forum. MyBB is made to be used from a small forum, to a large one. Vbull is made to suit medium to very large.

Not stock, no. But I think it's quite foolish to assume that vBulletin users won't have to make changes and optimizations when their sites hit a certain point. If I ran a large forum I'd consider MyBB lightyears before vBulletin, due to the amount of bloat and unnecessary features, even if I had to make several modifications to MyBB.

I'm basing this on speculation and what I've read from vBulletin customers and such, of course.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7